Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jul 26, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #2,161 of 40,527
  I know absolutely nothing about watches, hence the length of time it took me to finally get this project going, but over the weekend I had a chance to finally take one apart and mess around. What do you guys think? 

Looks nice, but it would be nice to get a watch face of a skeleton watch in e.g. https://www.prestigetime.com/images/watches/mp7048-ss001-000_main.jpg?ver=1 , but it would be tough to fit.

Alternatively, it would be nice to do something similar to Zenith El Primero (Open), the top left open area, movement plus a few colourful jewels. http://www.zenith-watches.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image_boitier/488x488/170ec19af00183b5e0368529fc2daa2f/03_2080_4021_21_C496_1.jpg

Jul 26, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #2,162 of 40,527
Any zeus original owners here have the mojo and listen to music such as kings of leon, chilli peppers, ed sheeran etc.... hows the sound?

I have the Zeus, and I drive it from a Mojo, but I don't listen to the bands you have mentioned. However, my favorite (non-EDM) music includes stuff from Bryan Adams, Scorpions, REM & Oasis, and I must say, vocals have never sounded so sweet before. That lush midrange is combined with a deep, huge soundstage and some truly stellar imaging to afford the best rock experience I've ever heard on an IEM.

Jul 26, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #2,163 of 40,527

I have the Zeus, and I drive it from a Mojo, but I don't listen to the bands you have mentioned. However, my favorite (non-EDM) music includes stuff from Bryan Adams, Scorpions, REM & Oasis, and I must say, vocals have never sounded so sweet before. That lush midrange is combined with a deep, huge soundstage and some truly stellar imaging to afford the best rock experience I've ever heard on an IEM.

I will dabble in music like this and Kings of Leon, and Zeus-XIV is my favorite ciem within my collection for this. 

Jul 26, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #2,164 of 40,527
I also listen to oasis oftenbl aswell as bon jovi, guns and roses etc. Im glad you find it so great sounding as I have decided to invest in a zeus to go with my mojo. I have been advised to go custom. Do you feel there is any major sound difference in custom to universal?

Jul 26, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #2,165 of 40,527
  I will dabble in music like this and Kings of Leon, and Zeus-XIV is my favorite ciem within my collection for this. 

Yep. The Zeus is an absolute beast with rock music. It's hard to still become emotionally overwhelmed with music that you love, and have heard over a thousand times in your life, but the Zeus does manage to give me the goosebumps every now and then. Quite an achievement, I must say. 
smile.gif

I also listen to oasis oftenbl aswell as bon jovi, guns and roses etc. Im glad you find it so great sounding as I have decided to invest in a zeus to go with my mojo. I have been advised to go custom. Do you feel there is any major sound difference in custom to universal?

Guns N' Roses and Bon Jovi sound absolutely fantastic with the Zeus from a Mojo. The latter is a fantastic DAC, and does wonders with IEMs. To me, they (Zeus and Mojo) are a perfect match.

Anyway, I can't really say how much better the custom is over a universal, as my last audition with the universal was several months ago. I was floored by what I heard then, which resulted in one of the quickest IEM purchases that I have made in my life! Still, I'd suggest going the custom route, as the comfort factor is a major bonus. You could wear a well fitting CIEM for hours, and you'd barely remember that they were there all the time.

Jul 26, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #2,166 of 40,527
Yep. The Zeus is an absolute beast with rock music. It's hard to still become emotionally overwhelmed with music that you love, and have heard over a thousand times in your life, but the Zeus does manage to give me the goosebumps every now and then. Quite an achievement, I must say. :smile:

Guns N' Roses and Bon Jovi sound absolutely fantastic with the Zeus from a Mojo. The latter is a fantastic DAC, and does wonders with IEMs. To me, they (Zeus and Mojo) are a perfect match.

Anyway, I can't really say how much better the custom is over a universal, as my last audition with the universal was several months ago. I was floored by what I heard then, which resulted in one of the quickest IEM purchases that I have made in my life! Still, I'd suggest going the custom route, as the comfort factor is a major bonus. You could wear a well fitting CIEM for hours, and you'd barely remember that they were there all the time.
thanks I'll have to go that route really at that price point. Hey, how does rap or hip hop sound through the zeus? Rock/acoustics and rap/hip hop is 90% of my listening, the other 10% being general chart music.

