EMM Labs Gear First Impressions
Jul 2, 2006 at 4:19 PM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
I wouldn't expect the DV-50 to keep up with the EMM gear. The DV-50, as nice as it is, is a bread and butter product for Esoteric. Plus it relies on their older DSD-PCM conversion technology. The P-03/D-03 is a completely different beast built strictly for audio with much more focus put on the ouput stages. It does not convert DSD-PCM and can even do a PCD-DSD up-conversion. It also uses the VDRS-Neo. While I would love t get the P-01/D-01 combo, I'm not shelliing out $50K for that privilege, so the P-03/D-3 combo is really my focus. I would consider the EMM gear if they built a 2 channel DAC w/o the preamp functions.

I have had the pleasure of auditioning a number of high end transport / DAC's this Spring. Of the brands you have mentioned I never had the chance to do a head to head comparison of EMM and Esoteric but I did audition a number of transport / DAC's in a several price ranges. I found the Esoteric X-01 and dCS P8i to be very similar with a slight preference to the X-01 on RBCD. For long term listening, I preferred the Weiss Jason/Medea to the EMM CDSD/DCC2 (not the Signature Edition) (which for some older recordings I found the high frequencies to be a bit "grating"). And at the ultra expensive end of the spectrum I preferred the Zanden transport and DAC (which has a colored but very musical and involving sound signature) to the dCS stack (which is a bit more clinical and precise). The dealer who allowed me to demo the Zanden combo and dCS stack also had the P-01/D-01 and said that it did not stand up to the other two and I therefore never had a chance to listen to it.

One brand that gets very little mention, probably because it's very hard to find is mbl. I thought their top of the line 1621A transport and 1611E DAC sounded better than either Zanden or dCS. By the way at these prices I do not miss SACD. RBCD sounds just as good if not better. I have also been told that mbl’s mid priced transport and DAC are very good and would recommend that you try to hear them if you are considering the P-03/D-03.

Lastly I would try not to get wrapped up in all of the techno jargon used to describe certain manufacturers' design methodologies. I suspect that there are about 20 design parameters that go into making a high quality digital front end and that you have to do at least 90% of them well to end up with a successful product. Focusing on a single feature like converting PCM to DSD, a low jitter measurement or a tube output stage is in my opinion meaningless if the other parameters are not done well. I was amazed with the variety of sound signatures I experienced in my search. Some differences were small but others were surprisingly large. And, as usual, there is no substitute for listening for yourself in your system to find a sound that suits your tastes.

Good luck in your search!

Jul 2, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidNY

Good luck in your search!

Thanks for the input. I'm limiting my choices to the Esoteric and Meitner b/c I really don't want to spend time auditioning multiple sources. I care more about the transport than the DAC, since I'll primarily be using the setup via digital out to my TACT gear. For those purposes, I feel there isn't much better than the VDRS-Neo. I'll use the analog out into the TACT gear for SACDs.

The only reason I mentioned the DSD to PCM conversion used in the older Esoteric gear is b/c I don't want to buy their old tecnology. I heard they will be discontinuing most of those products after their Limited Edition runs. I listened to many of their pieces (and owned the D-07) and have no problem with the sound. To be perfectly frank, when it comes to high end sources, I tend to look at construction. Because I use TACT gear in my 2.2. and 5.1 channel setups, digital connectivity is key for me. Analog ouput is also important, but I generally seek neutrality, as a simple redraw of a target curve can yield much mored dramatic differences than those that exist between sources. Also, when I level match, I tend to find that most quality, solid state sources sound the virtually the same. Nevertheless, I do like my source and look forward to adding some different eye/ear candy to the 2.2. rack. I want to move my Classe SACD2 to the headphone rig and may get rid of my G08.

Jul 11, 2006 at 12:40 PM Post #36 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
I saw on Audiogon that the older DAC6 has fans inside it. Does the DAC6e and DCC2 also have fans? How about the CDSD?

No fan in the DAC6e,it does run hot,older Dac6,s had fans.

Jul 11, 2006 at 1:13 PM Post #37 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons
No fan in the DAC6e,it does run hot,older Dac6,s had fans.

I thought the only difference between DAC6 and DAC6e is RCA outputs at the back, is something else different that is the reason for the extra heat?

Sep 29, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #38 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Well congrats. Can you take a pic of the insides?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Taken today:
http://photos.lam.ws/gallery/1942885/1/98534909

PS. I'm keeping my DAC1.

Sep 29, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #39 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniac
Yes, bozebuttons got to swap out his DAC6e for the DCC2 for a trial and found he preferred the DAC6e. This made me debate long and hard whether to get the DAC6e or the DCC2. But EMM Labs themselves insist that the DAC sections of both units are identical. And in the end, I strongly preferred the preamp feature of the DCC2 over the additional output channels of the DAC6e. Not to say that for whatever reason bozebuttons' DAC6e didn't outperform the DCC2 he got to audition. Could have been a quality control issue or perhaps a burn-in issue. Or something entirely else I can't even think of right now.

well you twisted my arm. i shall allow your humble source to power my Melos at the Fall NYC meet to challenge Bozebutton's EmmLabs/Maestrobator combo- we shall emerge victorious!
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 29, 2006 at 1:11 PM Post #40 of 42
Good pics Patrick. Could you tell me (since I never venture to take my cover off) what is it that causes the multi-glowing amber lights that show through the vent holes? If you know, which picture number is it in in your photo gallery?

Sep 29, 2006 at 2:18 PM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
Good pics Patrick. Could you tell me (since I never venture to take my cover off) what is it that causes the multi-glowing amber lights that show through the vent holes? If you know, which picture number is it in in your photo gallery?

Oops, I didn't take those picture, I just came across them in this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpo...4&postcount=69

Sep 29, 2006 at 2:41 PM Post #42 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
well you twisted my arm. i shall allow your humble source to power my Melos at the Fall NYC meet to challenge Bozebutton's EmmLabs/Maestrobator combo- we shall emerge victorious!
evil_smiley.gif

Oh I've long since sold my EMM Labs gear. Sadly. