Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jul 22, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #18,616 of 40,559
@ajyagle It was nice meeting you at yesterday's Summer NAMM show. You and the rest of the Empire reps (Head-Fi's @Dellwolf, Josh and the last guy whose name I forgot, my apologies, so I will call him "Cool Mustache Dude") were a pleasure.

Just to throw in some simple impressions of the Valkyrie and Wraith for anyone interested. I personally found the Valkyrie too dark for my tastes, so my audition was extremely brief. To my ears, it is nicely detailed but the darker tone makes everything sound too mellow. Others have commented that it is like a cross between Phantom and Legend X. I've never heard Phantom, but I did own the Legend X. I can see at least from one side where that impression would come from. I do think Legend X is brighter and has more sparkle up top than the Valkyrie.

On the other hand, the Wraith is absolutely awesome. Coming from a Zeus-R guy, the Wraith is indeed the spiritual successor. The crystal clarity of the Zeus with a noticeable but not overly done uptick in bass. However, I personally did not think the Cleopatra cable was the best option. IMO, the Aries cable was a better match. Cleo made it a little too bright and slightly thin. Aries tamed the brightness just enough and slightly thickened the overall sound. Ultimately, the Wraith is excellent with either cable.

I had a hard time debating whether to go with the Wraith as my next purchase or the Clear Tunes Da Vinci X. It was a tough call. Sound quality alone, the Wraith was my pick, but the Da Vinci X is not too far behind. The price difference had me waffling. Congrats, Empire Ears, you guys win...

Would you be able to compare them to Zeus R? I’m thinking I wouldn’t mind something with a bit more bass but sounds like the Valkyrie is a bit too much?

Might not make canjam London so getting impressions here if possible.

Also, custom or universal. I’ve always had customs

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #18,617 of 40,559
Legend X is v-shaped (that's what another person said)
Phantom is thick and lacks air on top
Valkyrie seems like a mini Legend
Wraith costs an arm and a leg

Good news for us without money to burn , Zeus XR is still just fine

Jul 22, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #18,618 of 40,559
When you all describe/compare the different models, would it be possible to include the type of music you're using to compare?

For instance, I listen almost exclusively to metal, prog metal, and prog rock (where guitars and drums dominate). The Phantom blows the Zeus-R away for this kind of music precisely because of it's heft in the mids and rumbling bottom end. The Zeus definitely had more detail but just lacked the power.

Jul 22, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #18,619 of 40,559
i guess Phantom is not the one for me then as metal/prog metal/prog rock get zero listen time here

the good thing about Zeus XR (i see you have the R model which is more flat, the XIV has mighty fine mids btw) is that every genre i listen to sounds good

rock / ambient / funk / disco / pop / progressive house / electronica

all genres are fine with XR, zero complaints there.

Jul 22, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #18,620 of 40,559
I wish I could give you a more accurate impression, but it has been a while since I owned the LX and my audition of the Valkyrie was brief. The best explanation I could give is the LX has a V-shaped sound. Take the ends of the V, turn them down a few notches (the treble more than the bass) and you have my impression of the Valkyrie.

In the process of tuning down the bass and treble, I don't, however, get the impression the midrange is any more forward on the Valkyrie than it was on the LX.

I hope that helps to some extent.

The Wraith is definitely not for you :)
My wallet (and my skull) thanks you. I like how the Valk sounds like a mini LX, sounds like what I wished the LX was. And half the price of the Wraith as well.

But the Wraith :p

Jul 22, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #18,622 of 40,559
Jul 22, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #18,623 of 40,559

Thanks! Never have money to burn but always on the look out for the next toy. To be honest, Zeus is still great and I only ever use them over the other sets. No need to buy another!

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #18,624 of 40,559
Finally we get to where people discuss iems as they relate to specific music. It's all well and good to describe an iem or a source or a cable, but it comes down to what you listen to with it/them. Rock from the 60s and 70s and EDM and Classical and Jazz and Techno and Pop and whatever else are all just so different that we really need to factor in WHAT we listen to. In my case, when I am researching the purchase of equipment I make sure, if someone is saying it sounds like this or that, to try to find out what it sounds like with their music. As well as the source and cable. If their music is not my music, it changes the meaning of what they are saying.

Many people bought the Zeus and had an issue with the bottom end. Not enough punch, not enough sub bass, etc. Yet when I listen to mine it sounds perfect in those areas. In fact, I have some music that has almost too much bottom with them. Because what I listen to mostly doesn't put those areas front and center. Or people didn't like how much upper end the Zeus has. Yet that is exactly what I prefer about them. With the music I listen to, they are perfect. Granted, they add nothing to a recording that's not there, but their clarity is what I want. I don't want anything added that is not there.

When the raving about the Phantom started, I got one from Jack (personally) and really tried to love it. Yet nearly everything people said it was great at turned me off. Not the bass, I liked that, but the amount of timbre was too much, vocals sounded too thick, the upper end wasn't enough for me. Because with my music, it just didn't work. I tried the Legend X when I got my Phantom, and lasted less than a minute with it. I felt like I was hearing my music though a thick cloud. It was just noise. Yet I read people here saying how wonderful the upper end is. I couldn't even hear an upper end. Again, with my music.

The same with sources. My AK is very neutral and detailed. I read that the LPG is the same. Yet the Sony Z is always described as very warm. That's going to affect what you hear and how you describe it. When I read reviews, or comments, I look for certain words. Warm and smooth, and I know it's not for me. Detailed and transparent, now we are talking.

Music is about emotion, and when we listen (especially at the high end where most of here live), emotion is what we crave. We just need to be better at saying what we listen to when we describe what we like or dislike in our equipment.

