Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jul 24, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #18,661 of 40,353
8555B740-FABE-4687-B0FF-2C09AF76B664.jpeg

*fingers crossed* opted for a replacement and i offered to send back the defective pair in good faith

Jul 24, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #18,662 of 40,353
I just save money to buy stuffs I want from original manufacture but not from Drop since I have been there and experienced...

I feel its a unique experience when you can buy directly from the manufacturer.

In my case I even shake hands and get my iems delivered hand to hand in person )

I remember my first visit at EE Devon was very kind and showed all there shop ) It was very cool and my first ever experience.

I am happy I am continuing making my purchases with her.

Jul 24, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #18,663 of 40,353
That shouldn't take long. Drop is reputable. And since you can't buy a Zeus XlV from EE (I believe all that is available is the XR as a custom for around $2400), that $1k is a great investment for a TOTL that would have been around $1800 if they were still making them. Keep in mind as well that the Drop page for the Zeus has had only one report of an issue (cable, I believe). You just got unlucky.

I would also suggest changing out the cable (depending on your source). I've had much better luck using a copper cable with both of my Zeus'. The EA Ares ll is about $150 and allows the Zeus to sound the way it was meant to sound. Since you seem to have a number of cables, try a copper one (if you have it) and listen for differences from the supplied hybrid.

Oh, and give your Zeus about 50 hours of burn-in. That will lead to happier listening. Then just use it and over time it will keep getting better.

Jul 24, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #18,664 of 40,353
That shouldn't take long. Drop is reputable. And since you can't buy a Zeus XlV from EE (I believe all that is available is the XR as a custom for around $2400), that $1k is a great investment for a TOTL that would have been around $1800 if they were still making them. Keep in mind as well that the Drop page for the Zeus has had only one report of an issue (cable, I believe). You just got unlucky.

I would also suggest changing out the cable (depending on your source). I've had much better luck using a copper cable with both of my Zeus'. The EA Ares ll is about $150 and allows the Zeus to sound the way it was meant to sound. Since you seem to have a number of cables, try a copper one (if you have it) and listen for differences from the supplied hybrid.

Oh, and give your Zeus about 50 hours of burn-in. That will lead to happier listening. Then just use it and over time it will keep getting better.

cool, thanks! was intending to pair it with the PW Audio no 5 balanced anyway :)

Jul 24, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #18,665 of 40,353
Yes, USD. Those prices are in Korea (and if anything, they’re understating the price because the currency exchange rate is particularly bad at the moment). Under “normal” circumstances, it would be closer to $2300 (Valkyrie), $4900 (Wraith), $9100 (King Arthur). I expected this after the Legend X got a $1000 markup though.

Japanese prices for previous X/EP series models are comparable (and in some cases slightly cheaper) than US MSRP. Japanese Valkyrie/Wraith prices aren’t up yet, but my guess is that it’ll be ~$1650 (same as Nemesis) and $3400-3500 respectively.

If I were to get a Wraith, there’s no way in hell I’d get one locally. Sure, it comes with a more streamlined warranty service, but for that kind of markup, you better be handing me a glass of Dom Perignon every time I set foot inside the store or something.

"the Legend X got a $1000 markup though."

When did the LX get that mark up?

i have seen the CND price @ $3,020.66 for many months now

I am wondering when i could have had it for 1000.00 USD? less?

Looks like i was slow, and it cost me, but i like things to be around a bit, and read reviews before pulling that trigger

i almost got 64 audio U18t, but reviews convinced me LX is for me

The bass is delicious,w/out sacrificing and or interfering with the rest of the spectrum

Jul 24, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #18,666 of 40,353

Looks like i was slow, and it cost me, but i like things to be around a bit, and read reviews before pulling that trigger

The bass is delicious,w/out sacrificing and or interfering with the rest of the spectrum

Yea but u18t is a hugely different type of sound they are really far apart to each other. Id go a head and say maybe tia forte is like Lx but not u18t at all.

If you like LX maybe valkyrie will be a good direction to for you )

Jul 24, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #18,667 of 40,353

That Canadian price converts pretty exactly to the American price. In some territories (e.g. Singapore), there was an effective markup of $1000USD converting prices, which was purely from the retailer.

Jul 24, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #18,668 of 40,353
That Canadian price converts pretty exactly to the American price. In some territories (e.g. Singapore), there was an effective markup of $1000USD converting prices, which was purely from the retailer.
Basically confirm that asian audiophiles are a special type of insane.

Jul 24, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #18,674 of 40,353

I meant that the local markup was around $1000 over US prices. The Legend X is 3580000KRW, which is just around $3050USD right now. At the time of its release, the currency exchange rate made that closer to $3400.

E-earphone has them for 237000JPY, which is just under $2200.

And really, this isn’t to say that there shouldn’t be a markup at all. (I have and will continue to pay more to support my local stores, receive products sooner, and, if ever necessary, get a less stressful warranty process.) It’s just that there’s a difference between “reasonable” and “cash-grab”, and in the case of Empire products, it goes deep into that second category.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #18,675 of 40,353
I meant that the local markup was around $1000 over US prices. The Legend X is 3580000KRW, which is just around $3050USD right now. At the time of its release, the currency exchange rate made that closer to $3400.

E-earphone has them for 237000JPY, which is just under $2200.
The E-earphone price looks right to me. I pay about the same in $USD to my dealer, no flight needed.

I guess markups in SK are just as bad as HK, I saw the Phantom for that much when I was there last summer. Sure they had stores, but I could literally order from manufacture, get hit by customs and still pay less. Insanity....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back