Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 21, 2020 at 1:54 AM Post #23,897 of 40,346

Speaking of that graph, this review is out. Just have it on in the background; sounds very positive regardless of your opinions of the guy.

I'm on my phone so I don't want to Get Into It, but the absolutely absurd arguments against the very idea of measurement in the audio world continue to deeply tickle me. "How can you judge tonal accuracy or timbre on a graph?!" What, uh, do you think these are graphs of?

If you don't like the guy or his style, I get it, but no one can deny he is a die hard music lover.

Aug 21, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #23,898 of 40,346
If you don't like the guy or his style, I get it, but no one can deny he is a die hard music lover.
He's pretty entertaining. And yeah, you can feel his love for music in his videos.
We may not have the same taste in music, and that's why I don't agree with a lot of his claims, but we're both Sony fanboys so there's that lol

Aug 21, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #23,899 of 40,346
He's pretty entertaining. And yeah, you can feel his love for music in his videos.
We may not have the same taste in music, and that's why I don't agree with a lot of his claims, but we're both Sony fanboys so there's that lol
Yeah, it seems the hype trains we're riding today are going to be toys compared to the one we'll see when Sony eventually updates its flagships...at least in this community.

Aug 21, 2020 at 2:32 AM Post #23,900 of 40,346
Just a note to anyone who has or will be receiving the Odin soon. Give the album “Ten” by Pearl Jam a go. It really showcases how well the Odin can layer well recorded rock and roll. If you don’t want to burn through a whole album, just listen to the song, “Jeremy”.
This prompts another question I forgot to ask you: what source are you currently using for your IEMs (and basing your impressions from)?

Aug 21, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #23,901 of 40,346
Yeah, it seems the hype trains we're riding today are going to be toys compared to the one we'll see when Sony eventually updates its flagships...at least in this community.
The Z1R is a pretty good IEM (might just be the best V shape out there), but I don’t feel like it’s absolutely groundbreaking to the point where it makes or made the rest of the market obsolete

Aug 21, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #23,902 of 40,346
The Z1R is a pretty good IEM (might just be the best V shape out there), but I don’t feel like it’s absolutely groundbreaking to the point where it makes or made the rest of the market obsolete
For sure. I'm yet to find a product that makes the rest of the market obsolete, at least in this hobby where everyone has a personal bar set at different heights.

Aug 21, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #23,903 of 40,346
v-shape , the worst phrase in my audiophile universe :xf_cool:

Mids = Music.

Aug 21, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #23,905 of 40,346
What, uh, do you think these are graphs of?

Yes, the graph shows amplitude dependence to the frequency.
No, it does not represent Odin's "sound signature" anyhow even slightly.

absolutely absurd arguments against the very idea of measurement

Yeah, I know...this mehscience! This crap always spoils everything and I just wanted to do some measurements! We need more measurements. Measurements for everyone, and let no-one leave resentful. No time to think, just do some measurements already!11

Aug 21, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #23,906 of 40,346
v-shape , the worst phrase in my audiophile universe :xf_cool:

Mids = Music.
Just out of curiosity, have you tried something with a warmer midrange like the Phantom, VE8, Elysium etc?

The Odin has a sort of reference and somewhat bright midrange from what I'm hearing - I'd recommend it in a lot of instances, but for someone who's after a really pleasant, warm and textured midrange it wouldn't really be something I'd go with (assuming that's the kind of midrange you'd like of course)

That being said, I'll be able to test it on the Hugo 2 tonight as that's the source that's been recommended by Empire Ears, which might make it sound quite different, and I'll also be able to test out the Stormbreaker on Monday as I have an adapter on the way. I'll make sure to post some impressions on how it changes in that full stock/intended configuration.

Aug 21, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #23,907 of 40,346
@mvvRAZ well the key word is balance , i don't like a basshead iem same way i don't like a v-shaped/midless iem the same way i don't like a 'just mids' iem

elysium seems very nice , the other 2 you mentioned did not awakened my curiosity, as i feel that they will have too much mids (and not enough airy highs) to satisfy my sonic preferences

Odin seems balanced , hence my (theoretical due to complete lack of budget) interest :xf_cool:

Aug 21, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #23,908 of 40,346
@mvvRAZ well the key word is balance , i don't like a basshead iem same way i don't like a v-shaped/midless iem the same way i don't like a 'just mids' iem

elysium seems very nice , the other 2 you mentioned did not awakened my curiosity, as i feel that they will have too much mids (and not enough airy highs) to satisfy my sonic preferences

Odin seems balanced , hence my (theoretical due to complete lack of budget) interest :xf_cool:
Ah okay I understand - you’re after a more neutral signature I’d say with more midrange quantity than focus. The Odin would be a 10/10 for you then, easily :)

Aug 21, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #23,910 of 40,346
Are his measurements typically accurate or reliable?
Accurate is questionable. But personally if I need a graph being reliable means that I would have to know about it's properties so that I can validate with other sample that I found online.
A lot of people into measurements should knows that HBB graph is that it is a IEC-711 clone. People who knows how IEM plays with graph will know a bit more about the resonance peak in these setup (Which in his measurement, often neglect).
Another problem I found with his graph is that the bass response. Which sadly, according to my experience, always have a nasty 3 - 5dB roll off due to the Apple Dongle being used to drive (Note that not every Apple Dongle is like this, he just got one that was bad and decide to roll with it till the end of day - Why I know? I got one and had to calibrate it myself).
This was the reason why I find myself hard to interpret his graph correctly (Read: Correctly to my reference) since a lot of the variables not lining up well with other measurement online and my measurements included.
I would advice one using HBB graph only use his to get the general idea of how an IEM would 60 - 70% look on paper and compare within his rig ONLY, accuracy is a debatable thing, but without it being "correct" then an important factor if you want to read graph is how you can interpret it. If you can't, feel free to throw this into the bin, the data is useless if one cannot use it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back