Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Dec 16, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #20,416 of 40,525
To try to answer that question, can you describe what particular things you most liked about the Wraith, that you would hope to find in a cheaper alternative?
I have a few ideas, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on that first :)
[Edit]: Oh, and also what kind of price range you'd ideally be looking at?

Im not too good at explaining what I want but I can try...I like the wraith because it has excellent resolution, sounds natural and very detailed without the sibilance. Bass and subbass is linear and its fast, punchy with good texture and it never gets in the way (I found the legend x is good but the bass is too much for me). I currently have the T800 and it sounds pretty good to me but if I'm going to nitpick, I'd say the bass is sometimes slow (or sounding over worked?) and mids are a bit thin at times. I still love the T800 and wouldn't mind something to complement it. not sure if that helps and I'm willing to spend no more than $750.

I listened to a lot of the top tiers earphones while I was in japan and the two that impressed me the most were the wraith and jvc/victor fw10000 (polar opposite sound sig but it works for me)

I've tried in no particular order.. valks, legend x, z1r (nice but physicslly too big), andromeda, 65 audio a18 and a12t and fitear est. All out of my price range but it was really fun listening to them to get a taste of what I'd be getting if I paid top dollars.

Edit: sorry for going off topic.. got carried away

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #20,417 of 40,525
How does the Drop Zeus sound compared to the EE almost equivalent Zeus? Also, who warrants it? EE or Drop?

Dec 16, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #20,418 of 40,525
How does the Drop Zeus sound compared to the EE almost equivalent Zeus? Also, who warrants it? EE or Drop?

As I know Drop Zeus is made of material like plastic not acrílic custom made like EE. Drop will warranty not EE I guess. Zeus has 3 kinds as advertised by EE before and sounds more brighter than other recent EE.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #20,419 of 40,525
The current Drop Zeus XlV is the X version of the Zeus XR and is the original tuning (the R is less mid-forward and a little more restrained). I have both and I find that the Drop version is just as bright as the original (though I have many more hours on my XR). Jack told me they are identical. I think they are very very close. The shell material is just fine. I didn't like the cable as it did not have good synergy with my AK. Too thin and bright. Perfect with my Ares ll 8-wire.

Dec 16, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #20,420 of 40,525
I think you want to stick with the CIEM makers who work directly with professional artists. They tend to all have balanced lows, forward vocals, and smooth treble. I would recommend looking into JH Audio Performance universal models like the JH13 on the lower end or Roxanne on the higher end. 64 Audio is another solid choice like the Trio and U12t.

I haven't tried any other models from EE, but the Massdrop Zeus is still available at $750 and is considered the predecessor to Wraith.

Thanks. I'll try to read more reviews on jh and zeus

Dec 16, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #20,422 of 40,525

Warranty is handled by Drop.

The following is Jack's response in the Drop discussion to some early confusion regarding the EE Zeus & MD/Drop Zeus"

"What's going on everyone?! My name is Jack Vang and I'm the Founder of EarWerkz and VP of Sales for Empire Ears. I can't tell you how ecstatic I am for this project and how much it means to me. Christian (@CEE_TEE) has relentlessly pursued this opportunity and I'm glad he persevered because we're FINALLY here! With the help of Massdrop, Knowles, and Final Audio we're proud to present to you all the flagship IEM that put us on the map, the Empire Ears Zeus XIV.
Dean and I have been relentlessly working on this project to ensure that each and every one of you will receive the same Zeus-XIV that the audiophile and HeadFi community has come to love. In order to achieve this we needed to make sure we had the following key components:
Empire Ears spec’d proprietary Knowles drivers
XIV crossover networks
7-strand Estron Litz internal wiring
Premium silver-plated copper (SPC) cable
These are the exact same components that we’ve been using since day one with the exception of the cable. As some of you may know we’ve gone through quite a journey with Zeus-bundled cable pairings. First it was the BTG Starlight (SPC), Whiplash (SPC), and then the Effect Audio Ares II (Copper Litz). We’ve always felt strongly about a silver-plated copper (SPC) cable to enhance the Zeus’ sound signature which is why we’ve partnered with Null Audio to help manufacture a cable that would compliment it.
Ergonomics and durability are also key considerations. The Zeus XIV does feature 14 full-size drivers and a 7-way crossover network on each side, and the drivers must be placed in a very specific place in order to achieve the original FR curve. The comfort and fit should be optimum as we’ve made the shell as small as possible and partnered with Final Audio of Japan to bring to you a complete set of their Type E tips. I encourage you to look into them as they’re some of the best premium silicone tips we’ve ever used and feel quite luxurious, though it may not be very evident in the pictures.
In regards to the shell, it is no longer hand-poured acrylic. ABS is more durable than acrylic, reduces return rates, and the faceplates/shells can be made more efficiently to help reach the price point. Driver/crossover assembly, final assembly and testing, lacquer plus hand-polishing is all completed in our North Atlanta facility ensuring that every Zeus is built to the same standards as every other Empire IEM. Holding these in our hand, side-by-side with the hand-pour…we know you will be happy with the looks and feel of what we are making for you."

"Back then we had a third party company measure our IEMs and we now measure them ourselves. Christian asked me the same thing and I opted to publish our numbers instead. They're the exact same internals and tuning. Sorry for the confusion!"

Dec 16, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #20,423 of 40,525
I sold my Angie when I got my Zeus. Not in the same ballpark. And that was $1K for the Angie vs. $2400 for the Zeus. For $750, it's a no brainer. UNLESS you want a whole lot of bass, in which case the Angie may be the better bet, as you can tune the bass up and down. But detail, transparency, clarity is sooo much better with the Zeus.

Dec 17, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #20,424 of 40,525
My Phantom has arrived! Not the best photo from my iPhone due to poor lighting, but you will get the idea.

F303DB33-8E61-4CD2-A4A9-153B1FB79978.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #20,426 of 40,525
Did you get brushed golf and silver faceplates? I didn’t have that option

It is brushed gold and brushed aluminum on translucent storm shells. I saw the design on Instagram or Facebook. When deciding on a design, I mentioned to Austin that I liked the gold and silver. He told me it is an option, but for some reason it is not online. As a result, I ordered it through him instead of online.

Dec 17, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #20,428 of 40,525
Dec 17, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #20,430 of 40,525
That picture with the Onyx Black is the picture I saw that made me inquire about it.
Glad you liked it. It is freaking beautiful.
20191218_134051~2.jpg
Can you post another pic showing the translucent shell? Curious of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back