Emotiva Pro airmotiv4 Loudspeakers Review
May 17, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #211 of 413
well i can't compare the 6s to the rokit 10-3s, but i did a comparison between my airmotiv 4s vs my friend's rokit 6 g2s.

the airmotivs are definitely more transparent and the tweeter blows away the silk dome on the rokit 6s.

the rokits blow away the airmotivs in sheer bass quantity, with the 6" woofer, there's no comparison there.  the rokits are also more smiley-eq'd, which lead to more treble and bass presence.

the airmotivs definitely won't fill a room with punchy bass where the rokits will. but detail across the range and sound quality is definitely better than the rokits.

May 24, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #212 of 413
So word to the un-wise: Check voltages on the rear of your speakers
frown.gif
 I ordered the 230v, but apparently there was a mix up, so I meow have two blown 110v 5s hooked up that I haven't heard yet after a month of waiting on my DAC lol...their customer service (CS) was on point and responded very promptly.  They're even offering me the chance to upgrade to the 6s for the new price diff. (price drop a week after i ordered, i inquired as to whether the pay-the-difference upgrade was an option)

all in all a very classy company to work with, can't speak for the sound yet, but the CS puts them ahead of the pack in my eyes.  Just thought i'd share my experience thus far, in case anyone is on the fence.
smile.gif

(post was edited after receiving the reply from Emotiva's CS)

May 24, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #213 of 413
[size=small]I'm considering pairing my Airmotiv 4's with an Audioengine D1 dac. I use the airmotivs with my macbook pro for lossless audio listening and some 320k mp3 listening. The speakers sit on my desk nearfield (2ft). I know the D1 is highly regarded, but at least one review has described the sound from it as more "fat" and rounded than lean. See link below. Since the airmotivs are already very neutral and lean, I'm wondering if this would be a good pairing or just muddy up the clarity of the airmotivs a bit. Anyone tried this combination out there? I really like the airmotivs, but I do miss some of the midbass from my old audioengine A5's that made guitars sound so nice.[/size]

[size=small]http://www.audiostream.com/content/audioengine-d1-24-bit-dac[/size]

May 26, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #214 of 413
Noob here.
I am running a computer system from a Mac Pro using Pure Music software via digital optical toslink to a CEntrance DACmini and then directly to either the airmotiv4s or HiFiman HE-400 headphones.  The toslink cable is ~a 6 ft. run, I have shielded but not otherwise out of the ordinary 1 meter unbalanced RCA interconnects from the DAC to the speakers and the stock HiFiman cable for the phones.  Nothing fancy on the power for any of it, other than keeping the DC adapter from the DAC on the floor, thus distancing the AC line power.  The speakers sit on my desk, no stands (they came with little stick-on rubber feet), about 3-4 ft distance to me and angled towards my chair (and head as well, usually).
As far as my take on some of the questions that have caught my attention, first I do not hear any detectable hiss from the speakers, although the Mac Pro provides a bit of background noise at all times (audible even through the open headphones).  I came to this setup in an evolutionary way, starting with the Audioengine A2s and no DAC, which I found disappointing in most every way.  I added the Audioengine D1 DAC which brought minimal improvement.  As the A2s were still within their return period, and I was reading such good things about the airmotiv 4s, I decided to upgrade.  The improvement was enormous, in just about every aspect of musical reproduction, but particularly so in bass reproduction, openness and sound stage, and clarity of the treble.  Next step was to give the Audioengine DAV to my son as a birthday gift without mentioning that it was to enable me to upgrade the DAC to the CEntrance DACmini.  Rock my world!  The difference made by the DAC was remarkable, both through the speakers and the headphones.  Most improved were the soundstage and separation, clarity of voicing, realism in the treble, and tightening up of the bass.  The airmotivs seemed like a new speaker altogether, their realism paired with the new DAC was impressive.  Finally, I added the Pure Music software, after also experimenting with Decibel, and the incremental improvement was again gratifying.
I now have a system that (to the dismay of my family) keeps me pretty near glued to my desk, trying to invent excuses to be there so I can listen without pause.  I haven't enjoyed music like this in decades (corresponding to the birth of my children which meant the death of my living room HiFi setup).
So no, I haven't heard the Adam speakers which also piqued my interest but were too pricey for what seemed to be a similar product to the airmotivs, but I no longer feel the need to change the system any further.  I am deriving such pleasure from this setup; I think my eternal GAS syndrome will be dormant for at least a few weeks (probably a duration record for me).
Thanks to all forum members who have made my lurking here so pleasurable and educational over the recent past.
Larry

