Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Nov 14, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #4,081 of 40,527
Well okay there, low blow...

That was my mistake because I didn't realize listening with Bass Boost Off is much accurate before so I can't say much other than everyone makes hiccups. :xf_eek:

Besides I've been listening without using it since for a long time now.

And I think I'll probably ask Ryuzoh-san to mod the E12A to be an amp without any gain or bass boost whatsoever just to eliminate this particular problem. That, and likely ask him to reduce distortion and whatever that can be improved upon.

Since we've already veered a bit off topic here...

Why don't you just put that money towards a good DAP or DAC/Amp instead of modding the E12A? And no reason to completely eliminate bass boost from your world. It can add to musical enjoyment from time to time :wink:

Nov 14, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #4,082 of 40,527

Why don't you just put that money towards a good DAP or DAC/Amp instead of modding the E12A? And no reason to completely eliminate bass boost from your world. It can add to musical enjoyment from time to time
wink.gif

Like I said, plenty to choose considering I am on the rock bottom of things.

I'll probably get myself an ALO RX and pair it with an X3 II as they have same size dimensions which makes for perfect stack.

That...or I can just take a mile and get Mojo instead.

For a solid DAP alone, I'll likely just go with the Cayin N6. As I don't see myself spending over 3000 MYR (about $700 USD) for a DAP.

And yeah, I know bass boost can be enjoyable from time to time. Just don't find it mandatory and I find myself listening to it less and less as I've learned to appreciate a cleaner sound without much bass increase.

Nov 14, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #4,083 of 40,527

Why don't you just put that money towards a good DAP or DAC/Amp instead of modding the E12A? And no reason to completely eliminate bass boost from your world. It can add to musical enjoyment from time to time
wink.gif

I agree with this. Your sound can only be as good as your source. That starts with your music files then your dap or a dac. I would skip modding the e12 and invest towards a better source. Just remember, the only time you need to worry about not using bass boost is when evaluating iems, earphones, and headphones for reviews. Any other time listen how you want, bass boost, eq, whatever.

Nov 14, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #4,085 of 40,527

wink.gif

I agree with this. Your sound can only be as good as your source. That starts with your music files then your dap or a dac. I would skip modding the e12 and invest towards a better source. Just remember, the only time you need to worry about not using bass boost is when evaluating iems, earphones, and headphones for reviews. Any other time listen how you want, bass boost, eq, whatever.

Fair enough I guess.

If I am being stingy with my money though I see myself saving up for the Cayin N6 and just pair it with the TA-1 amp and call it done.

It's got extremely good synergy and sounded very nice and engaging without being too fatiguing.

Nov 14, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #4,086 of 40,527

I'll probably get myself an ALO RX and pair it with an X3 II as they have same size dimensions which makes for perfect stack.

For a solid DAP alone, I'll likely just go with the Cayin N6. As I don't see myself spending over 3000 MYR (about $700 USD) for a DAP.

And yeah, I know bass boost can be enjoyable from time to time. Just don't find it mandatory and I find myself listening to it less and less as I've learned to appreciate a cleaner sound without much bass increase.

In my opinion dont get the x3 and the alo. Spend that money on a better dap with a better dac and amp. You can get something like an cayin i5, pioneer xdp-300r, 100r, fiio x7, or several other players that have amazing sound and enough power to push any iem and even some full sized cans.

Nov 14, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #4,087 of 40,527
Rin1990: I know I keep beating the Shanling drum, but I'd suggest looking at Shanling M5, too. Darn good DAP without breaking the bank. Or Shanling M1 + Mojo. Two really good choices IMHO!

Well, like I said, if someone is selling it here I would go and check it. But sadly I don't see anyone here sell it. :frowning2:

Nov 14, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #4,088 of 40,527
Yes, a 14 driver CIEM with an ADEL module and variable tuning I understand for $2,700 but for $2,330 for 4+ feet of copper wire. Hehe

Fair point. I just think that for what it contributes to the sound, as well as the research, development, and labour that goes into every cable, the price isn't the most outrageous thing in the world. I'm definitely hard-pressed to find ANY copper cable that sounds like the 1960s. But, as always, to each his own. :)

Nov 14, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #4,089 of 40,527

In my opinion dont get the x3 and the alo. Spend that money on a better dap with a better dac and amp. You can get something like an cayin i5, pioneer xdp-300r, 100r, fiio x7, or several other players that have amazing sound and enough power to push any iem and even some full sized cans.

Yea I agree those are all good DAPs but I got a good interconnect and I sort of want to continue using it.

Maybe an X5 II or Cayin N5 will do since there's no i5 here.

And no, I am not really interested in the X7.

Nov 14, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #4,091 of 40,527

I don't have much experience with the Oriolus but the Zeus-R, compared to the Roxanne, is MUCH clearer, more resolving, airier, larger and more precise in imaging, and more neutral. However, it isn't as fun or punchy in the lower regions.

Is it lacking bass impact ? I like when the bass hits and are present 

Nov 14, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #4,092 of 40,527
Is it lacking bass impact ? I like when the bass hits and are present 

In terms of quantity, the Zeus-R delivers, I think, just enough to retain a musical signature whilst being neutral simultaneously. It's not like an ER-4 or a UERM where the bass is barely there. Think more along the lines of the UERR, except tighter and more coherent.

Quality-wise, in my experience, the ZR presents bass in a unique way, such that even if the impact isn't skull-rocking, it's very much present and noticeable due to its unmatched layering and air around each instrument.

So, against something like the Roxanne, it certainly loses out in quantity and the "fun" factor, but to my tastes, I'd much rather take the resolution, accuracy, and life-like sound of the ZR.

Keep in mind, I haven't listened to the original Zeus-XIV, much less a properly driven one, in ages, and I hear that one has a richer and fuller signature, so that might be more in line with your tastes.

Nov 14, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #4,095 of 40,527
What is the difference between zeus r and xiv?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back