Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 3, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #8,476 of 40,539
To be frank, its been quite a while since I hear the name Ryuzoh pop back up.

The only time I heard of him was through a headfonia review that talked about modding a Mojo to have a balanced output.

And apparently, guy's a wizard (not sure to what degree) and can make just about anything sound wonderful.

I am a bit scared to know how much he can do to a Fiio X1 with its modding potential due to such low cost.

What's great about Ryuzoh's mods are they're usually cost-proportionate to the actual device itself, i.e. his AK70 mod isn't as costly as his AK240 mod, which isn't as costly as his AK380 mod, etc. So, you might be in luck with a decently budget Fiio X1 mod on the table :D

Wow, is your dad an audiophile too? How i wish i have some siblings or friends who share the same interest as me:frowning2:

He's not as crazy as we are here, but a lot of my friends/family are musicians/audio-literate, so it's certainly a very familiar circle :wink:

Sep 3, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #8,477 of 40,539
What's great about Ryuzoh's mods are they're usually cost-proportionate to the actual device itself, i.e. his AK70 mod isn't as costly as his AK240 mod, which isn't as costly as his AK380 mod, etc. So, you might be in luck with a decently budget Fiio X1 mod on the table :D

That's good to hear...but maybe someday I will see whether I want to put my Fiio X1 on the line or not.

Granted, the old PCM5142 DAC isn't all too good compared to other more versatile DACs out there like AKM or CS DACs...but maybe Ryuzoh can do some magic to it that will make the implementation better. Just maybe...

Sep 3, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #8,478 of 40,539
Its not about loaded or not, theres lots of sacrifices behind it, less partying etc, when I am eating bread with plain water, no1 knows:frowning2:

LOOOOOL thank you for this.

Sep 3, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #8,479 of 40,539

He's not as crazy as we are here, but a lot of my friends/family are musicians/audio-literate, so it's certainly a very familiar circle :wink:

Is Ryuzoh the man behind Musashi mod?

I would consider modding my LPG, but like you mentioned the mod costs as much as the device itself.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #8,480 of 40,539

I would consider modding my LPG, but like you mentioned the mod costs as much as the device itself.

By that logic, I wonder if modding my Fiio X1 would cost me 499 MYR ($116 USD) which is the price for the player itself...

Sep 3, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #8,483 of 40,539

Yes, he is. His mods are definitely on the pricier side, but I feel the investment is worth it if you already love the inherent signature, portability, and UI of your current DAP, which is why I gave my AK70 the treatment in the first place.

Oops. I thought we were on Nic's thread. Just realized this is EE thread.

Same dude, I've been getting Head-Fi alerts in the tens lately, all from different threads :D

Sep 4, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #8,484 of 40,539
Oops. I thought we were on Nic's thread. Just realized this is EE thread.
Same dude, I've been getting Head-Fi alerts in the tens lately, all from different threads :D
[In the best Queen's English]Frightfully sorry old chaps if I had been contributing to that! Been coming down with a touch of procrastination. :D
tumblr_n8tmg5YpKC1s2hz1mo1_400.gif

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #8,485 of 40,539
Guys, I came up with a simple LPG mod that sounds great over 2 years ago and can be done by anyone competent. A little tricky to get the leads solidly connected but it's not brain surgery, reversible and does not require a complete disassembly (though I did to have a look). It's a very low value capacitor that simply smoothes out the power supply and makes the notes sound more connected with a more cohesive whole. Less analytical without losing the clarity you bought it for. Most mods address the power supply but it's generally better to not reinvent the wheel as the manufacturers know what they are doing. Completely changing values and type of components can have you sounding very, very different than the sound you actually bought it for. Modders, me included, don't know more than the fellows that made the thing.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/introducing-lotoo-paw-gold.744346/page-70

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #8,486 of 40,539
It's a pity though that what you share doesn't apply for a peasant like me who only owns a Fiio x1 and E12A stack :D

But great share nonetheless

Sep 4, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #8,487 of 40,539
It's a pity though that what you share doesn't apply for a peasant like me who only owns a Fiio x1 and E12A stack :D

But great share nonetheless

If it's any consolation I'm making do with a humble sony a35 :p

Anyway, had the Cerberus in for about a week or so now and time for an update.

The right fits, and fits very well. Just slides right in and fits comfortably, that's the ear that has always caused trouble in the past. The left also fits but feels just a tad loose compared to the right. I also don't get much in the way of isolation as I can hear people talking in the background with music playing. So guessing that the left needs just a little bit of thickening then I think we are good to go. Am loath to send these back as I don't get along well with universals, but will be worth it in the long run. Won't comment much on the sound as don't think I'm getting the whole picture. I do like what I'm hearing though.

Thanks

Sep 4, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #8,488 of 40,539
If it's any consolation I'm making do with a humble sony a35 :p

Anyway, had the Cerberus in for about a week or so now and time for an update.

The right fits, and fits very well. Just slides right in and fits comfortably, that's the ear that has always caused trouble in the past. The left also fits but feels just a tad loose compared to the right. I also don't get much in the way of isolation as I can hear people talking in the background with music playing. So guessing that the left needs just a little bit of thickening then I think we are good to go. Am loath to send these back as I don't get along well with universals, but will be worth it in the long run. Won't comment much on the sound as don't think I'm getting the whole picture. I do like what I'm hearing though.

Thanks

Hey at least you've a better player than me lol.

And the Cerberus is quite a good IEM. The bass packs quite a punch from my last experience.

Sep 4, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #8,489 of 40,539
So I have a stupid question, so I have the Zeus-XR Adel showing up in the mail tomorrow and it’s my first set of IEMS, but here’s my question. I keep hearing people say they turned their ADEL off for various reason, how do you turn your Zeus-XR Adel into non-ADEL?

Sep 4, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #8,490 of 40,539
So I have a stupid question, so I have the Zeus-XR Adel showing up in the mail tomorrow and it’s my first set of IEMS, but here’s my question. I keep hearing people say they turned their ADEL off for various reason, how do you turn your Zeus-XR Adel into non-ADEL?
close the mam or buy a carrot module

Users who are viewing this thread

Back