Emotiva Pro airmotiv4 Loudspeakers Review
Nov 8, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #286 of 413
Here's a question: If I am looking for a desktop speaker setup to place at most an inch away from the wall, should I even be considering these? I am currently looking at the AudioEngine P4 for the front port and the N22, and I can get them at a great price. Does anyone know how the P4 & N22 combination compares to the Airmotiv?

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #289 of 413
Well,  I ordered a pair of the Airmotiv 6 Studio monitors. They will be used in a fairly large room. (A bit of a gamble I know) I will post a review in about 10 days.   I hope they are up to the challenge.

Dec 9, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #290 of 413
Quote:
Well,  I ordered a pair of the Airmotiv 6 Studio monitors. They will be used in a fairly large room. (A bit of a gamble I know) I will post a review in about 10 days.   I hope they are up to the challenge.

I'm really interested in a review like this since I also plan to use a pair in a large room. Good luck. 

Dec 9, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #291 of 413
If you're like me and are using them too close to a back wall, plug the rear ports with some foam. My desk has a gap from the back wall, which was turning the whole set-up into a huge bass port -- very far from ideal. The foam fixed that.

Dec 29, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #295 of 413
Quote:
Here's a question: If I am looking for a desktop speaker setup to place at most an inch away from the wall, should I even be considering these? I am currently looking at the AudioEngine P4 for the front port and the N22, and I can get them at a great price. Does anyone know how the P4 & N22 combination compares to the Airmotiv?

I bought a pair of emotiva 5s over the summer.I am for the most part very satisfied with them and I am using them in a desktop siting and they are about 11 inches off the back wall and they sound pretty good though I did have to ramp the bass back to its mininum -4 db setting
because the bass was just to prominent at the higher settings in my situation.Of course an inch away I do not think it would work very well with its bass slot beeing situated in the rear.
  I did try the 5s with my living room setup and they performed quite impressively on my two foot sound anchor 4 post stands.They did work somewhat better on video sound than they did on cds in my setting.The room is of medium dimensions and I think the 6 would have worked much better in the living room because of its larger dimensions and its advantage having twice the on board power rating of 201 wats rms per speaker.But the six is much too large for my desktop setting to be considered in that capacity.
  But I am very happy with the 5s in my computer set up.I have made one tweak on them I am using a emotiva iec power cord from their cable listing and it works very well with my fives.The 5s sound much better with the upgraded power cable.The cord is very reasonably priced just check out the emotiva website.I am using two meter long power cables in my setup.

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #296 of 413
ljsegil, the svs sb-1000 seems like it would make a good combo with the airmotivs. I'm curious how you set up a 2.1 system with powered speakers such as the airmotiv 4s though. Do you have a preamp or are you running RCA or XLR to the speakers/sub directly from a DAC?

Jan 12, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #297 of 413
I'm going from a DAC directly to the sub that has stereo RCA inputs and outputs, then going from the outputs of the sub back to the Emotivas.  The sub has a 80 Hz high pass filter on the outputs (not adjustable or switchable) so I set the crossover on the sub to match that.  I'm very pleased with the results.  I was worried that the bass would get flabby with the sub carrying most of the sound up to 80 Hz, but it seems to be doing surprisingly well, and the stereo separation is not diminished to my ears.  And I guess I should mention that the bass does sound good as well.
Larry

Jan 13, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #298 of 413
Thanks for the reply. The base is very good on my Airmotiv 5s, especially considering their diminutive size, but I plan to add a powered sub in the near future for a little extra oomph on the low end. That seems like a simple, effective and relatively inexpensive way of setting up a nice 2.1 system. 

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #299 of 413
Wow, these look quite interesting. I've been enjoying sound from speakers more lately than from my headphone adventures, thus, have been considering upgrading my desktop speakers.

These would be fine to use for games, right? I've been using the Creative T40 II for awhile now and really love them for all my uses. Came from a Logitech Z623. Glad I got rid of the sub.

Searched the thread for any KRKs. I wonder how the Rokit 5's compare, as I'm torn between the two. The front bass port on the R5 may do the trick, because I'm backed up in a corner.

Feb 26, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #300 of 413
changed my setup a bit.  Got a pair of split RCA outputs coming from the DAC and directly to the Airmotivs and the SVS sub, so the Airmotivs are no longer getting their input through the sub.  This allows me better control of the system by adjusting the crossover on the sub and allowing the Airmotivs to extend to their natural 50 or so Hz lower limit without being cut off by the high pass filtering of the sub outputs.  Better sound than the setup I described above, though I find that I am adjusting the volume on the sub according to the type of music and particular recording to get the sound where I like it, but the result is certainly an improvement.
Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back