Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
post-12747391
Post #2,161 of 21,811

Eric Koh

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 3, 2015
Messages
104
Reaction score
24
Joined
Mar 3, 2015
Posts
104
Likes
24
  I know absolutely nothing about watches, hence the length of time it took me to finally get this project going, but over the weekend I had a chance to finally take one apart and mess around. What do you guys think? 
 
 
Looks nice, but it would be nice to get a watch face of a skeleton watch in e.g. https://www.prestigetime.com/images/watches/mp7048-ss001-000_main.jpg?ver=1 , but it would be tough to fit.

Alternatively, it would be nice to do something similar to Zenith El Primero (Open), the top left open area, movement plus a few colourful jewels. http://www.zenith-watches.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image_boitier/488x488/170ec19af00183b5e0368529fc2daa2f/03_2080_4021_21_C496_1.jpg
 
     Share This Post       
post-12748202
Post #2,162 of 21,811

Malevolent

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 18, 2011
Messages
3,773
Reaction score
972
Location
Singapore / Shibaura
Joined
Dec 18, 2011
Location
Singapore / Shibaura
Posts
3,773
Likes
972
Any zeus original owners here have the mojo and listen to music such as kings of leon, chilli peppers, ed sheeran etc.... hows the sound?
 
I have the Zeus, and I drive it from a Mojo, but I don't listen to the bands you have mentioned. However, my favorite (non-EDM) music includes stuff from Bryan Adams, Scorpions, REM & Oasis, and I must say, vocals have never sounded so sweet before. That lush midrange is combined with a deep, huge soundstage and some truly stellar imaging to afford the best rock experience I've ever heard on an IEM.
 
     Share This Post       
post-12748288
Post #2,163 of 21,811

flinkenick

Reviewer for The Headphone List
Joined
Nov 12, 2014
Messages
3,397
Reaction score
7,323
Location
Amsterdam
Joined
Nov 12, 2014
Location
Amsterdam
Posts
3,397
Likes
7,323
Website
theheadphonelist.com
   
I have the Zeus, and I drive it from a Mojo, but I don't listen to the bands you have mentioned. However, my favorite (non-EDM) music includes stuff from Bryan Adams, Scorpions, REM & Oasis, and I must say, vocals have never sounded so sweet before. That lush midrange is combined with a deep, huge soundstage and some truly stellar imaging to afford the best rock experience I've ever heard on an IEM.
I will dabble in music like this and Kings of Leon, and Zeus-XIV is my favorite ciem within my collection for this. 
 
     Share This Post       
post-12748385
Post #2,164 of 21,811

esm87

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 16, 2016
Messages
1,522
Reaction score
182
Joined
Feb 16, 2016
Posts
1,522
Likes
182
I have the Zeus, and I drive it from a Mojo, but I don't listen to the bands you have mentioned. However, my favorite (non-EDM) music includes stuff from Bryan Adams, Scorpions, REM & Oasis, and I must say, vocals have never sounded so sweet before. That lush midrange is combined with a deep, huge soundstage and some truly stellar imaging to afford the best rock experience I've ever heard on an IEM.
I also listen to oasis oftenbl aswell as bon jovi, guns and roses etc. Im glad you find it so great sounding as I have decided to invest in a zeus to go with my mojo. I have been advised to go custom. Do you feel there is any major sound difference in custom to universal?
 
     Share This Post       
post-12748689
Post #2,165 of 21,811

Malevolent

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 18, 2011
Messages
3,773
Reaction score
972
Location
Singapore / Shibaura
Joined
Dec 18, 2011
Location
Singapore / Shibaura
Posts
3,773
Likes
972
  I will dabble in music like this and Kings of Leon, and Zeus-XIV is my favorite ciem within my collection for this. 
 
Yep. The Zeus is an absolute beast with rock music. It's hard to still become emotionally overwhelmed with music that you love, and have heard over a thousand times in your life, but the Zeus does manage to give me the goosebumps every now and then. Quite an achievement, I must say. 

 
 
I also listen to oasis oftenbl aswell as bon jovi, guns and roses etc. Im glad you find it so great sounding as I have decided to invest in a zeus to go with my mojo. I have been advised to go custom. Do you feel there is any major sound difference in custom to universal?
 
Guns N' Roses and Bon Jovi sound absolutely fantastic with the Zeus from a Mojo. The latter is a fantastic DAC, and does wonders with IEMs. To me, they (Zeus and Mojo) are a perfect match.
 
