Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 19, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #10,321 of 40,559
EP series has 3 models- phantom 1h2m2l drivers, esr and evr both have 3 differs of 1h1m1l
X series has 4 models- legend x, nemesis, vantage, bravado

Jan 19, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #10,322 of 40,559
Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #10,323 of 40,559
Alright, here's my shot. Hope it won't be too sloppy since I can speak Mandarin and Cantonese, but not read them perfectly.

So the first model of attention is the Phantom.

empire0119_ep_phantom.jpg

According to the article, the Phantom -- being a 5BA x 5-way design -- gave off an extremely transparent and layered sound signature that many audio lovers would enjoy, both enthusiasts and those who start out. The transparency was apparently so impressive that it could potentially give the Zeus unit a run for its money.

empire0119_ep_esr.jpg

The next in line is the Empire ESR -- which stands for Empire Studio Reference.

As the name implies, it goes for the uncolored reference sound signature. 3BA and 3-way design. The article mentioned it as one of the most balanced-sounding, with resolution just being one or two steps behind the Phantom.

empire0119_ep_evr.jpg

And finally, we have the entry model -- the EVR

Which stands for Empire Vocal Reference.

It's designed specifically for singers on stage. Same driver configuration as the ESR, but with far more focus on midrange, especially vocals of both male and female.

I will add the X series on my next post.

Jan 19, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #10,324 of 40,559
hold on, let me cut it out

Jan 19, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #10,327 of 40,559
Aaaanyway....here we go.

empire0119_x_legendx.jpg

So...first up in line -- the big guy himself -- LEGEND X

So the X series are hybrid units that use a 9mm dynamic diaphragm on what is called Weapon IX (implying the diameter of the DD) along with their BA drivers. Not sure how to translate this -- but it seems like this DD has some sort of rare earth-magnetic property within the design itself that allows for a very energetic and musical presentation of sound. The LEGEND X has 2 of these W9 DDs along with 5 BA drivers. Coupled with a very curious 10-way crossover configuration, it seems to have created what the article wrote as a sound that's extremely dynamic, musical, energetic, resolving and overall just very powerful sound that has very lush midrange with unbelievable bass.

empire0119_x_nemesis.jpg

Next up we have the NEMESIS.

Uses 2 W9 DDs with 3 BA drivers. With a very interesting 8-way crossover design, the article described the Nemesis to be extremely large sounding, very wide and deep soundstage with great amount of bass dynamism that DD fans would love, and a very "passionate and emotional" presentation of midrange and treble, but not quite as extended or resolving as the Legend X.

empire0119_x_vantage.jpg

Now, comes the VANTAGE.

This one uses 2 W9 DDs, and one BA driver. With a 5-way crossover design -- there's not much details about this other than it having a very attractive and addictive low-frequency with nice treble to boot, could be a tastefully tuned V-shape sound.

empire0119_x_bravado.jpg

Finally, the entry model -- BRAVADO.

This one uses 1 W9 DD and 1 BA driver with 3-way crossover design. Not much to describe from the article other than it being a very nice and natural sounding IEM with impressive dynamism.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #10,330 of 40,559
Aaaanyway....here we go.

empire0119_x_legendx.jpg

So...first up in line -- the big guy himself -- LEGEND X

So the X series are hybrid units that use a 9mm dynamic diaphragm on what is called Weapon IX (implying the diameter of the DD) along with their BA drivers. Not sure how to translate this -- but it seems like this DD has some sort of rare earth-magnetic property within the design itself that allows for a very energetic and musical presentation of sound. The LEGEND X has 2 of these W9 DDs along with 5 BA drivers. Coupled with a very curious 10-way crossover configuration, it seems to have created what the article wrote as a sound that's extremely dynamic, musical, energetic, resolving and overall just very powerful sound that has very lush midrange with unbelievable bass.

empire0119_x_nemesis.jpg

Next up we have the NEMESIS.

Uses 2 W9 DDs with 3 BA drivers. With a very interesting 8-way crossover design, the article described the Nemesis to be extremely large sounding, very wide and deep soundstage with great amount of bass dynamism that DD fans would love, and a very "passionate and emotional" presentation of midrange and treble, but not quite as extended or resolving as the Legend X.

empire0119_x_vantage.jpg

Now, comes the VANTAGE.

This one uses 2 W9 DDs, and one BA driver. With a 5-way crossover design -- there's not much details about this other than it having a very attractive and addictive low-frequency with nice treble to boot, could be a tastefully tuned V-shape sound.

empire0119_x_bravado.jpg

Finally, the entry model -- BRAVADO.

This one uses 1 W9 DD and 1 BA driver with 3-way crossover design. Not much to describe from the article other than it being a very nice and natural sounding IEM with impressive dynamism.

According to Google Translate, the high number of crossovers is mainly attributed to the dynamic drivers. It says the crossovers were aligned to minimise phase distortion to increase the IEM's effective signal-to-noise ratio.

Jan 19, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #10,331 of 40,559
According to Google Translate, the high number of crossovers is mainly attributed to the dynamic drivers. It says the crossovers were aligned to minimise phase distortion to increase the IEM's effective signal-to-noise ratio.

Ah, I see. I must've missed that when reading the article. No wonder it sounded like I missed something.

Thanks for clearing that up, bro.

Jan 19, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #10,332 of 40,559
Wow, this is all a bit ambitious and we are the ones who will win in the end, IF they sound as great as they seem to based on a few folks thoughts as well as the descriptions. Can't wait to hear all of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back