Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Nov 27, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #376 of 40,527
  That's great to hear man, thanks

No problem. I see you own one already. I absolutely adore mine and killed any desire to upgrade. The sound of it is light years better than the AK120 or the ZX1 I owned. I was truly shocked at how obvious the difference in SQ, dynamics and detail was, all with a delightful analogue-esque sound. It was the perfect complement to my Legend R.

Nov 27, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #377 of 40,527
I'm very happy with it as well mate, I was still curious to what the limit was so I get a 901 later as many people said it matches the AK240 in SQ, but it only confirmed the P1 is indeed a fantastic dap and I need not search any further (not that the 901 isn't great in its own right).

Nov 27, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #378 of 40,527
  The Spartans are a very neutral sound signature, so they will go great with pretty much anything, but the Hermes is a little bit warmer in upper bass and lower midrange, which is absolutely fantastic for rock and metal. I would highly recommend the Hermes for those genres!

Hey, thanks for the answer! I figured this was the case, but I just wanted to confirm.

Nov 27, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #379 of 40,527
I could see some preferring the warmer and bassier Hermes and Athena for classic rock or genres mastered with less bass. I personally would prefer the Spartan and Apollo for rock though, especially as an all rounder. My reasoning is the greater upper mid presence really makes distortion guitars have better bite and attack, and this is the most important aspect of rock music for me.

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #380 of 40,527
I could see some preferring the warmer and bassier Hermes and Athena for classic rock or genres mastered with less bass. I personally would prefer the Spartan and Apollo for rock though, especially as an all rounder. My reasoning is the greater upper mid presence really makes distortion guitars have better bite and attack, and this is the most important aspect of rock music for me.

Any recommendations for EDM or Indie Electronic type music?

Nov 27, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #382 of 40,527

I don't really have any of those genres in my library.  Ultimately I'd say go with whichever signature fits your preferences better: Spartan - a more neutral and balanced signature or Hermes/Athena  - a warmer, slightly more laid back signature.

Thanks for weighing in, @shotgunshane. And for being so helpful through PM as well. You are a scholar and a gentleman.

Nov 27, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #384 of 40,527

Any recommendations for EDM or Indie Electronic type music?

If you listen primarily to EDM/Electronic tracks and not much else, the Hermes would be a really good choice because of it's warmer sound signature. I listen to a ton of electronic music and when I demo'd the Hermes, the synergy was fantastic with all my rock and electronic music. If you are more like me in that your music taste covers way more genres than just EDM and Electronic, however, then something more neutral like the Supra, Spartan, Apollo, or Zeus would be a much better bet as an all-rounder.

Nov 27, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #385 of 40,527
  If you listen primarily to EDM/Electronic tracks and not much else, the Hermes would be a really good choice because of it's warmer sound signature. I listen to a ton of electronic music and when I demo'd the Hermes, the synergy was fantastic with all my rock and electronic music. If you are more like me in that your music taste covers way more genres than just EDM and Electronic, however, then something more neutral like the Supra, Spartan, Apollo, or Zeus would be a much better bet as an all-rounder.

Hey, thanks for sharing your thoughts, @FuhrerKBradley! Looks like we are thinking along the same lines.

Nov 27, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #386 of 40,527
A close-up of the faceplate options as promised. These pics honestly don't do them justice, especially the abalone, but hopefully it gives you all a better idea. Please note that abalone faceplates are slightly transparent so they do take on some color from the shell. The carbon fiber tow hook pattern is also pretty large. Each faceplate may hold 4-6 squares max. For swirls you can choose up to two colors, preferably two that contrast, from the shell color selection. This will have to be a custom request so please PM me or mention it during checkout. I will try to post more photos of completed units soon!
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
(A bit hard to capture but it looks just like the black carbon fiber, pattern wise)​
 ​
 ​

Nov 28, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #387 of 40,527
Wow.
Looks nice.

Thanks, Jack and team!
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 28, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #388 of 40,527

I received my beautiful EE Apollo-X from EE today.  Thanks, as always, to Jack for the A+ customer service and absolutely insane turnaround time.  I've been listening with the Apollo quite a bit this evening.. and I'm incredibly impressed.  Words that come to mind first?  Smooth, neutral, effortless, highly resolving, clear, spacious, tonally accurate, finely textured, and cohesive.  If you've ever heard the Sennheiser HD650 off a really high end, well designed tube amp (that's neutral, highly resolving, and transparent.. i.e. Eddie Current amps, ECP Audio's fine transformer-coupled amps, etc.), that's what the Apollo-X reminds me of.  A truly captivating sound.  I'll have a longer review out.. but I had to chime in and say thanks to Jack and the EE team.. and for those who are waiting on the Apollo-X, your patience will be well served!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back