Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
May 18, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #1,817 of 40,353
How does Zeus R compare to other flagships like Layla II and K10 ?

May 18, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #1,818 of 40,353
How does Zeus R compare to other flagships like Layla II and K10 ?

Should have a review out next week when I'm back from vacation, but let's just say I immediately sold my K10 universal aluminum after I heard the original Zeus, and the Zeus-R is even better. I haven't heard the Layla, but I didn't love the Roxanne I once owned, so I didn't even bother auditioning it.

May 18, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #1,819 of 40,353
Should have a review out next week when I'm back from vacation, but let's just say I immediately sold my K10 universal aluminum after I heard the original Zeus, and the Zeus-R is even better. I haven't heard the Layla, but I didn't love the Roxanne I once owned, so I didn't even bother auditioning it.

FWIW, the Layla and the Roxanne are very different IEMs in terms of sound signature and tonality, so it's hard to use the Roxanne as a reference in comparison to the Layla (and Layla II). I have the Roxanne myself, and I've heard the Layla on several occasions.

With that said, the Zeus is a true challenger to the K10, and surpasses it in several aspects. Let's just say that I'm very much in love with the sound of my Zeus, and I'm very eager to hear what improvements the Zeus R brings to the table. 
smile.gif

May 18, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #1,820 of 40,353

Stoked! Are you coming to Canlanta?

FWIW, the Layla and the Roxanne are very different IEMs in terms of sound signature and tonality, so it's hard to use the Roxanne as a reference in comparison to the Layla (and Layla II). I have the Roxanne myself, and I've heard the Layla on several occasions.

With that said, the Zeus is a true challenger to the K10, and surpasses it in several aspects. Let's just say that I'm very much in love with the sound of my Zeus, and I'm very eager to hear what improvements the Zeus R brings to the table. :smile:  

I have no doubt in my mind you'll love the R even more. Looking forward to upgrading yours!

May 18, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #1,822 of 40,353
Can I have an Athena R, please? :)

can't have mine!!!!!  They are here to stay, but making me think of the Zeus-R.  

there is no 'enough'   !!

May 18, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #1,823 of 40,353

With that said, the Zeus is a true challenger to the K10, and surpasses it in several aspects. Let's just say that I'm very much in love with the sound of my Zeus, and I'm very eager to hear what improvements the Zeus R brings to the table. :smile:  

Very good point. Sorry, I did a poor job explaining myself. What I meant was I wasn't blown away by the sound of the Roxanne but the ergonomics and build quality of the Roxanne universal were more disappointing than the sound, enough to turn me off to the Layla. I shouldn't judge the Layla by that experience, however, especially since I've read a lot of positive reviews.

On the other hand, the K10UA impressed me a lot on first listen, and the build quality was impeccable as with Noble products in general. Over time, however, I found I really didn't love the treble of the K10UA, although it seems like this might be a characteristic of the aluminum version. The Zeus-R gets the treble definition damn near perfect to my ears.

May 18, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #1,824 of 40,353
Stoked! Are you coming to Canlanta?

Sadly I'll be out of country at a friend's wedding. The headphone meet schedule seems to be in direct conflict with my vacation schedule this year. :frowning2:

Jealous I won't be there to see all the faces of the new folks auditioning the Zeus-R. Man are they in for a treat!

May 18, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #1,827 of 40,353
Echoing Spamateur and Shotgunshane's sentiment on the treble presentation of the Zeus R. I'm not touching EQ to bump it this time like I did with the Zeus.
The Zeus R hits my sparkle craving just right. Good airy extension helped with the headstage width in that regard.

May 19, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #1,828 of 40,353
I have no doubt in my mind you'll love the R even more. Looking forward to upgrading yours!

With all this talk about an improved treble presentation, you can be sure that I'll be on board for the upgrade! Can't wait to try them soon! 
smile.gif

BTW, not sure if this has been discussed before (I'm sure it has), but is the Zeus going to be marketed as the Zeus R, or is the improved model simply supplanting the original version? Thanks in advance!

May 19, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #1,829 of 40,353
Very good point. Sorry, I did a poor job explaining myself. What I meant was I wasn't blown away by the sound of the Roxanne but the ergonomics and build quality of the Roxanne universal were more disappointing than the sound, enough to turn me off to the Layla. I shouldn't judge the Layla by that experience, however, especially since I've read a lot of positive reviews.

On the other hand, the K10UA impressed me a lot on first listen, and the build quality was impeccable as with Noble products in general. Over time, however, I found I really didn't love the treble of the K10UA, although it seems like this might be a characteristic of the aluminum version. The Zeus-R gets the treble definition damn near perfect to my ears.

Hey, no apologies needed. At least I better understand where you are coming from. I agree that the universal Siren series models are huge. Even with my relatively big ears, they do stick out quite a bit, and thus, they tend to be quite unsightly. Worse, they are terribly uncomfortable to use. Nevertheless, the Layla is certainly a quality IEM, with clarity and soundstage among its strongest points. Still, I'm a huge fan of the Roxanne sound, so the Layla is not quite right up my alley. They are worth auditioning, though. 
smile.gif

I also agree that the K10's treble is its weakest point. Apart from its treble however, I love everything that the K10 brings to the table. On the other hand, the Zeus truly ups the ante with a damn near impeccable sound signature (for my tastes). With its improved treble in the form of the Zeus R, I'm sure it's going to be something really special. Can't wait to try the Zeus R soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back