Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jul 24, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #18,676 of 40,559
The E-earphone price looks right to me. I pay about the same in $USD to my dealer, no flight needed.

I guess markups in SK are just as bad as HK, I saw the Phantom for that much when I was there last summer. Sure they had stores, but I could literally order from manufacture, get hit by customs and still pay less. Insanity....

It’s also frustrating because it’s always a guessing game. Japanese headphones/IEMs generally seem reasonably priced (like the Z1R), I think the Noble Khan came in with a minimal markup (and they have free Dragonfly Reds with them because of the noise issue that Noble largely ignored), and just last week, the Aether R came in at roughly the manufacturer + shipping + customs price. Then you see the Legend X (3.6M KRW) or the LCD-4 (6M KRW) and you’re going “lol what”.

I guess people here have the misconception that bigger price tag = better sound, so that plays into pricing. There’s a pretty common (and insane) notion that the sound quality is a function of a local distributor’s arbitrary pricing (and that sound quality has clearly delineated tiers at the 500K, 1M, 2M, 3M, etc. price points).

Jul 24, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #18,677 of 40,559
It’s also frustrating because it’s always a guessing game. Japanese headphones/IEMs generally seem reasonably priced (like the Z1R), I think the Noble Khan came in with a minimal markup (and they have free Dragonfly Reds with them because of the noise issue that Noble largely ignored), and just last week, the Aether R came in at roughly the manufacturer + shipping + customs price. Then you see the Legend X (3.6M KRW) or the LCD-4 (6M KRW) and you’re going “lol what”.

I guess people here have the misconception that bigger price tag = better sound, so that plays into pricing. There’s a pretty common (and insane) notion that the sound quality is a function of a local distributor’s arbitrary pricing (and that sound quality has clearly delineated tiers at the 500K, 1M, 2M, 3M, etc. price points).
The local distributor's pricing is indication of SQ?! That's worthy of throwing someone in an asylum. Though I did experience that first hand, I got to try out the Trio and Forte in HK, and was like doesnt sound that good for YOUR price, people got so mad.

Jul 24, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #18,678 of 40,559
The local distributor's pricing is indication of SQ?! That's worthy of throwing someone in an asylum. Though I did experience that first hand, I got to try out the Trio and Forte in HK, and was like doesnt sound that good for YOUR price, people got so mad.

Yeah, it’s crazy. I don’t even think manufacturer pricing is that indicative of SQ in general (and even less so when comparing between different brands), but I’ve had more than a few discussions with people who seem to think that the Legend X (3.6M) must be on a whole different level than the Z1R (2.5M) because 3>2... or that the EA/EE Arthur (which is at most a slightly modified Zeus with a fancy cable slapped on at a 5.5M KRW price tag) is tiers above the Legend X or Zeus XR.

Jul 24, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #18,679 of 40,559

Hahaha how could you say that at tia forte lmao. Its consider as one of the best iem ever.

But I am going to totally agree with you it does not reflect its price in sq.
Maybe its their r&d is to costly?

And on that note. I owned tia forte for a year. I was constantly battling with my phantoms vs tia. And guess what phantom won and it was always my ultimately preferred iem.

Why?

Because tia is to specific instrument. Its only good at certain genras. And phantom is really good in that regard of versatility plus never fatiguing in treble and better mids, they are more forward ahead slightly.

Sad story but it cost me alot to learn that i dont like tia its not for me.
All i love about tia is the amazing DD driver. That was really accurate and fun driver and supremely low into sub region.

Tia frequency 5hz to 22khz

Valkyrie 4hz to 100khz
If I am right I might be very happy with valks sub even more since they should grab even lower.
+ 1z dap. Almost in heaven I guess lol

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #18,680 of 40,559
Hahaha how could you say that at tia forte lmao. Its consider as one of the best iem ever.

The rationale I've heard is that, the more complex it is the more time they spend building 1 as opposed to multiple of the others which makes sense. But unless the tuning is my cup of tea, the difference will never be worth the difference.

Not a criticism on the Forte, it sounds as expected for that tier. Moreso a mark up on an already stratospheric price.

Jul 24, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #18,681 of 40,559

Really? I’m not a big fan of the Fourte. It was one of those instances where first impressions weren’t everything (in a bad way!).

On first listen, it came across as really impressive, with a huge soundstage, clear treble, deep-reaching bass, and an overall engaging sound. But the more I tried it, the more it sounded weird and disjointed, as if the DD (low) and tia drivers (high) were each trying assert control. I preferred the U12t, U18t, and Trio over it.