That said, the Wraith sounds interesting but too much like the Zeus to have me consider it at this time. The Valkyrie is clearly not for me. EE is doing an excellent job at giving users/customers choices, and their quality and price points make them (to my mind) the go-to/cutting edge place to be right now with iems. Just be sure that what you get will pair up well with what you listen to and what you use as a source. And of course the For Sale area here always shows who tried what and didn't like it.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #18,625 of 40,559
Question for the EE guys on here (@ajyagle / @Devon Higgins ) - will the new Pandora cases be available to buy at Canjam London? Would like to get a pair for my Athena and Zeus-XR, but as I'm based in the UK, shipping will be the same as the cost of the cases if I order direct from you guys.

Just wondering if Dean or Jack will be bringing some spares to sell?

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #18,626 of 40,559
Just dropping by as my Phantom get a lot of air time these days, if you own an iBasso DAP look out for the NuTubes powered AMP9, it pairs so very beautifully with the Phantom quite an experience! The synergy is nothing short of superb... really bring a lof of air and the dynamic range really shines with the Phantom... oh my!

I suppose the new models get a lot of attention these days but the Phantom remain so very unique and relevant :)

Jul 22, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #18,627 of 40,559
Finally we get to where people discuss iems as they relate to specific music. It's all well and good to describe an iem or a source or a cable, but it comes down to what you listen to with it/them. Rock from the 60s and 70s and EDM and Classical and Jazz and Techno and Pop and whatever else are all just so different that we really need to factor in WHAT we listen to. In my case, when I am researching the purchase of equipment I make sure, if someone is saying it sounds like this or that, to try to find out what it sounds like with their music. As well as the source and cable. If their music is not my music, it changes the meaning of what they are saying.

Many people bought the Zeus and had an issue with the bottom end. Not enough punch, not enough sub bass, etc. Yet when I listen to mine it sounds perfect in those areas. In fact, I have some music that has almost too much bottom with them. Because what I listen to mostly doesn't put those areas front and center. Or people didn't like how much upper end the Zeus has. Yet that is exactly what I prefer about them. With the music I listen to, they are perfect. Granted, they add nothing to a recording that's not there, but their clarity is what I want. I don't want anything added that is not there.

When the raving about the Phantom started, I got one from Jack (personally) and really tried to love it. Yet nearly everything people said it was great at turned me off. Not the bass, I liked that, but the amount of timbre was too much, vocals sounded too thick, the upper end wasn't enough for me. Because with my music, it just didn't work. I tried the Legend X when I got my Phantom, and lasted less than a minute with it. I felt like I was hearing my music though a thick cloud. It was just noise. Yet I read people here saying how wonderful the upper end is. I couldn't even hear an upper end. Again, with my music.

The same with sources. My AK is very neutral and detailed. I read that the LPG is the same. Yet the Sony Z is always described as very warm. That's going to affect what you hear and how you describe it. When I read reviews, or comments, I look for certain words. Warm and smooth, and I know it's not for me. Detailed and transparent, now we are talking.

Music is about emotion, and when we listen (especially at the high end where most of here live), emotion is what we crave. We just need to be better at saying what we listen to when we describe what we like or dislike in our equipment.

That said, the Wraith sounds interesting but too much like the Zeus to have me consider it at this time. The Valkyrie is clearly not for me. EE is doing an excellent job at giving users/customers choices, and their quality and price points make them (to my mind) the go-to/cutting edge place to be right now with iems. Just be sure that what you get will pair up well with what you listen to and what you use as a source. And of course the For Sale area here always shows who tried what and didn't like it.
Hey @olddude , sorry if I missed it but what do you listen to? For me the LX kills Prog on the SP1000ss.

Jul 22, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #18,628 of 40,559
On my note I just got my phantoms back and after 3 weeks of long waiting. Oh mine I feel like I am hearing phantoms for the very first time again lol. They literally blown my hat away lmao. That sound so luxarious and noble, i feel like i am surrounded by warmth and honey everything is so smoothe silky and dark thick....

I mostly listen to spotify and edm music like trance chillout psytrance. I ussualy dont like singers to sing prefer just listen to music or instruments... i like to float and be in a sort of meditative state with my music

Phantom is the absolute best for this for me.
+ 1z and ares 2 bespoke and its even more lushness and warmth....

Jul 22, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #18,629 of 40,559
My era. Rock from the 60s and 70s, some 80s. Beatles, Stones, Traffic, Hendrix (which is insane with the Zeus), Tears For Fears, Costello, Motown, Rundgren, etc. Not really a lot of rumble with them, not really a lot of sub bass. Solid bottom, vocals in the mids with guitars and lots of top end. I use the XlV switch more than I do the R switch, unless something needs a bit of smoothing, like The Mamas And The Papas, or Sketches Of Spain.

Jul 22, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #18,630 of 40,559
Just dropping by as my Phantom get a lot of air time these days, if you own an iBasso DAP look out for the NuTubes powered AMP9, it pairs so very beautifully with the Phantom quite an experience! The synergy is nothing short of superb... really bring a lof of air and the dynamic range really shines with the Phantom... oh my!

I suppose the new models get a lot of attention these days but the Phantom remain so very unique and relevant :)

Totally agreed. This combination is killing me right now. :L3000:

Phantom is the absolute best for this for me.
+ 1z and ares 2 bespoke and its even more lushness and warmth....

DX229 and Phantom via Eros II 8wire is best combination I have ever listened to. Maybe DX220 Max and Valkyrie via Janus B can beat them easily...will see! :smile_phones:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back