Emmeline XP-7 info
Nov 4, 2003 at 12:46 PM Post #16 of 24
Imagine my delight! After years of listening to music through the most terrible "shelf systems" and portable players/headphones imaginable, I just received my first amp, the XP-7, which feeds my also new SR325s. I couldn't be happier. Thanks, Todd, for shipping the amp so quickly! I'll give more impressions later.

Nov 4, 2003 at 3:44 PM Post #18 of 24
HI Everyone,

The Emmeline XP-7 will be shipping again to me in about 1 week. They are well worth the wait! Each amp is hand crafted by Ray himself and they are immaculately put together. Thus, they take some time to produce and the demand is very high for these amps. As soon as I receive them I will ship them out to those of you on back order.

Dimitri,

I'm glad to hear you are pleased with the amp - it truely is a fine way to listen to music!!!

Todd

Nov 4, 2003 at 4:00 PM Post #19 of 24
Another thing about every amp from Ray is that they are burned in for 100 hours before shipment. This allows you to fully enjoy them right out of the box. He also fully tests them after the burn in period to make sure everything is perfect.

Nov 4, 2003 at 4:10 PM Post #20 of 24
Hi mariowar,

I believe I placed the order Sunday, October 26th (9 days ago). I called Todd the Wednesday after ordering to find out when I should be expecting the amp. If I recall correctly, he said that Ray was in the process of making a batch of them; they would get to TTVJ in about 10 days or so. I was surprised and thrilled to come home to a package yesterday. 8 days total waiting. Impressive, considering these amps are hand-built. I was surprised and thrilled again when I discovered my recently obtained Plainview 9.6v batteries were charged straight out of the box. I did not want to wait 8-10 hours to crank up my XP-7!

Nov 4, 2003 at 4:48 PM Post #21 of 24
John, have you tested the amp using different headphones?

Dimitri, did you get your Plainviews from www.thomasdistributing.com? it says the are 9.6 volts, which it means that they are even better than regular alkalines (9 volts)??
See it's strange if you get AA nimh you can only get 1.2 volts instead of 1.5 volts (regular alkalines).........
I hope the plainviews will last as long as regular alkaline batteries. What I plan to do is to charge them every week...it would be more than enough. Keep in mind that they (NIMH) lose about 3% of the charge everyday even if they are not in use.

Nov 4, 2003 at 5:05 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by mariowar
John, have you tested the amp using different headphones?

I have listened to the XP-7 with a few different ones; HD-600 w/Cardas, Grado RS-1 & SR225, Sony MDR-CD3000; AKG: 401; Koss: Porta Pro and Etymotic 4S. It really does a great job with all of them. Ray used the HD-600, RS-1 and MDR-CD3000's to listen during the development phase to insure that the amp worked well with all different levels of headphone impedences.

Nov 4, 2003 at 7:51 PM Post #24 of 24
Hi mariowar,

Yes, I did get my Plainviews from Thomas Dist. I bought two overnight chargers from them as well. They claim that common alkaline 9 volt batteries never charge fully, reaching only 8.4 volts or so. Headfi members seemed to like Plainview NiMH batteries and I bought them mainly for this reason. I havn't had the amp long enough to judge battery life, but I have read claims of 30+ hrs with rechargeables.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back