May 26, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #215 of 413
Glad to hear it.  If you are happy and content with your system, there's no need to upgrade.  I, too, just recently returned to audiophilia, now that my son is no longer a baby.  I've set up my living room to be a pretty decent listening room, and now everyday I can't wait to sit there and listen to music.  The newly-found space and time for audiophilia, however, has set my off on an upgrade binge.  Within the last four months I've bought three headphones, two headphone amps and two DACs.  The next and final purchase will be to replace the monitors in a couple of weeks.  Enjoy.

May 27, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #216 of 413
The DACmini sounds nice, but it's waaaay out of my price range. From what you're saying, it sounds like I might not get much benefit from the D1. Hard to say at this point. But thanks for your input ljsegil

May 27, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #217 of 413
I didn't mean to sound negative about the D1, I think that it just maxed out the potential of the A2 speakers.  It really sounded very very good paired with the emotives, but the DACmini did provide incremental improvement over the D1.  I can't have claimed to have listened to that many DACs, but I think the D1 is excellent quality for the price.  It certainly made the headphones sing compared to the headphone output of the Mac Pro.  Jottle, if you're considering the D1, I think it is very much worth a trial, and Audioengine does give you a 30 day return window if you are not satisfied.  I do think it is a fine piece of equipment.
Larry

May 28, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #218 of 413
Quote:
I didn't mean to sound negative about the D1, I think that it just maxed out the potential of the A2 speakers.  It really sounded very very good paired with the emotives, but the DACmini did provide incremental improvement over the D1.  I can't have claimed to have listened to that many DACs, but I think the D1 is excellent quality for the price.  It certainly made the headphones sing compared to the headphone output of the Mac Pro.  Jottle, if you're considering the D1, I think it is very much worth a trial, and Audioengine does give you a 30 day return window if you are not satisfied.  I do think it is a fine piece of equipment.
Larry

Good to hear. I just wasn't sure in your previous pos whether or not you could discern any improvement using the airmotiv's w/out the D1 and with the D1. How would you describe the improvement, if possible?

May 28, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #219 of 413
I'm afraid I can't help you there.  I never tried the airmotivs without a DAC (I don't have a cable to run them directly from the computer).  The A2s definitely sounded better with the D1 than when driven directly from the computer,, and the airmotivs sounded quite good with the D1 but seem to my ears to be much more alive with the DACmini, particularly the treble end, breadth and placement of the soundstage, and separation of the instruments.  I think they're great sounding speakers with either DAC.
Larry

Jun 5, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #224 of 413
I don't think any of their consumer stuff is powered. That's why these are their 'Pro' models. It does sound like they're trying to move this tweeter to their consumer stuff though which would be pretty cool.

As for subs I agree that we pay a lot for those last 100hz. I'll have to hear the bass on these before deciding if I want one or not. That was the main motivation to buy the 6s was more extension.

Unfortunate you can't get those 450s...You'd be forgetting subs altogether.

Oh, and if they're to my liking I might be looking into doing a fully powered 5.2 system...because...why not?

Quote:

Goodie.

Looking for somewhat small speakers for bedroom set-up. Ditched the massive party speaker idea due to some restrictions.

I wish quality subs didn't cost so much.

Edit:

Has anybody mentioned their performance vs. Emotiva's consumer monitors?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back