Emmeline SR71-B vs iBasso PB2
Apr 20, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #32 of 76

Quote:
but I will say this : there are a lot more hardcore bassheads on this board than folk who are willing to *admit* to being hardcore bassheads, and I believe that Ray realised that a long time ago. More power to him.

I've been noticing that too from certain impressions people have on various equipment.

I'm a bass head, am I hardcore? I don't know. UE11 had perfect bass to me =D

Looks like I'll be more satisfied with a black bird huh. pfft.

Apr 20, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #33 of 76
... I suspect that either of these amps would make most of us very happy, but I will say this : there are a lot more hardcore bassheads on this board than folk who are willing to *admit* to being hardcore bassheads...

I'm coming to the same conclusion. To each their own, but it is important to consider this when weighing opinions on equipment for buying sight unheard...so to speak.

Apr 20, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #34 of 76

Quote:
how much more wolfen? 500 bucks more? =D

I don't know if it's $500 more...but enough that I lost interest in the PB-1 very quickly.  The SR71b has a better bass, body and fullness with no sacrifice in clarity or treble.  I'm also a long time fan of the Ray's house sound...so take that into account. 

Apr 20, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #35 of 76

Quote:
I don't understand this, why would people not want to admit to being bass heads, what's wrong with being a bass head, just because someone prefers more or better bass then the other does that mean their reviews should be taken any differently.
I love good deep bass and am a lunatic basshead but I also like some music without to much, basically there are certain tracks that are made to blow your head off and I love it and will use my 16's or SM3 with those and then there are those you just want to chill out to so I brung out my ES5's or 13's and find myself using the 13's most often now.
I'm loving the 71B over my PB2 but that with all my music and not just because it has more punch to it, sorry I don't make much sense but I'm not to good at explaining.
IMHO the 71B is the better amp and does everything better then the PB2 and not just the bass but on the other hand the 71B does cost nearly twice as much so the PB2 is certainly better value for money.

I didnt say there was anything *wrong* with being a hardcore basshead, simply that it colors one's perception of what 'bass impact' means. If I only listen to choral music recorded in 16th century churches, I'd be sure to tell you that at the start of a review - it in no way endangers my 'audiophile' status. Personally, I dont give a hoot about whether I'm considered an audiophile or a lollygagger, but some folk here take that very seriously.

Apr 20, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #36 of 76

Quote:
I don't understand this, why would people not want to admit to being bass heads, what's wrong with being a bass head, just because someone prefers more or better bass then the other does that mean their reviews should be taken any differently.

Sorry to go on about this, but I really have to take you up on that. I would definitely read a review differently if it came from a self-confessed basshead, particularly where there is any subjective description of the sound quality of a component. I put this in the same category as a review from someone who listens almost exclusively to electronica or Celtic folk - this is one reason why professional reviewers usually try to give listening impressions based on a broader range of music.

I'm not saying that you have to be Chief Reviewer at Stereophile, but the difficulty faced by any reviewer lies in trying to be objective - the more your personal tastes are skewed toward one end of the frequency spectrum, the more likely you are to view something as 'bass light' when 'neutral' may have been a better description. Read some of Mike's portable amp reviews over at Headfonia - he repeatedly makes it clear that his personal preference leans towards the RSA house sound - warmer and bassier (to his ears) than amps from people like iBasso. Skylab also admitted a fondness for Ray's amps, and many others have obviously voted with  their wallets - all I was saying in my earlier post is that manufacturers like Ray recognise that (slightly) warm and bassy isnt the mark of Satan that some high-end audio manufacturers (and reviewers) might have us believe.

estreeter

Apr 21, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #37 of 76
I see.. thats what you call a hardcore basshead. I don't think I know anyone who fits that description lol.

I love bass but like Parrots said, I hate it when Bass becomes uncontrolled and takes away from the mids and highs.

I guess you've got to look at a Reviewer's test tracks to figure out his biasness. Like if there was Benny Bennassi, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Athlete, Jeff Buckley. I guess its safe?

I think there's some kind of weird general consensus that if an individual favours bass he's and uncultured, unrefined caveman. And if he favours sparkly highs then hes Frasier Crane.

Bloody bollocks in my opinion.

May 15, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #39 of 76
Would like to know what the background (static) is like for anyone using either of these with sensitive IEMS.

Jun 3, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #40 of 76
WOW, I posted this long long time ago and already accumulated 4 pages.
Thanks for all the responses.

By the way, I bought RSA 71b, to be honest I don't know what to tell because to my ears I don't hear the differences with or without SR71b.

I let it burn for about 40 hours so far, should I burn it crazy 500+ hours to obtain the full potential ?

Jun 5, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #41 of 76
Brings back the memory of someone else's comments about people being underwhelmed when first using a amp.  But LCD2 needs a amp without a doubt.

I see from your sig you have the LCD2 balanced, so nothing but goodness there.  Are using high quality source?  Junk in = junk out after all.   Don't use a ipod phone jack but use a LOD or better yet balanced input from computer/better media source to DAC.

I wonder about how well the SR-71B can drive the LCD2 without a balanced source.  Question for Ray Samuels, that one.

I can clearly hear a improvement between the balanced source and LOD iPod source.  Also between lower resolution apple loss-less that are ipod compatible and best quality FLAC or apple loss-less.

Jun 5, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #42 of 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wonder about how well the SR-71B can drive the LCD2 without a balanced source.  Question for Ray Samuels, that one.

Dont know about Ray, but Skylab did a pretty good job of addressing that exact question in his 'Final Three' wrapup. From memory, the Triad Audio L3 came out on top single-ended, but he felt the SR-71B pulled ahead of both L3 and Stepdance when used in balanced mode. One man's opinion, but at least it was the opinion of someone who doesnt sell (his own) amps for a living.

Jun 6, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #43 of 76
Ya my setup consists of pretty much like this.

iPhone 4 with alac files ->
ALO 18 awg LOD cables ->
SR-71B ->
ALO 22 awg balanced cable ->
Audeze LCD 2

I emailed Ray and got a response from him that he is kindly going to evaluate my sr71b.

To be honest, I don't know if is my ear that cannot hear any differences when using setup like this.

I've got few pm messages from people using similar setup telling me there aren't significant improvement.

It could be any of iphone, alo cables, audeze headphone etc.. so really puzzled.. :frowning2:

Jun 6, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #44 of 76
I love bass but not when it's over done like Dr Dre headphone such that you lose significant mid and treble details.
On the other hand, Audeze lcd2 has very deep bass and still produces great mid and trebles.

That's why I picked lcd2, yes I am a bass lover and I admit it. :)

Nothing wrong with this right ? lol...

Jun 7, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #45 of 76
Just speculating here, but it could also be that the iPhone 4 doesn't have a true line out, so your SR71B is just accurately amplifying a poor iPhone 4 amped signal, in which case I wouldn't expect it to sound much different unless you were clipping the iPhone without the 71B.  Anyone?

And 50 hours is nowhere near what the probable break in time is.  I bought my Hornet used so I wouldn't know for sure, but just sayin'.

Quote:
Ya my setup consists of pretty much like this.

iPhone 4 with alac files ->
ALO 18 awg LOD cables ->
SR-71B ->
ALO 22 awg balanced cable ->
Audeze LCD 2

I emailed Ray and got a response from him that he is kindly going to evaluate my sr71b.

To be honest, I don't know if is my ear that cannot hear any differences when using setup like this.

I've got few pm messages from people using similar setup telling me there aren't significant improvement.

It could be any of iphone, alo cables, audeze headphone etc.. so really puzzled.. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back