Anyway, I can't really say how much better the custom is over a universal, as my last audition with the universal was several months ago. I was floored by what I heard then, which resulted in one of the quickest IEM purchases that I have made in my life! Still, I'd suggest going the custom route, as the comfort factor is a major bonus. You could wear a well fitting CIEM for hours, and you'd barely remember that they were there all the time.
 
     Share This Post       
  • Like
Reactions: Jack Vang
post-12748721
Post #2,166 of 21,811

esm87

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 16, 2016
Messages
1,522
Reaction score
182
Joined
Feb 16, 2016
Posts
1,522
Likes
182
Yep. The Zeus is an absolute beast with rock music. It's hard to still become emotionally overwhelmed with music that you love, and have heard over a thousand times in your life, but the Zeus does manage to give me the goosebumps every now and then. Quite an achievement, I must say. :smile:



Guns N' Roses and Bon Jovi sound absolutely fantastic with the Zeus from a Mojo. The latter is a fantastic DAC, and does wonders with IEMs. To me, they (Zeus and Mojo) are a perfect match.

Anyway, I can't really say how much better the custom is over a universal, as my last audition with the universal was several months ago. I was floored by what I heard then, which resulted in one of the quickest IEM purchases that I have made in my life! Still, I'd suggest going the custom route, as the comfort factor is a major bonus. You could wear a well fitting CIEM for hours, and you'd barely remember that they were there all the time.
thanks I'll have to go that route really at that price point. Hey, how does rap or hip hop sound through the zeus? Rock/acoustics and rap/hip hop is 90% of my listening, the other 10% being general chart music.
 
     Share This Post       
post-12749712
Post #2,167 of 21,811

ezekiel77

Reviewer at Headphonesty
Joined
Jun 16, 2015
Messages
4,276
Reaction score
3,895
Location
Malaysiurrr
Joined
Jun 16, 2015
Location
Malaysiurrr
Posts
4,276
Likes
3,895
Website
headphonesty.com
I also listen to oasis oftenbl aswell as bon jovi, guns and roses etc. Im glad you find it so great sounding as I have decided to invest in a zeus to go with my mojo. I have been advised to go custom. Do you feel there is any major sound difference in custom to universal?
 
Choose customs if you want the best fit; choose universals if you'd like to share this amazing sound with your mates, and it doesn't hurt that you can tip-roll, and God forbid, sell them off later.
 
Massive Oasis fan here, I've not heard an IEM that makes "Some Might Say" sound nice. Most likely a poorly-mastered record.
 
     Share This Post       
post-12750041
Post #2,168 of 21,811

esm87

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 16, 2016
Messages
1,522
Reaction score
182
Joined
Feb 16, 2016
Posts
1,522
Likes
182
Choose customs if you want the best fit; choose universals if you'd like to share this amazing sound with your mates, and it doesn't hurt that you can tip-roll, and God forbid, sell them off later.

Massive Oasis fan here, I've not heard an IEM that makes "Some Might Say" sound nice. Most likely a poorly-mastered record.
so sound doesnt really change? Hmmm ok cool
 
     Share This Post       
post-12750098
Post #2,169 of 21,811

ezekiel77

Reviewer at Headphonesty
Joined
Jun 16, 2015
Messages
4,276
Reaction score
3,895
Location
Malaysiurrr
Joined
Jun 16, 2015
Location
Malaysiurrr
Posts
4,276
Likes
3,895
Website
headphonesty.com
so sound doesnt really change? Hmmm ok cool
 
If the seal and insertion depth are optimum, universals should sound 95% similar to customs. I can't remember who said that unfortunately... JH?
 
     Share This Post       
post-12750650
Post #2,170 of 21,811

Malevolent

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 18, 2011
Messages
3,773
Reaction score
972
Location
Singapore / Shibaura
Joined
Dec 18, 2011
Location
Singapore / Shibaura
Posts
3,773
Likes
972
thanks I'll have to go that route really at that price point. Hey, how does rap or hip hop sound through the zeus? Rock/acoustics and rap/hip hop is 90% of my listening, the other 10% being general chart music.
 
Sorry mate, can't help you there. I don't listen to rap/hip-hop.
 
