Emotion in Music Without Words
Sep 17, 2002 at 5:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

penvzila

500+ Head-Fier
It seems like electronic music does this best for me. What is your favorite song that evokes a certain emotion withOUT lyrics.

For me it is Autechre's Netlon Sentinel.

Sep 17, 2002 at 6:06 AM Post #2 of 38
Well, here's a new song -- however, the song has lyrics, but a certain part of the song that has that magical emotion chord progression:

Coldplay - Politik 4:05 through the end

Was just listening to this album as I browsed Head-Fi.

Sep 17, 2002 at 6:58 AM Post #4 of 38
Aeris' Theme (symphonic) on the Final Fantasy 7 Reunion soundtrack. It's even more emotional if you've played the game through.

Sep 17, 2002 at 11:42 AM Post #5 of 38
If you like Warp stuff you should try Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works vol. 2. It contains some of the most evocative music I know. In fact, some of the tracks are so powerfull I can hardly listen to it.

Sep 17, 2002 at 5:04 PM Post #7 of 38
Final Fantasy IV: Celtic Moon, Track 13: Illusionary World....violins...ahhhh.

Sep 17, 2002 at 5:43 PM Post #8 of 38
Quote:

gloco said...

Final Fantasy IV: Celtic Moon, Track 13: Illusionary World....violins...ahhhh.

From the same album, Track 2: The Prologue. To me, it has the most beautiful opening part of any FF track I've heard.

Sep 17, 2002 at 10:49 PM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by wab
If you like Warp stuff you should try Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works vol. 2. It contains some of the most evocative music I know. In fact, some of the tracks are so powerfull I can hardly listen to it.

Yep, that's one of my favorites. I would fall asleep to it if i had comfortable headphones.

Sep 18, 2002 at 6:53 AM Post #10 of 38
the love theme from FFIV... either played on piano solo by uematsu or as a string quartet with piano (otherwise known as a quintet... heh...
tongue.gif
)... i always get so emotional when i hear that stuff...

Sep 18, 2002 at 2:43 PM Post #11 of 38
KennyG's interpretation of AVE MARIA on saxophone...
KennyG's interpretation of SUMMERTIME on saxophone...

edit:...and please don't tell me it's "elevator music"
wink.gif

Sep 19, 2002 at 4:41 AM Post #12 of 38
"The Brazilian" by Genesis

"Mac Arthur Park" from The very best of Maynard Ferguson. Especially the sax solo.
"Marketplace" also by Maynard

"Andecy" by Andrew York found on the Windham Hill Records Guitar Sampler

"Waltz of the Flowers" -- Nutcracker -- Tchaikovsky

"Oxygene 3" by Jean Michael Jerre

"Ode to Joy"

"Imperial theme" and "Main theme" Star Wars
"Main theme to Jurrasic Park"
"Olympic Fanfare and Theme" -- John Williams

Sep 19, 2002 at 5:36 AM Post #13 of 38
big one of the moment is "suki suki pt 2" by sly and the family stone... maybe its because i like zoning out and imagining playing bass that well, or maybe i just like droping the tonearm and thinking "ah, its suki suki now"
smily_headphones1.gif

and then there's jimmy smith and wes montgomery's stuff (big thanks to BenG for his album recomendations).

best,
carlo.

Sep 19, 2002 at 5:50 AM Post #14 of 38
ah... james and wes... that is one (near) unbeatable duo...
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2002 at 2:52 PM Post #15 of 38
Anything by Arvo Part- especially Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten. Also Stravinsky's Duo Concertant (for violin and Piano)- the first movement: Dithryrambe. Another one is Samuel Barber's Adagio for String. And Schoenberg's Verklarte Nacht.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back