1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)

First

Back
95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104
106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115
Next

Last
  1. AxelCloris Administrator

In my opinion a well designed single ended amp can be just as quiet as a balanced amp. The biggest draw to a balanced systems is their innate noise rejection and there are SE amps and DACs that can do that well. My Chord Mojo comes to mind as a good example.

Want balanced? Go CDM. I did and it's excellent, it can really make IEMs shine.

2. GrouchoMarx1933

I'm not disparaging single-ended systems, I just happen to have a lot of balanced capable devices that sound their best in balanced mode.

As for the Continental Dual Mono, it costs about what I paid for my Bifrost Multibit, Valhalla 2, AND Liquid Carbon combined. I would not be comfortable using that for portable purposes, which is where I use my IEMs.

I'm trying the Spartans balanced out of my Pono now and it sounds much better than they did in single-ended (a function of the Pono itself sounding much better balanced). And they sound absolutely fantastic going balanced out of my Liquid Carbon. Tons of detail, space, and excellent layering. Now that is an addictive combo.

3. Spamateur
    Any chance you could give us a few more details comparing the two?

4. AxelCloris Administrator

Absolutely, there are systems that sound far better from their balanced output. The Schiit Gungnir comes to mind. It has both but the balanced sounds better. It was designed to be balanced and the SE outputs were added for convenience. A product designed to be SE can sound just as good as one designed to be balanced if done properly. It all comes down to the designer and their designs.

The CDM definitely isn't cheap. Trust me, my wallet knows. For me it was the fact that it sounded so good and is completely portable that sold me on it. I take it with my a lot of the time when I travel because it's my portable tube system.

I can't comment on the Pono because I don't have one and my demo with it was brief. I know a lot of people seem to enjoy theirs so that says something about it.

5. moedawg140 Contributor
    Speaking about the Pono - I was trying to do A/B listen at AXPONA with the Pono and QP1R to add additional thoughts to my QP1R review, but the card I put in the gentleman's Pono would not finish the "search for media"/database update after 20 minutes of waiting. It could have also been the fact I put in my 200GB and either the Pono didn't support it or simply took forever to database update the music that was on the card. Either way, I wasn't able to listen at all. No bueno. At least the HM 901S actually read one of my cards (128GB), but forces the update and it takes a long while to update as well depending on the amount of tracks are loaded on the card, which is not good either.

6. Jack Vang

Glad we got your SD card back! The next day I was on the lookout like

giphy2.gif

Empire Ears Stay updated on Empire Ears at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/EmpireEars https://twitter.com/EmpireEars https://www.instagram.com/empireears/ http://www.empireears.com/
    Hisoundfi likes this.
  7. Watagump
    Maybe people should get smaller cards with just a few songs for times when they just want to do some minor testing and want quick results. It could possibly solve some issues, just a thought. [​IMG]  

8. Larethio
    image5047.jpg

I absolutely adore this. What should I pick in the customizer to make it look like these?

9. moedawg140 Contributor

Well that was another issue entirely!  If the Pono worked you would haven't had to go Urkel and I wouldn't have been like

bloodsport.gif

10. GrouchoMarx1933

Yeah, the Pono can take forever to read full large capacity SD cards. It's one of the biggest problems with the device.

11. moedawg140 Contributor

The Pono should work, no matter what.  If not, not my fault. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Are you going to represent EE at the next event?

12. moedawg140 Contributor

Exactly.  Terrible.

13. GrouchoMarx1933

I had my music on multiple 64 GB cards and still ran into that problem. I've since jumped to three 128 GB SD cards (three cards supposedly being the most the Pono can store in its cache so you don't have such a long scan period), but it's a real bummer.

14. Watagump

No its not your fault, I agree, but sometimes you do things just to make life easier, even when you shouldn't have to. London CanJam? Heck I dont even own a passport, I am one of the least traveled people around. [​IMG] I bet it would be fun going though, I wont lie.

15. moedawg140 Contributor

Yeah, I used my 32GB card for my camera, and didn't bring it to AXPONA.  Even so, the Pono would take forever just to load those songs up!  Again, no bueno with regards to the Pono.

You can get passport photos at your favorite Costco (I love Costco as well) and easy to apply for a passport for the most part.  I guess we will have to see, huh? [​IMG] [​IMG] 

First

Back
95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104
106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115
Next

Last