Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 31, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #3,736 of 40,540
  There is no limit and all and the name "Supra" is chosen for an entry-level IEM instead of the flagship?! 

The Supra is quite a fitting name for this particular IEM, as Zeus is quite the fitting name for the current Empire Ears flagship.  The price may be entry, but that's where the similarities end.  Entry doesn't befit the Supra.

Oct 31, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #3,737 of 40,540
The Supra is quite a fitting name for this particular IEM, as Zeus is quite the fitting name for the current Empire Ears flagship.  The price may be entry, but that's where the similarities end.  Entry doesn't befit the Supra.

This.

The scaling on Supra can be quite a shock if you pair it with a very good source or a well stacked combo.

The idea of pairing it with a Fiio x3 Coaxial connect to Chord Mojo then amplified with the TubeAmp TA1 sends chills down my spine.

Because that stack made even my XB50AP sounds extremely resolving and transparent!

I cant even imagine how Supra will sound with that.

Oct 31, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #3,738 of 40,540
This.

The scaling on Supra can be quite a shock if you pair it with a very good source or a well stacked combo.

The idea of pairing it with a Fiio x3 Coaxial connect to Chord Mojo then amplified with the TubeAmp TA1 sends chills down my spine.

Because that stack made even my XB50AP sounds extremely resolving and transparent!

I cant even imagine how Supra will sound with that.

Or completely forgo a stack and use a great sounding DAP such as the QP1R that in my opinion rivals even some desktop amplifiers with regards to sound quality.

Oct 31, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #3,739 of 40,540
Or completely forgo a stack and use a great sounding DAP such as the QP1R that in my opinion rivals even some desktop amplifiers with regards to sound quality.

Well I would go that route if I know where to buy it from in Malaysia. XD

But sadly my income isn't as good so i just make do with what I got.

Currently I am using a Fiio X1 + E12A + TubeAmp TA1.

Excessive stack? Maybe. But I wanna try and see how its gonna sound if I gor a third round with Empire in future.

Oct 31, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #3,740 of 40,540

Excessive stack? Maybe. But I wanna try and see how its gonna sound if I gor a third round with Empire in future.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

Good luck!

Oct 31, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #3,742 of 40,540
I've already got my ideal combo in mind for source but it will take a lot of time to get there for sure.

That is okay, time is on your side.

Oct 31, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #3,743 of 40,540

Any particular reason why the TA1 is not directly connected to the X1? From everything I have read double amping actually adds unnecessary noise and distortion.

Oct 31, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #3,744 of 40,540
Any particular reason why the TA1 is not directly connected to the X1? From everything I have read double amping actually adds unnecessary noise and distortion.

It's an experiment I haven't tried yet.

I want to see how these two will stack up with my own ears. If it does yield unnecessary noise and distortion then I will go back to the TA1.

It's still my combo at the moment.

I will say this though.

My PC is using the Fiio Q1 as a DAC and fed through the E12A amp together for my AKG K99 and so far I don't hear any distortions or noise.

Oct 31, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #3,745 of 40,540
I noticed the Cerberus and Hermes (the two I am interested in) have a low frequency limit of 40 Hz, whereas the upper end iems go to 20Hz. Do you guys that have tried these find a subbass roll off? I love bass extension and texture is a smooth sounding package/

Oct 31, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #3,746 of 40,540
so back to best pairing after few trials between cowon plenue s, fiio x7, mojo

well no doubt at all the best pairing with zues r is with the mojo, followed by cowon plenue s

fiio x7 is a bit bright with the zeus r, and hisses a lot with am3 and am5, so I use ifi iematch with fiio x7 and no hiss at all

but mojo and zeus r are a match made in heaven

as for tips after trying tons of tips, I went back to the included spinfit as they sound the best

Oct 31, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #3,747 of 40,540
Ok my post might be broken up into a few chunks as I go through the posts and start to respond, apologies if I end up double posting and try to condense into one post, as I address posts from different pages. This is what I get for staying off Head-Fi for the weekend haha.

Quote:
@Canyon Runner

I originally tried the 64 Audio U12 Adel for their 14 day trial back when it came with the "auto module" I think it was called, whichever the first module was that you couldn't adjust. I ended up sending them back because although I loved the way they sounded, but the ear fatigue was still too much for it to be enjoyable to me for any real length of time. Definitely a significant improvement over normal sealed iems, but the bass was especially fatiguing, even just after a couple of minutes. I've had to resort to open back headphones only.. I suppose I have very sensitive ears. Unfortunately, I think this happened because of all the listening I did with traditional iems. I used to listen for hours every day, and frequently at high volume because as you said, it gets "quieter" as you listen more.

Are the newer modules significantly better at reducing ear fatigue? I would like to try the Adel stuff again in the near future if there's a real improvement in that department since I last tried it. Portability/comfort is a huge plus over big open back headphones!

In your situation, I'd recommend trying the B1 module, which a number of people have already mentioned. So good on them.
While writing the impression for Supra...I just wanna ask...to those that tried the ADEL modules...

@Canyon Runner

G1 Module or B1 Module?

And no, I am not really interested in the MAM module. Not yet at least. 
wink.gif

It's really about what you're looking to gain/alter. I've only listened to the Supras with the G1s, I really really liked em tho. In terms of engineers in the IEM world, Dean from Empire is easily my favorite. As you know from the Supra listening, it's very crisp, clear and sparkly. I prefer a bit more bass than he usually goes with, so for me the added bottom end with the G1 is a perfect fit to my preferences. 

Oct 31, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #3,748 of 40,540
  I noticed the Cerberus and Hermes (the two I am interested in) have a low frequency limit of 40 Hz, whereas the upper end iems go to 20Hz. Do you guys that have tried these find a subbass roll off? I love bass extension and texture is a smooth sounding package/

A musician was just asking me about this the other day. At the time that Dean and I measured certain models we didn't know how to calibrate the hardware and software so the default settings wouldn't pick up anything below 40Hz. Specs will be updated shortly alongside the ADEL launch. It should be 20Hz for both Cerberus and Hermes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back