Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 6, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #10,096 of 40,559
I take your point, Mim' but I wouldn't wish any company to catch flak on account of me being playful, from time to time, in their Head-Fi threads.

A little levity, here & there, is only intended to lighten the tone, as it can get a little obsessive and dour, on the forums. FWIW, I don't feel either of the aforementioned companies are particularly prominent in the hyping game - I can think of several other companies who would spring to mind before them.

cheers beerchug EMOTICON.gif

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #10,097 of 40,559
Guys, if you feel that an IEM that has DEEP, natural bass isn't enough bass, then get the X. I have spoken to a couple who have heard the Phantom and they RAVE about how great it is from top to bottom. True sub bass even. It's just that it's got natural tone from top to bottom. There isn't a V curve etc... I'll be at Camjom most probably and can't wait to get mine.

Jan 6, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #10,098 of 40,559
Guys, if you feel that an IEM that has DEEP, natural bass isn't enough bass, then get the X. I have spoken to a couple who have heard the Phantom and they RAVE about how great it is from top to bottom. True sub bass even. It's just that it's got natural tone from top to bottom. There isn't a V curve etc... I'll be at Camjom most probably and can't wait to get mine.

None of the guys who’ve raved about it have had the decency to send me one, unfortunately. :wink:

Jan 7, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #10,099 of 40,559
None of the guys who’ve raved about it have had the decency to send me one, unfortunately. :wink:
Haha I think they'd be in hot water if they did!

Jan 7, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #10,100 of 40,559
I agree with all the points regarding hissing. Although it’s not really an issue if you have silent DAPs, it bothers someone like me who uses CIEMs at work. I often work with a variety of studio gear (from mixers, to Aviom monitor controllers, to live recording outputs from my laptop) and all of them tend to have unlistenable noise floors. Even after using my iFi Ear Buddy, a small amount of hiss still comes through, and trying to combat that hiss with volume just ends uo overloading my ears with SPL. Hopefully EE introduces a small internal fix to make sure this doesn’t happen with future releases; I’d rather need more volume to drive the IEMs any day. Though, I did listen to a couple EE demo units at MS, such as the Spartan and the Athena (these demos are quite new; only a few months old), and they seem to have less hiss than my customs do. So, it looks like Empire have listened to customer feedback and we can expect to have hiss-free IEMs in the future. :)

Omg, Deezel177, you saved my ass ! Saw your post regarding the iFi Ear Buddy... I immediately went to Stereo to try and it eliminated the hiss on my Zeus XR and AK380+Amp ! Bought 2 on the spot !

Gosh, I'm hearing so much more things without the damn hiss - can't thank you more :)

Cheers !

Jan 7, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #10,102 of 40,559
ΧR has zero hiss on the sony WM1A , just a friendly heads up
Wait till you drive the Zeus from a portable amp monster like the Rx Mk3-B+. It sounds like a sleeping dragon.. Until you hit play, that is. :D

Anyway, I'm real stoked for an EE hybrid. @Jack Vang - Will you be bringing these goodies with you to CanJam Singapore? :wink:

Jan 7, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #10,107 of 40,559
Jan 8, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #10,108 of 40,559
I agree with all the points regarding hissing. Although it’s not really an issue if you have silent DAPs, it bothers someone like me who uses CIEMs at work. I often work with a variety of studio gear (from mixers, to Aviom monitor controllers, to live recording outputs from my laptop) and all of them tend to have unlistenable noise floors. Even after using my iFi Ear Buddy, a small amount of hiss still comes through, and trying to combat that hiss with volume just ends uo overloading my ears with SPL. Hopefully EE introduces a small internal fix to make sure this doesn’t happen with future releases; I’d rather need more volume to drive the IEMs any day. Though, I did listen to a couple EE demo units at MS, such as the Spartan and the Athena (these demos are quite new; only a few months old), and they seem to have less hiss than my customs do. So, it looks like Empire have listened to customer feedback and we can expect to have hiss-free IEMs in the future. :)
The solution would be to turn up the gain and use a 2nd quiet amp in series. One that can either handle the output or you could knock down the gain between amps with the IFImatch and without the sonic detriment you get when using it in from of phones. Being able to turn up the 1st amp will mask the noise along with reducing gain before and/or in the second quieter amp.

Jan 8, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #10,109 of 40,559
The solution would be to turn up the gain and use a 2nd quiet amp in series. One that can either handle the output or you could knock down the gain between amps with the IFImatch and without the sonic detriment you get when using it in from of phones. Being able to turn up the 1st amp will mask the noise along with reducing gain before and/or in the second quieter amp.

That’s actually not a bad idea. It’ll probably a hassle to set up everytime, but it would definitely help turning down the noise. Thanks for the suggestion man!

Jan 8, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #10,110 of 40,559
I"m sure it's because this is an EE thread, but the excitement over the prototype and hopefully soon to be released models from EE is palpable. I'll take mine with a slow burn up to the release date. Leaking info is fun in real time for those following. The cool thing is that this is much more than hype. I've followed Noble's releases as well as Campfire adn CA's. This seems like a couple of potential world beaters, which the others weren't. They were upgrades (to most) over what the companies had out previously, but the Legend X seems to be a totally new design adn one that will probably be as good as any of the V shaped models on the market and the other one could possibly be the best sounding reference CIEM that goes from top to bottom as extended as even the 64 Tia's.

To think that EE has or will have an IEM for any taste and most budgets is pretty amazing as none of the IEM makers are large companies. They are truly trying to grab much of the market share that they don't already own. We as consumers benefit most and that's going to force others who make great IEM's in their own right, to up their game quickly or else lose what they have. Win win is how I look at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back