Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
May 21, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #1,846 of 40,538
No I don't. But for owners of the original Zeus, how much does it cost?

For example, I know as the owner of H8P, my upgrade to the H8.2 will cost around 250 euros in July. Any such public figures?

I think its 200 dollar for the upgrade.

May 21, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #1,848 of 40,538
May 21, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #1,849 of 40,538
I will put in a vote for the Questyle Audio QP1R.  The QP1R sounds the most resolute with the Empire Ears lineup out of all of the DAPs, some quasi-DAC/Amps and some DAC/Amps that I have compared, to my ears including and not limited to; the Intermedia Lotoo PAW Gold, Altmann Tera-Player, Chord Mojo, latest Onkyo and Pioneer DAPs, all AKs (I haven't listened to the AK300 yet, though), HIFIMAN players and others, as compared in my QP1R review, here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/778877/review-questyle-audio-qp1r-with-multiple-headphone-and-iem-pairings.

With regards to the Mojo or any other add-on device, I would just rather not strap a device or add a device to my source that will automatically add bulk, an extra cable attaching to the source, and adding another device I need to charge or keep charged, especially when I feel the source sounds better to my ears (in my specific case, the QP1R).  

It's all good because I'm glad that there are products that take care of individuals' wants and needs, as there are a lot of people that don't mind the bulk/requiring extra cable/extra device to charge or keep charged and love the sound that the Mojo is able to create in a mandatory conjunction with a source. 

Funny thing, the m9XX that I own sounds very similar to the Mojo, so even if I went with the Mojo for strictly home use, I've got a very close in sound signature already that is the m9XX (not to mention it costs less as well).

What about the hiss?

May 21, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #1,850 of 40,538
What about the hiss?

What about the hiss?  Depends on who you ask.  With regards to hiss, I discuss about it in my QP1R review, if interested. 
beerchug.gif

May 21, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #1,853 of 40,538
Congratulations, @shotgunshane
, on your EE Spartan IV raffle win! 

Thanks!

I was also able to hear the QPR1, although not with EE iems. It's a great sounding player. I hope I can get an extended audition one day to see if it can replace some of my multiple rigs. 1 dap to rule them all would be nice.

May 21, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #1,854 of 40,538
May 21, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #1,855 of 40,538
Is the hiss discussed in the first 700 pages of your review? I can't find that chapter :wink:

Seriously, great review. Very comprehensive.

Search "hiss" and...you've found it!

Thank you for the kind words. It's seriously a lot of work, time and psychologically crazy because of all the nice, awesome people and even trolls that like to have their fun. As long as I can help people in any way that I can, it's all worth it.

Here is my view right now during my Master of Arts Commencement:

May 21, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #1,856 of 40,538
Thanks!

I was also able to hear the QPR1, although not with EE iems. It's a great sounding player. I hope I can get an extended audition one day to see if it can replace some of my multiple rigs. 1 dap to rule them all would be nice.

Hit me up later. I can send mine down for you to use for a few weeks.

May 22, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #1,857 of 40,538
What about the hiss?

I tried my Zeus R with the QP1R last night and the hiss was the worst that I have ever heard from a DAP/IEM combo. On low gain it was still too much.  Way too much gain also - couldn't use a volume setting above 10 on most tracks.  I'll save the QP1R for other things - it's great on the Earsonics SM2 (can't say that about many DAPs) and the best I have heard at driving the Phonak PFE232.

May 22, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #1,858 of 40,538
I tried my Zeus R with the QP1R last night and the hiss was the worst that I have ever heard from a DAP/IEM combo. On low gain it was still too much.  Way too much gain also - couldn't use a volume setting above 10 on most tracks.  I'll save the QP1R for other things - it's great on the Earsonics SM2 (can't say that about many DAPs) and the best I have heard at driving the Phonak PFE232.

That's what I feared to be honest. I'm not overly sensitive to hiss and it's something that's going to bother different people to varying degrees. Other people have other views but my gut feeling, based not upon what I've heard but on what I've read about the QP1R, is that it would be too much for earphones as sensitive as these.

I'm curious to try it out though. Not curious enough to spend all that £ on something that could render my favourite IEMs unlistenable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back