1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)

1. singleended5863
    It is not actually the hiss and is like the cracking noise sound of the LP. :relieved:

KuroKitsu and Wyville like this.
  2. deafdoorknob
    Spot on! Also, it very much depends on what the listener want out of their iems, I know at least a few IRL head-fiers who prefer bass "neutral" iems for their innately bass heavy music (ie one uses Zeus XIV almost exclusively for deep house, and VE6XC for trance/edm etc) or vice versa.

davidmolliere and Deezel177 like this.
  3. Sound~Patriot
    Agreed! I discovered my Phantoms again as well :D the DX229 combi has much more playtime like my sp1000m what sounds fantastic. I love this musical, warm presentation of the Amp9. It complements perfectly with all my phones. A great surprise btw. Is the bass performance. It's awsomly smooth and nicely controlled. I prefer it over the Amp8 with all my phones. The LX as well is a great partner for the DX229 as the nutubes add this little analogue something to the already tasty soup :)

My Phantoms pick up some hiss, yes. Definitely.
    All my other phones don't.I don't hear it while music is playing though. Even when quiet songs are running i don't register any hissing. But i have to say that i suffer from tinnitus. So my opinion might no be very informative :)

davidmolliere and Wyville like this.
  4. Devon Higgins
    We won't be carrying stock to sell, just a demo w/ our new packaging. But if you want to go ahead and buy them, I can definitely send 2 along for you to save on shipping costs! If you're interested, shoot me a PM and we can take care of it via Paypal.

Empire Ears Stay updated on Empire Ears at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/EmpireEars https://twitter.com/EmpireEars https://www.instagram.com/empireears/ http://www.empireears.com/
    davidcotton and mr.karmalicious like this.
  5. forbiddenbeat
    Great perspective, thanks for sharing. Makes total sense, and I have definitely seen folks use genres as a crutch (e.g. works great for EDM because it has da bassss).

The challenge for me is tying tone, texture, balance, etc. with how those properties will manifest with the music I listen to, especially across different IEMs. Some reviews use the same reference tracks, which can be helpful. Not just good vs. bad, but how the specific nuances of those tracks surface and which aspects are/are not emphasized.

mr.karmalicious likes this.
  6. Deezel177
    Yeah, and I definitely agree with you. That's how I believe naming tracks or genres in reviews should be used; as an example of the characteristics we're describing, rather than an outright substitute for them. At the end of the day, just like in anything else, there has to be a balance. You need to be able to isolate a trait specific to that IEM, and use how it affects a track to get that message across, and vice versa. What you're describing is what I hope to achieve with how I write my reviews, and continue to work towards to this day.

davidmolliere likes this.
  7. Rozeqloud
    [​IMG]

Listened to this last night(Using Legend X and N8)

The 1st track,1st few seconds made me jump because i thought someone/thing was behind me

LOL,seriously chilled

i have not had that happen in well over 10 years,with Klaus Schulze-Ancient ambience,near 14 minutes in,where a woman sighgs/breathes.

That was using Stax Lambdas

i often get an out of head experience with LX,they almost sink into my head,cept for the occasional pinch/discomfort at very bottom of ear

mr.karmalicious likes this.
  8. davidmolliere
    Not too bad, there is some but not an issue when playing music except maybe very low volume passage in tracks but it doesn’t bother me

Wyville likes this.
  9. Vitaly2017
    Is it more hiss then the 1z?

I can hear it on 1z with phantoms but only if I am in a super quiet environment. Other than that dead silent

10. davidmolliere
    It’s a bit more than the 1Z, but nothing dramatic either...

Vitaly2017 likes this.
  11. pinkzeppelincult
    Does anybody know if there are plans for a Wraith and/or Valkyrie tour? Always excited to hear new stuff from EE and CanJam Denver seems to have been nixed this year :triportsad:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  12. KuroKitsu
    @Vitaly2017 so sure of the Valkyrie, I've asked my dealer to order one for me in his shipment. ETA is 2nd/3rd week of August

SBranson likes this.
  13. deafdoorknob
    @Jack Vang @Devon Higgins

i just received my pair of MD Zeus (s/n 0144) yesterday, unfortunately, the sub bass level on the right side is markedly attenuated compared than the left, significantly shifting the tonality and imaging.

i had originally thought it was a seal issue, until i tip rolled (all the final Es, spinfit single, double flange, cfa marshmallows, comply, sony ad nauseam) and eventually out of desperation used the mee triple flange (what i used with andros to secure them when otg) before coming to this conclusion.

The results are consistent, over both stock and non stock cables, swapping channels, playing music, sinewaves, and mono material.

i have emailed Drop and PMed @CEE TEE and Jack on the matter earlier today, fwiw, the left earpiece sounds fraking brilliant, with enough impact with my already bassy music, this somehow makes the issue more upsetting tho lolsigh...

14. Vitaly2017
    The wraith and valkyrie are so in demand and always on the go with the empire ears team at the shows.
    My self I been at empire ears office many times and they still didn't have any on hands they where all out (
    Devon promised me soon shel have one for me to try so fingers crossed )

Ohhh congratulations my friend I am sure you wont regret it! Youl be the first one to own one on headfi )

Devon Higgins likes this.
  15. BananaOoyoo
    It’s still early, and I didn’t get a chance to try them yet, but none of the three IEMs (Valkyrie, Wraith, King Arthur) seems to be getting particularly rave reviews where I live.

Pricing is still obnoxiously high as expected. If I end up liking them, I’ll make sure to grab one from E-Earphone the next time I’m in Japan. MSRP here is $2150, $4600, and $8500 (LOL), and even with the 15% launch discount, it feels fairly money-grabby.

fuhransahis likes this.