Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Nov 28, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #391 of 40,559
  If they sound nearly as good as they look, they must be amazing! Congratulations, FlySweep! 

Went with the classic look for the past I see =P Looks awesome!

How long was the wait for ya? :O

Thanks fellas.. mine's nowhere near as fancy as Cotnijoe's.. but I dig the clean, simple look these days and favor the clear faceplate (since I always marvel at the internals of IEMs.. some serious craftsmanship to cram all that goodness in there and make beautiful sound come out the other end!).  Wait was just about two weeks I think.  I'll have pics of the box and things up.. man, it's swanky!  EE rolls out the red carpet.. everything inside is even cleanly laid out.  Attention to detail.. I appreciate that.

Nov 28, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #392 of 40,559

Thanks fellas.. mine's nowhere near as fancy as Cotnijoe's.. but I dig the clean, simple look these days and favor the clear faceplate (since I always marvel at the internals of IEMs.. some serious craftsmanship to cram all that goodness in there and make beautiful sound come out the other end!).  Wait was just about two weeks I think.  I'll have pics of the box and things up.. man, it's swanky!  EE rolls out the red carpet.. everything inside is even cleanly laid out.  Attention to detail.. I appreciate that.

Haha mine didnt even arrive yet!

Nov 28, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #393 of 40,559
First listening session

I have given up on listening with Lotoo Paw Gold because of significant hiss, which is sad because apart from hiss, they sound better with the Paw I would say. I might need to get a less sensitive version.

I am sticking to the  AK240SS out of which the Zeus sound great, I just have the feeling the Paw can do better. I tange.ried to drive it balanced from my AK, but not significnt change.

Nothing to say comfort wise, the spinfit tips work well with these. The build quality is very good, and it is very nice to have an upgraded cables straight with the Zeus. On the other hand, it seems normal at this price range.

I did some listening and a little bit of preliminary comparison signature wise with the SE5 Ultimate. Both have quite differente signature. The SE5 is a natural sounding neutral with smooth and detailed sound. The Zeus has more coloration for sure, the mids are slightly fuller, there is more bass quantity. The bass is not overbearing, just more than SE5 on first listen, but with impeccable control so far, and very nice depth and layering. The trebble is extended and has a nice sparkle, not the airiest I have heard but nonetheless very good without being harsh.

This is still very early stage, but the Zeus seems like a very engaging iem, emotions done right. It seem to be a bit on the warm side but with nice trebble extension. What is impressive so far is the density of the sound, if feels almost palpable, very solid, and ultra detailed.

Once again my main issue at this stage (despite the fact that neutral heads might not like this signature) is hiss. I think it should be a bit more versatile. On the other hand, I don't know how it would sound with lower sensitivity.

I will do some extensive listening and more comparisons to my other iems of course.

Nov 28, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #394 of 40,559
First listening session

I have given up on listening with Lotoo Paw Gold because of significant hiss, which is sad because apart from hiss, they sound better with the Paw I would say. I might need to get a less sensitive version.

(... snip ...)

Once again my main issue at this stage (despite the fact that neutral heads might not like this signature) is hiss. I think it should be a bit more versatile. On the other hand, I don't know how it would sound with lower sensitivity.

I will do some extensive listening and more comparisons to my other iems of course.

Getting the lower sensitivity model is totally worth it if you don't have a DAC with a super low SNR. I felt no audible loss in clarity - in fact, everything felt MORE clear because the hiss wasn't masking higher-frequency sounds.

These IEMs are truly incredible. I love mine!

Nov 28, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #396 of 40,559
  First listening session

I am sticking to the  AK240SS out of which the Zeus sound great, I just have the feeling the Paw can do better. I tange.ried to drive it balanced from my AK, but not significnt change.

Nothing to say comfort wise, the spinfit tips work well with these. The build quality is very good, and it is very nice to have an upgraded cables straight with the Zeus. On the other hand, it seems normal at this price range.

I did some listening and a little bit of preliminary comparison signature wise with the SE5 Ultimate. Both have quite differente signature. The SE5 is a natural sounding neutral with smooth and detailed sound. The Zeus has more coloration for sure, the mids are slightly fuller, there is more bass quantity. The bass is not overbearing, just more than SE5 on first listen, but with impeccable control so far, and very nice depth and layering. The trebble is extended and has a nice sparkle, not the airiest I have heard but nonetheless very good without being harsh.

This is still very early stage, but the Zeus seems like a very engaging iem, emotions done right. It seem to be a bit on the warm side but with nice trebble extension. What is impressive so far is the density of the sound, if feels almost palpable, very solid, and ultra detailed.

Thanks for the honest and right-to-the-point review.

Now, I am more confident with my purchase of the CIEM Zeus.

If it hiss on my N6, I would just use it on my DX90 (no biggy).

Nov 28, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #403 of 40,559
  Does anyone know why Empire Ears stopped selling Linum cables?

EarWerkz was selling them previously.

We had some serious quality issues with them months after the Kickstarter campaign. Several were experiencing connection issues. Estron replaced them all and i'm sure the problem has been addressed but I never want to put our clients through that again so for now we are no longer carrying the BaX cable. Their internal litz cables are the business though!

Just another shot of these stunning CIEMS!

Cerberus III

Thanks, Jack and Empire!

Another follow up to the faceplate options for those that love wood! If there's a different type of wood you'd desire just contact me and we can make it happen! We'll also try to rotate different kinds of wood every so often.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back