Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Nov 23, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #20,251 of 40,485
Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #20,252 of 40,485
I'm just gonna leave THIS here, and slowly walk away :D

Thanks, your descriptions match very well what I heard at CanJam; it's definitely a unique tuning and as long as one doesn't approach the Wraith thinking that it's going to be a Zeus successor, but rather appreciates it on its own merits, then I think its sound signature is going to be a perfect fit for some!
And for the rest, there's always EQ eh? :p

Nov 23, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #20,254 of 40,485

I really need to try this... after you comparing it's bass to the LX. Haven't seen if you tried the Valkyrie.

Edit: would you compare the Wraith to Khan?

Nov 23, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #20,255 of 40,485
I really need to try this... after you comparing it's bass to the LX. Haven't seen if you tried the Valkyrie.

Edit: would you compare the Wraith to Khan?

Sorry, not familiar with the sound of Khan and Valkyrie. And I didn't compare Wraith bass to LX in my review.

Nov 23, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #20,256 of 40,485
Nicely detailed review of the Wraith. Speaking personally, any time I hear "smooth treble" it means "not for me." But the Wraith sounds to be an interesting alternative to the Legend and likely a pretty good step up from the Phantom. Thanks, Twister.

Nov 25, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #20,257 of 40,485

Nice review! A couple things I would add is that I found Wraith to be the most telling IEM I've had in terms of cable rolling and EQ. I've settled on PW 1950 cable and a similar EQ settings to what you tried, but less of it. I also ended up with JVC Spiral tips which I get more top end air and sparkle. But overall, I agree with what you describe as "less crunch" in the upper mids and treble. However, I don't feel the Wraith loses anything in details, but rather the details are more weighted and liquid.

Nicely detailed review of the Wraith. Speaking personally, any time I hear "smooth treble" it means "not for me." But the Wraith sounds to be an interesting alternative to the Legend and likely a pretty good step up from the Phantom. Thanks, Twister.

I was in a similar mindset, but with Wraith I am finding the upper frequencies more natural and realistic, making my overall listening experience better. I was initially considering returning the Wraith within return window, but after 2 weeks of brain burn in, the coherency, vocals, and natural timbre won me over.

Nov 25, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #20,258 of 40,485
Not yet, but there is still several days until Black Friday.

Not the way the uk sellers are carrying on! Funniest thing I heard over the weekend was "don't like Black Friday now it lasts all week. It's become too americanised". Right.....

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #20,259 of 40,485
Nice review! A couple things I would add is that I found Wraith to be the most telling IEM I've had in terms of cable rolling and EQ.

This mf is 4 ohms at 117dB/mW... this isn't surprising at all. It's got to be very source dependent as well. Anybody using a Wraith should maybe make the (comparatively infinitesimal) investment in the E1DA, with its .3 ohm (!) impedance (in addition to incredible power). It'd be worth checking first if you can even set the volume low enough to use the Wraith with it, though, even in IEM mode... but if so...

Nov 25, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #20,260 of 40,485
This mf is 4 ohms at 117dB/mW... this isn't surprising at all. It's got to be very source dependent as well. Anybody using a Wraith should maybe make the (comparatively infinitesimal) investment in the E1DA, with its .3 ohm (!) impedance (in addition to incredible power). It'd be worth checking first if you can even set the volume low enough to use the Wraith with it, though, even in IEM mode... but if so...

Definitely sensitive, but according to EE support, the 8-1 input/output impedance ratio doesn't apply to Wraith. The average portable amp is 1-2 ohm output so I can't imagine EE designing an IEM that doesn't work in that range. I checked with EE prior to purchase just to make sure. However, as @twister6 reported, current drive seems to effect the sound. I can definitely believe that because a 4 ohm load will bring any amp to its' knees. Not talking volume of course, but distortions and colorations.

Nov 25, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #20,261 of 40,485
Hello everyone, some of you have been begging for news about Black Friday...

Well, I'm super excited to finally announce the deals that we will be running this year for Black Friday and Cyber Monday!
In addition to that, I have another cool announcement as well. Read up! :beyersmile:

4CG5ScF.jpg

Starting at 11:59 Thursday night, you can take advantage these incredible savings on all of our models.
This is the first time we are running a discount on our Wraith and Valkyrie models!
The sale will be ending at 11:59 on Monday evening!

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me here or at austin@empireears.com. We'd love to make "something special" happen on your next set of customs.

In addition to the incredible Black Friday and Cyber Monday sale, we wanted to something a little different..

Thanksgiving is just a few days away, and this year we want to express a little gratitude towards the Head-Fi community. As some of our earliest and most stalwart supporters, we wanted to offer some Limited Edition models before they hit the broad market. From now through December 25, these models will be available exclusively to Head-Fi users, and in very limited quantities. Furthermore, we will be offering these Limited Edition models at a higher discount than we have ever offered before, at 30% off of MSRP.

There are two universal models that we will be offering, each in unique finishes.

The first is one of the Head-Fi favorites, the Phantom. The Limited Edition Phantom will feature an Opaque Titanium Face Plate, on a Translucent Storm Shell, with Silver Logos.

ipWMqB8.jpg

5sYMc9L.jpg

Next is one of our most popular models from the X-Series, the Nemesis.
This model will be available with a Bocote Wood Face Plate on Onyx Shells, with Gold Logos.

zlroF7G.jpg

qhyM4mq.jpg

Both of these are only available in Limited Quantity. We wanted to offer you all first dibs, so if you are interested you will want to reach out to myself directly either here, or again, at Austin@empireears.com.

Thank you guys so much for you continued support and have a great Thanksgiving!

h3X1Vnv.jpg

Nov 25, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #20,262 of 40,485
Excellent! Thanks Austin.

I do have a question...

I'm a happy owner of a custom pair of Legend X, the pic is in my avatar actually. I've been using it for quite awhile and the low end still seems kind of loose and boomy to me (I'm comparing the bass performance against another pair of universal Legend X I owned before I decided to go custom. The universal version to my ears had gorgeous/better mids and excellent tight fast bass. I regret it deeply that I exchanged them for my custom ones)

Anyways, when I saw that you were going to have the Limited Editions at 30% off, I right away was thinking about the LE Legend X

A lot of Legend X owners would have probably jump on those right away, the reason is because of the allegedly new tuning that these have (had). More controlled bass I think (at least that's what I understood from the little reviews I read). This was only for the Japanese market but I'm still thinking about these.

Also the smoky design with the gold face plate was gorgeous!

Here is a pic just to refresh everyone's memory :ksc75smile:

LX LE Japan.jpg

Not sure if this will happen this year, but please consider offering these beauties to the US market (and if it's 30% off even better :L3000:). Otherwise If we try to get them thru Japan, it will cost a fortune for an item that's manufacture in the US. Thanks!

Nov 26, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #20,263 of 40,485

Not sure if this will happen this year, but please consider offering these beauties to the US market (and if it's 30% off even better :L3000:). Otherwise If we try to get them thru Japan, it will cost a fortune for an item that's manufacture in the US. Thanks!

@ajyagle hope you will see the above request; you already know my thoughts on these beauties :D

Amen! I couldn't agree more.
Ever since I first saw these, the appearance made me fall in lust, and then the descriptions of the sound signature alterations made me also fall in love :p
Again, the whole ordering blind from Japan (and knowing only a few words and phrases of Japanese) meant that I left it.
If you can offer these direct from EE, I'd be very likely to buy (and I'm in the UK lol) :)

Nov 26, 2019 at 6:57 AM Post #20,264 of 40,485

Users who are viewing this thread

Back