Jul 26, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #2,167 of 40,527

Choose customs if you want the best fit; choose universals if you'd like to share this amazing sound with your mates, and it doesn't hurt that you can tip-roll, and God forbid, sell them off later.

Massive Oasis fan here, I've not heard an IEM that makes "Some Might Say" sound nice. Most likely a poorly-mastered record.

Jul 27, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #2,168 of 40,527
Choose customs if you want the best fit; choose universals if you'd like to share this amazing sound with your mates, and it doesn't hurt that you can tip-roll, and God forbid, sell them off later.

Massive Oasis fan here, I've not heard an IEM that makes "Some Might Say" sound nice. Most likely a poorly-mastered record.
so sound doesnt really change? Hmmm ok cool

Jul 27, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #2,169 of 40,527
so sound doesnt really change? Hmmm ok cool

If the seal and insertion depth are optimum, universals should sound 95% similar to customs. I can't remember who said that unfortunately... JH?

Jul 27, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #2,170 of 40,527
thanks I'll have to go that route really at that price point. Hey, how does rap or hip hop sound through the zeus? Rock/acoustics and rap/hip hop is 90% of my listening, the other 10% being general chart music.

Sorry mate, can't help you there. I don't listen to rap/hip-hop.

Still, I'd urge you to try going for a custom Zeus if you are on the fence. Besides the obvious benefit of added comfort, you get to customise the design of your IEMs. Coupled with the custom fit, you get something that is truly unique and personal.

Jul 27, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #2,171 of 40,527

Looks nice, but it would be nice to get a watch face of a skeleton watch in e.g. https://www.prestigetime.com/images/watches/mp7048-ss001-000_main.jpg?ver=1 , but it would be tough to fit.

Alternatively, it would be nice to do something similar to Zenith El Primero (Open), the top left open area, movement plus a few colourful jewels. http://www.zenith-watches.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image_boitier/488x488/170ec19af00183b5e0368529fc2daa2f/03_2080_4021_21_C496_1.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion! Hmmmm maybe i'll offer different tiers based on the complexity of the design and the brand/materials used. Will keep trying! Anything else in particular you guys would like to see?

Jul 27, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #2,172 of 40,527

I listen to a fair amount of hip hop, and it sounds pretty solid through the Zeus-R, but slightly better through the original Zeus. The one thing that always backfires is a lot of hip-hop is really poorly mastered, and you can tell with both the Zeus-R and the OG due to both being highly revealing IEMs. However, as with all music, the well-mastered albums sound great. Logic's "The Incredible True Story" is stellar, as are the last two Freddie Gibbs albums and pretty much anything by Juicy J or Wiz Khalifa. On the opposite end of that, Big K.R.I.T.'s tracks tend to sound like hot garbage more often than not, but K.R.I.T. always sounds better in a non-critical listening environment, such as being bumped from a car stereo with 12" subs loud enough to wake the neighbors. 
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 27, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #2,173 of 40,527
I listen to a fair amount of hip hop, and it sounds pretty solid through the Zeus-R, but slightly better through the original Zeus. The one thing that always backfires is a lot of hip-hop is really poorly mastered, and you can tell with both the Zeus-R and the OG due to both being highly revealing IEMs. However, as with all music, the well-mastered albums sound great. Logic's "The Incredible True Story" is stellar, as are the last two Freddie Gibbs albums and pretty much anything by Juicy J or Wiz Khalifa. On the opposite end of that, Big K.R.I.T.'s tracks tend to sound like hot garbage more often than not, but K.R.I.T. always sounds better in a non-critical listening environment, such as being bumped from a car stereo with 12" subs loud enough to wake the neighbors. :evil:  
lol. I will check that album out. Listen to much tupac through OG zeus? Its OG zeus Im wanting

Jul 27, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #2,174 of 40,527
lol. I will check that album out. Listen to much tupac through OG zeus? Its OG zeus Im wanting

Strangely, I don't have any Tupac FLACs. I'll have to see if I can dig some of my old CDs out of storage to rip them properly.

Jul 27, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #2,175 of 40,527

Hey Nick just wondering have you heard of the R edition? I can't recall whether you did or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back