Still, I'd urge you to try going for a custom Zeus if you are on the fence. Besides the obvious benefit of added comfort, you get to customise the design of your IEMs. Coupled with the custom fit, you get something that is truly unique and personal.
 
     Share This Post       
post-12751168
Post #2,171 of 21,811
Joined
Sep 29, 2015
Messages
507
Reaction score
1,503
Location
ATL
Joined
Sep 29, 2015
Location
ATL
Posts
507
Likes
1,503
Website
www.empireears.com
   
Looks nice, but it would be nice to get a watch face of a skeleton watch in e.g. https://www.prestigetime.com/images/watches/mp7048-ss001-000_main.jpg?ver=1 , but it would be tough to fit.

Alternatively, it would be nice to do something similar to Zenith El Primero (Open), the top left open area, movement plus a few colourful jewels. http://www.zenith-watches.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image_boitier/488x488/170ec19af00183b5e0368529fc2daa2f/03_2080_4021_21_C496_1.jpg
 
Thanks for the suggestion! Hmmmm maybe i'll offer different tiers based on the complexity of the design and the brand/materials used. Will keep trying! Anything else in particular you guys would like to see?
 
Empire Ears Stay updated on Empire Ears at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.
 
https://www.facebook.com/EmpireEars https://twitter.com/EmpireEars https://www.instagram.com/empireears/ http://www.empireears.com/
     Share This Post       
post-12751266
Post #2,172 of 21,811

Spamateur

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 25, 2014
Messages
860
Reaction score
360
Location
ATL
Joined
Apr 25, 2014
Location
ATL
Posts
860
Likes
360
thanks I'll have to go that route really at that price point. Hey, how does rap or hip hop sound through the zeus? Rock/acoustics and rap/hip hop is 90% of my listening, the other 10% being general chart music.
I listen to a fair amount of hip hop, and it sounds pretty solid through the Zeus-R, but slightly better through the original Zeus. The one thing that always backfires is a lot of hip-hop is really poorly mastered, and you can tell with both the Zeus-R and the OG due to both being highly revealing IEMs. However, as with all music, the well-mastered albums sound great. Logic's "The Incredible True Story" is stellar, as are the last two Freddie Gibbs albums and pretty much anything by Juicy J or Wiz Khalifa. On the opposite end of that, Big K.R.I.T.'s tracks tend to sound like hot garbage more often than not, but K.R.I.T. always sounds better in a non-critical listening environment, such as being bumped from a car stereo with 12" subs loud enough to wake the neighbors. 
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-12751304
Post #2,173 of 21,811

esm87

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 16, 2016
Messages
1,522
Reaction score
182
Joined
Feb 16, 2016
Posts
1,522
Likes
182
I listen to a fair amount of hip hop, and it sounds pretty solid through the Zeus-R, but slightly better through the original Zeus. The one thing that always backfires is a lot of hip-hop is really poorly mastered, and you can tell with both the Zeus-R and the OG due to both being highly revealing IEMs. However, as with all music, the well-mastered albums sound great. Logic's "The Incredible True Story" is stellar, as are the last two Freddie Gibbs albums and pretty much anything by Juicy J or Wiz Khalifa. On the opposite end of that, Big K.R.I.T.'s tracks tend to sound like hot garbage more often than not, but K.R.I.T. always sounds better in a non-critical listening environment, such as being bumped from a car stereo with 12" subs loud enough to wake the neighbors. :evil:  
lol. I will check that album out. Listen to much tupac through OG zeus? Its OG zeus Im wanting
 
     Share This Post       
post-12751534
Post #2,174 of 21,811

Spamateur

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 25, 2014
Messages
860
Reaction score
360
Location
ATL
Joined
Apr 25, 2014
Location
ATL
Posts
860
Likes
360
lol. I will check that album out. Listen to much tupac through OG zeus? Its OG zeus Im wanting
Strangely, I don't have any Tupac FLACs. I'll have to see if I can dig some of my old CDs out of storage to rip them properly.
 
     Share This Post       
post-12751559
Post #2,175 of 21,811

ejong7

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 24, 2011
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
614
Location
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined
Nov 24, 2011
Location
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts
1,052
Likes
614
  I will dabble in music like this and Kings of Leon, and Zeus-XIV is my favorite ciem within my collection for this. 
Hey Nick just wondering have you heard of the R edition? I can't recall whether you did or not.
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 9, Guests: 8)

Top