1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)

First

Back
116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125
127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136
Next

Last
  1. boblauer
    Hey I resemble that remark, now if I only could find my pants!

2. shotgunshane Contributor

Shigzeo is the hiss King. I think he would probably tell you 2 things: his experience is that hiss in Mojo seems to be unit dependent. He had a couple of different units and one hissed louder than the other if I remember correctly. And I believe he'd tell you the Pure is quieter than either Mojo.

Then the guy with the voices in his head will tell you adding an amp, including the Pure, after the Mojo takes away from its midrange magic and fantastic center image.

3. Mimouille
    Hiss on my Mojo is tolerable, I just wish to hear the Zeus-r with a completely black background...I don't think my Mojo is too hissy, doesn't make a sound with the EM9. Anyways thanks for that.

4. Malevolent

Thankfully, I'm not sensitive to hiss; once the music plays, I'm drown out in the music. With that said, the DP-X1 is relatively low on hiss with my Zeus (and my other IEMs).

5. Jack Vang

Canlanta 2016

"The Zeus-R has the best dynamics i've ever heard out of an in-ear monitor" - John Morrison, President at Audio-Video Club of Atlanta
     ​
    IMG_7887.jpg
    IMG_7880.jpg
    IMG_7896.jpg
    IMG_7901.jpg
    MZON3520.jpg

We want to thank the Audio-Video Club of Atlanta for having us at Canlanta 2016! Turnout was great and we can't wait to do it again next year!

Empire Ears Stay updated on Empire Ears at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/EmpireEars https://twitter.com/EmpireEars https://www.instagram.com/empireears/ http://www.empireears.com/
    flinkenick and xtr4 like this.
  6. Jalo
    Do not see that cable on their website. Did they stop selling them?

7. MikePortnoy
    I got Zeus-R last night. I did a very short listen to it. It seems to have less forward midrange than the original version. It still keeps spaciousness. As far as I remember, R version has a little more space around instruments compared to original tuning. Imaging and resolution is still very good. More to come..

8. Malevolent

I'm a huge fan of the midrange on the Zeus, so I'm hoping that while it seems less forward in comparison with the original version, the Zeus R still retains that lush and sweet midrange that I've fallen so much in love with. I've got to make some time to try them out, soon. Anyway, enjoy your pair, bro. Looking forward to your detailed impressions.

9. Spamateur
    From my experience it's only slightly drier, but still very lush and magical. Definitely the centerpiece of the sound signature, but it's more balanced and much more "reference" and technically capable.

Malevolent likes this.
  10. Spamateur

The balanced out of the S definitely has a lower noise floor than the single-ended output. I do have to say that balanced also has more depth, distinct positioning and a more enveloping sound with better dynamics. It's about as silent as I've heard any of the Earwerkz/Empire IEMs have with any output. I do have the say that the Plenue D was dead silent to my ears, but the S is has better depth and positional cues than it's less expensive little brother and has marginally more hiss... meaning it's darn near impossible to hear unless you're in a completely silent room. Your ears might be more sensitive, however.

Balanced cables are a hassle, especially if you don't have any just lying around, so I can understand the frustration there. I do have to say that I futzed around with a lot of equipment recently, and the Zeus-R, Effect Audio Eros balanced from the Plenue S is the best portable setup I've personally heard. Couldn't be happier with it.

11. Mimouille
    Apparently, but you may ask.

12. Mimouille
    Thanks a lot. If invest in a player for the Zeus R I would need to be sure to background is silent to me. Will try to demo it!

13. mejoshua
    I had the pleasure of auditioning the Zeus R yesterday. Quick impressions: astounding stage height and depth, which produces that 3D surround feel. I would like to say that for me personally, the Zeus R comes closest to an open headphone feel for an iem. Its got excellent extension at both ends, razor sharp detail, clarity and imaging. Swapping to the U12 from 64 audio right after felt like that stage height collapsed significantly and there was a slight veil over the music (although stage width increased). I did miss the slight thickness of the mids that my Omegas give but I would say it is transparent and reference sounding yet musical enough to immerse you in the listening experience. The space and air that I hear is outstanding. Very very impressed.

It was driven by my DP-X1 balanced, and I didn't detect any hiss at all. 

tl;dr
    Incredible sense of space, outstanding stage height and depth, remarkable clarity, detail with precise imaging, reference sounding yet engaging enough to immerse you in the music. Reminds me of the UERM/UERR in tonality but even better technically. 

Cagin and Jack Vang like this.
  14. Malevolent

The original Zeus was already better to my ears than the U/A12. I won't be surprised if the Zeus R takes it one (or two?) step(s) further. The sheer soundstage height and depth is impressive.

Btw, did you try them SE from the DP-X1? If so, any changes to your impressions? I have yet to get any balanced cables, so I'm just running them SE from my DP-X1 or Mojo. Thanks.

15. davidcotton
    Today's weapon of choice at work was my supra II's and an ipod video 5th gen rockboxed.  Enjoyable sounds (even if I'm not convinced I'm putting them in right, they still seem to stick out quite a bit compared to some photo's I've seen).  Music was pretty much progressive and melodic rock.  Shotgunshane and Jack might want to check out the new album by english rocker's Magnum.  Sacred Blood "Divine" Lies.

shotgunshane likes this.
First

Back
116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125
127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136
Next

Last