Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 8, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #11,581 of 40,559
Check this out. sorry for the bad quality, mobile used.. Dynamic Drivers.
2018-03-08 15.35.18.jpg

Mar 8, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #11,582 of 40,559
'You can have 3 V-shaped iems that will have little to nothing in common when it comes to their actual sound.

There you go:
Sennheiser IE80
Rhapsodio Galaxy
64Audio Fourte

All 3 are U/V shaped in their own ways, but have little in common in their signature.

Good point. And didn't I say that. Not V but v :ksc75smile:

I can relate to this. LPG's mids is actually forward and has good density. But in comparison to something like the Hugo 2, which has very neutral bass and treble, it sounds a bit V-shaped, because the LPG has a slightly more authoritative bass and a brighter treble.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #11,583 of 40,559
Great post for we newbies to IEM's Nic. All too often I read about the curves etc... and then when I've heard said IEM, I wonder what folks are talking about. Some are and some aren't 'musical' or even warm or mellow or bright... Again, it's always about implementing things teh way teh designer wants them to sound. There are so many tricks in designing a transducer like boosting certain frequencies to get a desired sound. I think a curve is a nice place to start or even a graph, but hearing is believing. It's just so hard without a store. This is the reason I found this thread and many of you who review. I would never like a 'true' V shaped IEM, however there are some that are called V or U shaped, that I could live with and enjoy based on listening tests. Not so in 2 channel audio, lol.. Thanks for clarifying Nic.

Mar 8, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #11,584 of 40,559
From the pics, it looks like the nozzle of the X is on an angle vs the Zeus that is flat. Is that the case? More curious than anything else. OH, those really are nice looking.
I actually think so yes, both sides is a bit more angled (up) (legend-x) compared to the zeus being more straight.

Mar 8, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #11,586 of 40,559
Great post for we newbies to IEM's Nic. All too often I read about the curves etc... and then when I've heard said IEM, I wonder what folks are talking about. Some are and some aren't 'musical' or even warm or mellow or bright... Again, it's always about implementing things teh way teh designer wants them to sound. There are so many tricks in designing a transducer like boosting certain frequencies to get a desired sound. I think a curve is a nice place to start or even a graph, but hearing is believing. It's just so hard without a store. This is the reason I found this thread and many of you who review. I would never like a 'true' V shaped IEM, however there are some that are called V or U shaped, that I could live with and enjoy based on listening tests. Not so in 2 channel audio, lol.. Thanks for clarifying Nic.

General terms are great only if they're backed by descriptive, technical information. The latter part of that sentence has gradually become lost within the modern crop of reviewers. Though, I'm glad to see SO many budding writers - educated by Nic's recent efforts on the shoot-out thread (myself included) - use these terms properly.

V shape is not necessarily bad. Thanks for YOUR thoughts thebratts no "damage" control needed.

But, using the term "v-shaped" without proper elaboration can be. @thebratts was careful to say that it's v-shaped relative to the Zeus-XIV, but we can't all be so mindful. :wink:

Mar 8, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #11,587 of 40,559
If it's made out of vibranium, it's going to cost more than a Ferrari...:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

An alloy used in Ferrari's? lol

General terms are great only if they're backed by descriptive, technical information. The latter part of that sentence has gradually become lost within the modern crop of reviewers. Though, I'm glad to see SO many budding writers - educated by Nic's recent efforts on the shoot-out thread (myself included) - use these terms properly.

But, using the term "v-shaped" without proper elaboration can be. @thebratts was careful to say that it's v-shaped relative to the Zeus-XIV, but we can't all be so mindful. :wink:

The irony of some of the 'shapes' folks discuss is that I feel many are actually W shaped when you get to it. Boosting at say 60hz (kind of like most rooms in 2 channel have an excitement at this freq and most don't even realize it. It augments the bass unrealistically). Boosting in the upper mids and then again at say 12khz. A true W if you would. It's like renting a car. Before I drive off, I go to the tone controls and zero them out, stream something on Tidal and figure out if I want to boost anything. I find that nearly all the drivers before me have boosted the bass and treble a ton and often times even the mids. Just human nature. the need to change things, lol. ..... broad based generalization I know.

Mar 8, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #11,588 of 40,559

Thanks for telling me what I was saying??? Since I was responding to thebratts post I thought it might be clear what I referencing. Again a V shape is not always bad, especially when comparing it to another midforward IEM. No damage control needed for YOUR opinion thebratts.

Mar 8, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #11,589 of 40,559
Thanks for telling me what I was saying??? Since I was responding to thebratts post I thought it might be clear what I referencing. Again a V shape is not always bad, especially when comparing it to another midforward IEM. No damage control needed for YOUR opinion thebratts.
Lol, why do you keep saying 'damage control'? I don't think anybody was implying there was something damaging with what @thebratts said. If anything, I agree with him. I just noted that a v-shaped signature can be interpreted in as many different ways as there are listeners.

Mar 8, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #11,591 of 40,559
Lol, why do you keep saying 'damage control'? I don't think anybody was implying there was something damaging with what @thebratts said. If anything, I agree with him. I just noted that a v-shaped signature can be interpreted in as many different ways as there are listeners.
Hey Nic..."'V-shaped' is one of those definitions that tends to do more damage than good when describing signatures" that's why i said damage control. The point is all of this is open to interpretation...how someone describes, what someone hears etc...it's all very personal.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #11,592 of 40,559
Hey Nic..."'V-shaped' is one of those definitions that tends to do more damage than good when describing signatures" that's why i said damage control. The point is all of this is open to interpretation...how someone describes, what someone hears etc...it's all very personal.
Ah, that's what ticked you off. I guess using the word 'damage' can do more damage than good hehe.

Mar 8, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #11,593 of 40,559

Don't get me wrong, dude - I'm not faulting @thebratts at all. I was echoing Nic's sentiment that nowadays, you have to do more when describing a signature than just say "v-shaped." On its own, it's an incredibly vague term, just like musical or fun or engaging. If you hadn't noticed, Nic and I commended @thebratts for elaborating that it was more v-shaped than the Zeus-XIV, which provided a source of reference. For short impressions, that small additive is more than enough. Again, we're neither faulting a v-shaped tuning nor someone enjoying a v-shaped tuning; we're faulting the use of the term v-shaped without any elaboration for the ambiguity it could bring. There has been zero disagreement and/or conflict between myself, Nic and @thebratts, and I don't see what damage you're trying to control here. I hope I've made that clear.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #11,594 of 40,559
Ah, that's what ticked you off. I guess using the word 'damage' can do more damage than good hehe.
I am sorry if you assumed I was ticked off, on the contrary. I always encourage opinions in an open forum such as this even when they don't align with mine. An example, would be the IE800S, it has V shape but it is not that the mids are sucked out of the mix. It doesn't make it a bad thing. When comparing something as the IE800S to XIV it would be V shaped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back