1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)

First

Back
102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111
113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122
Next

Last
  1. AxelCloris Administrator

How about wannabe Zeus XIV owners? Can we PM you too? We like to party too.

2. Spamateur

Jack gave me the OK to give some brief impressions:

Last week he hit me up to see if I could find to stop by Empire's offices, and he had a mysterious universal Zeus waiting for me to listen to. He said nothing about what was different, just cryptically asking me "give it a listen and let me know what you think." 

About 10 seconds into the first track, I turned to Jack and said "is it just me or is the clarity on this model much better?" That was the most obvious change: noticeably improved clarity from top to bottom. It's not a subtle change either--it was obvious from the first few notes. I was stunned. Dean had made some sound tweaks that were a big leap forward in transparency while also lowering the sensitivity to make the Zeus play better with hissier sources. The OG Zeus had some bloom, particularly in the mids, that lent kind of a romantic tone to the sound while compromising absolute clarity. I personally liked that sound a lot, but I do have to say that the new version cuts down on that bloom while sacrificing none of the stellar qualities that the original had. Oh yeah, and it's significantly less hissy than the original when it comes to sources, as well as some more improvements that I'll touch on in a longer review in the coming weeks.

Needless to say I'm going to have mine upgraded to the new version, and I would urge everyone else to as well. 

TL;DR: the Zeus just got even better, y'all.

3. Cagin
    And the hammer's been dropped! 

The Zeus' my atom bomb baby

Spamateur likes this.
  4. Jack Vang

I have a different agenda for you and Vince lol

Empire Ears Stay updated on Empire Ears at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/EmpireEars https://twitter.com/EmpireEars https://www.instagram.com/empireears/ http://www.empireears.com/
  5. Watagump
    So now you only like Zeus owners, alright everyone else can PM me, not sure what we will talk about, but I didn't want anyone to feel left out. [​IMG]

Docterror likes this.
  6. AxelCloris Administrator

re81Us.gif

tumblr_nmilgwxAyk1sxxnzso6_400.gif

7. Jazzi
    Dagnabbit!  I was hoping to put off buying the Zeus for a little while, but now I have to just to find out what the big secret is all about!!

8. AxelCloris Administrator

tumblr_nphb9i6uMs1qksk74o1_500.gif

Give in to the temptation. Also, not sure why I'm on such a gif kick today.

9. shotgunshane Contributor
    I can confirm what Spamateur heard. This weekend I was given a chance to hear the current Zeus uni next to the updated version. I tested both on a mezzo soprano modded MS-AK120. Clarity is indeed taken up a notch and the treble has improved sparkle. Overall I thought it made Zeus sound more balanced and even more engaging. I'm definitely sending mine in for the upgrade.

Spamateur likes this.
  10. BRCMRGN
    When I went AXPONA, I no intention of buying anything.  First I listened to Zeus and was blown away, they were taking impressions right there. Who in their right mind could pass this up?  SOLD!  Then I made the mistake of of listening to my Phonak Audeo PFE 232 from a Questyle QP1R and the 232s sound better and more dynamic than from any of my other 20 DAPs. Who in their right mind could pass that up? SOLD!  Then I listened to the Campfire Audio Andromeda. Even more impressive that my Jupiter. Who in their right mind could pass this up?  Me - I was finally out of money. Ditto for the Ether C.  Oh well, there is always next year. 

Seriously, the Zeus has tight bass with excellent tonality on tracks that other IEMs and headphones make sound like hippos mating in a mud pit. And that's for a mid-centric IEM. Very impressive.

11. AxelCloris Administrator

Haha, yeah I'll be the first to admit that attending shows like AXPONA and CanJam are dangerous for the wallet. Not only do you get to demo gear you might not otherwise be able to hear, but you also get a chance to sit and talk with the manufacturers and get to know their brand and their story. The way to sell audio gear is through a combination of establishing trust in a brand and hearing the products. It's just as true today as it was when I worked for Magnolia years ago. At shows like AXPONA it's easy to establish both and that's great for the industry but it can make our wallets cry for mercy. That show special was absolutely sick and it helped muffle some of the quiet sobs escaping our pockets.

12. Jazzi

Wait!  What? 30% off for being at the show?  Uh, I was there.  Remember me? I hope Jack remembers seeing me there. [​IMG]

13. Watagump

I got 100% off my t-shirt, at CanJam.

14. SomeWiseGuy
    dtbty.gif

Spamateur likes this.
  15. Larethio
    Huh? An upgraded Zeus? I'll probably get my Zeus in two months. Will that be enough time for there being a chance that I'll get the upgraded Zeus instead of the original?

First

Back
102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111
113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122
Next

Last