Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)

1. ctsooner22
    I just roll it round my fingers. Top two adn bottom two. It's like you weave the wire in a figure 8. The last few inches are used to wrap around the middle of the 8 so the wire stays stored neatly and will unfurl without any tangling regardless of how thin or thick it is. No stress on the cable either.

2. subguy812
    I forget...you have heard the Phantom?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  3. Deezel177
    Nic recommends the Eos for the Phantom. But, considering it's limited quantities nowadays, the Ares II would work fine as well.

The best way to coil a cable with minimum wear and zero tangle is the Over/Under Method. This video illustrates the method with much longer cables and much larger bundles, but the same principles apply to an IEM cable.

choisan, Kerouac, ranfan and 2 others like this.
  4. olddude
    olddude
    No sting here. I don't operate on hype. If I did I would have bought a Mojo when that was the favorite flavor (anyone notice how many many many of them appeared on the For Sale boards after that rush waned?).

Mython
    Meh... that's simply a matter of statistics - if a product sells 10x more units than others, then one might very reasonably anticipate 10x more units being offered for sale on the secondhand market, the percentage of resales remaining proportionally similar to lesser-selling competing products.

Olddude
    Don't really agree in this case. WHY they are for sale is just as important as that they ARE for sale. I have the feeling from watching the flow that lots of folks got swept up in the hype rush, bought Mojos, thought, what, why?, and sold them. I felt the urge myself, but fought it off.

5. Lucif6r6th
    Good thing I have the EOS, although i would've to re-terminate it :)

6. Mython Contributor
    Forgive me for saying this, but your question seems a little peculiar - if you don't want to coil your cable, then there's not many alternative shapes you can bend the cable into, for storage, so maybe you should just keep them straight, instead...

7. flinkenick
    Well to clarify, the Phantom 'should' be listened to with Ares II, it has the most accurate timbre. As an alternative I like to use Eos for genres like pop and EDM, as it becomes a more musical neutral. I would say I've listened to Ares II 70% of the time, and Eos 25%. If you happen to have a Silverfi IEM-R5 lying around then def check that out as well hehe.

moneypls, Kerouac, Deezel177 and 2 others like this.
  8. proedros
    what cable will Phantom come packaged with ?

9. flinkenick
    All EE iems will come with Ares II.

10. Wyville
    While I would usually always insist on a demo, in this particular case I did not need to. Nic and I have been discussing signatures for over a year and we know each other's preferences and biases really well, so when he mentioned the "5-driver" (Phantom) to me a while back, he knew how well those fit the criteria I had set out for my TOTL purchase. As he explained the tuning to me in great detail it was indeed just going over my checklist to check every box. It is just a really fortunate coincidence that Nic and I prioritise many of the same things and that is what makes it so exciting. Although I would have seriously considered buying them otherwise as well, because I think it is the coolest thing that a friend of mine drew his ideal FR curve and Empire Ears had the guts to make that curve a reality.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    ranfan, ctsooner22, moneypls and 5 others like this.
  11. Wyville
    :innocent: NOOOOOOOOOoooooo!!!! :innocent:
    :imp: Oh, you wuss! :imp:

flinkenick and proedros like this.
  12. goodvibes
    If I have a cable that's prone to memory, I simply wind it the other direction intermittently. Free hang the cable to allow it to rotate itself on wind if needed, 3 finger wind and start it the plug end one time and the IEM end the next time. Might as well do something that you are willing to repeat (easy) and be compact which is a part of having an IEM. I never wrap wind power cables etc and do the loop and gather but with a 4' thin cable, it's unreasonable, especially when it's short enough to hang out on unravel.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  13. moneypls
    How about with 1960s?

14. Lucif6r6th
    I don't think it will be a good match.
    The Ares II already isn't a very warm or natural sounding cable. The 1960s may add unnecessary warmth and thickness to the sound which goes against the philosophy of the phantom.
    However, ymmv~

15. NaiveSound
    Oh Boi, i wish Zeus came out with Ares 2 when I got zeusZ

flinkenick likes this.