Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 31, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #35,371 of 40,559
Funny, I'm the opposite. I thought the treble on the Hero was fatiguing but I absolutely love both the Vakly and Valky II. What I think of as far as representation for proper basshead IEM goes in their pricerange!
It was never fatiguing during my listen. But it can definitely seem that way due to it having less bass and not as forward upper mids compared to the OG Valky. The Valky presented me with better treble sparkle. I need to listen to the Valky II sometime. But I may like the OG’s shells a bit more.

Mar 31, 2022 at 11:43 PM Post #35,372 of 40,559
It was never fatiguing during my listen. But it can definitely seem that way due to it having less bass and not as forward upper mids compared to the OG Valky. The Valky presented me with better treble sparkle. I need to listen to the Valky II sometime. But I may like the OG’s shells a bit more.

I got to A/B Valk mk1 CIEM vs Valk mk2 and basically what you told me from JP impressions is correct, kinda lost its magic, much more relaxed in its presentation. Not really fair to compare custom to universal but being so familiar with the OG I could definitely tell.

Apr 1, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #35,374 of 40,559
Here is my Valk MKII review from June of last year putting it out there because there is chatter again;

Valkyrie MKII

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #35,375 of 40,559
Apr 1, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #35,376 of 40,559
I’m still kind of back to square one. I don’t really know of any headphone and, or at least the notable ones that have an output for IEM’s.

I still think if you have a reasonable listening level it shouldn’t matter what the power is in terms of damaging. I know this isn’t the same thing, but with my Abyss 1266 TC headphones I was using Pass Labs 150W speaker amp with no issues.

Apr 1, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #35,377 of 40,559
I’m still kind of back to square one. I don’t really know of any headphone and, or at least the notable ones that have an output for IEM’s.

I still think if you have a reasonable listening level it shouldn’t matter what the power is in terms of damaging. I know this isn’t the same thing, but with my Abyss 1266 TC headphones I was using Pass Labs 150W speaker amp with no issues.

Typically, noise floor, volume range and output impedance can be problematic when using IEMs with amps not made for IEM. Doesn't mean you can't use them but you don't see people running or evaluating IEMs with full size powerful headphone amps.

Your 1266 TC is 47ohms, so you aint getting 150w (likely rated at 8ohms) from your speaker amp, much less than that and it's 88db/mw sensitivity so speaker like sensitive.

Your evo is 4.5ohms, 103db/mw sensitivity with a max power rating of a few milliwatts likely. Do the maths.

Apr 1, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #35,378 of 40,559
I understand all that. I was just making a point that my headphones were not made for an amp olike that as Abyss will tell you as well.

My plan is not to use the headphone amp. The plan was to use it for the first 50 hours for breakin so I don’t have to keep charging my DAP. it doesn’t have to sound good, just do the job. I don’t plan on listening to it at all connected to it. I’m just checking to see if I could potentially damage it even while listening at a safe level

Apr 1, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #35,380 of 40,559
I got my Evo Legend a little while ago. I connected them and gave a quick listen to set the volume before I let them play for breakin.

Wow. Did someone say bass!!
Give them some burn in… they will surprise you with their refinement across the rest of the FR too, much like the original LX

Apr 1, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #35,382 of 40,559
I noticed that you have FA-10, did you notice any difference between feeds from SMSL SU-9 vs Shiit Modi3. I am itching for an upgrade of my Modi3, just not sure whether it makes noticeable difference or not.
Sonically there is no difference (and I didn't expect any as well). I bought it for the balanced output since I have it connected to a desktop PC and it removes any ground loops coming from the usb connection. What you would get is a better feature set (Bluetooth, DSD, remote control, balanced out) and a lot more volume headroom (5v from balanced out, against 2v from the Modi3 SE output).

Apr 1, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #35,383 of 40,559
Sonically there is no difference (and I didn't expect any as well). I bought it for the balanced output since I have it connected to a desktop PC and it removes any ground loops coming from the usb connection. What you would get is a better feature set (Bluetooth, DSD, remote control, balanced out) and a lot more volume headroom (5v from balanced out, against 2v from the Modi3 SE output).
Thanks, save me another investment :)

Apr 2, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #35,385 of 40,559
Plussound copper+ verse + Legend EVO seems like a natural evolution of the Genesis cable sound with EVO.
BB982DDB-AB7B-4E82-AFD4-6221CC65EA58.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back