Jul 24, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #18,682 of 40,559
The rationale I've heard is that, the more complex it is the more time they spend building 1 as opposed to multiple of the others which makes sense. But unless the tuning is my cup of tea, the difference will never be worth the difference.

Not a criticism on the Forte, it sounds as expected for that tier. Moreso a mark up on an already stratospheric price.

Well on that note wraight isnt that far in pricing to tia....

But EE offer more the audio 64 in opinion.

First: the materials used is all highest possible even the soldering is silver mundorf!!!

Second: the cable is Cleopatra which is a must have once you reach that level of iems.

Third: no need for tia drivers technology EE has their own technique to damping the unwanted resonance...

Yes tia tubeless design is great but I felt it had issues and I suspect it swallowed couple notes and it wasnt good at all.

EE is a very nice brand I believe they will evolve to a whole new level with time.

Jul 24, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #18,683 of 40,559
Really? I’m not a big fan of the Fourte. It was one of those instances where first impressions weren’t everything (in a bad way!).

On first listen, it came across as really impressive, with a huge soundstage, clear treble, deep-reaching bass, and an overall engaging sound. But the more I tried it, the more it sounded weird and disjointed, as if the DD (low) and tia drivers (high) were each trying assert control. I preferred the U12t, U18t, and Trio over it.
Tia seems to work better with BA bass is my take on it and it ends up being weird in a hybrid build, never mind I prefer mids. I've never liked hybrids hence why I've stayed away from the X line.

Tribrids on the other hand. Well played Empire, putting Valk in the X line.

Jul 24, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #18,685 of 40,559

Yes Tia Forte as mighty it is. And super pricey like a focal utopia...

It had flaws and at that price I dont think its appropriate...

Mine always felt u shaped and to trebly to my liking. There also a metalic resonance on the high notes at there top.
And I think tia is not linear missing coherency again for that price? Why

I learned that its not the most expensive gear that has the best sound. Hence even sennheiser h-e1 the orpheus was not to my liking LoL
So either my ears are wrong or I don't know he

Jul 24, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #18,686 of 40,559
Well on that note wraight isnt that far in pricing to tia....

But EE offer more the audio 64 in opinion.

First: the materials used is all highest possible even the soldering is silver mundorf!!!

Second: the cable is Cleopatra which is a must have once you reach that level of iems.

Third: no need for tia drivers technology EE has their own technique to damping the unwanted resonance...

Yes tia tubeless design is great but I felt it had issues and I suspect it swallowed couple notes and it wasnt good at all.

EE is a very nice brand I believe they will evolve to a whole new level with time.
What I like about EE is that their lines are tiered somewhat, if A is too expensive we have B for a lower price at a somewhat similar capacity rather than the jumps that happens with 64. Thats why I'm holding out for something between Phantom and Wraith.

The solder material would factor in but not that much imo. As for the cable, it's good choice but if its the reason for the $3500 I much rather get it with SPC instead and take a $700 reduction.

Jul 24, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #18,687 of 40,559
I do find Fourte has too much bass. Trio is my best choice though.

I honestly kept tia for its bass lol. It was ludacriously good to my taste I never had enough.
And reading forums that all said tia have no bass its not a basshead iem bla bla. But that is so false. It had alot of very good bass very high quality id say.

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #18,688 of 40,559
What I like about EE is that their lines are tiered somewhat, if A is too expensive we have B for a lower price at a somewhat similar capacity rather than the jumps that happens with 64. Thats why I'm holding out for something between Phantom and Wraith.

The solder material would factor in but not that much imo. As for the cable, it's good choice but if its the reason for the $3500 I much rather get it with SPC instead and take a $700 reduction.

Youd be surprised but the cable from EE isnt that expensive as if you would buy directly from EA.

Dont forget wraight has a lot of drivers and 8 electrostatic those are probably expensive suckers )
Man 4 per ear. I wonder how that sounds hihi

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #18,689 of 40,559
I honestly kept tia for its bass lol. It was ludacriously good to my taste I never had enough.
And reading forums that all said tia have no bass its not a basshead iem bla bla. But that is so false. It had alot of very good bass very high quality id say.

Musics have no or little bass don’t sound right to me. But Fourte’s bass to my ears is not like Phantom and/or Valkyrie’s bass. :ok_hand:

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #18,690 of 40,559
Youd be surprised but the cable from EE isnt that expensive as if you would buy directly from EA.

Dont forget wraight has a lot of drivers and 8 electrostatic those are probably expensive suckers )
Man 4 per ear. I wonder how that sounds hihi

I’d take a $300-400 reduction to “downgrade” to a plain old SPC cable personally. (Obviously less of a reduction for the Ares/Eros in their other IEMs)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back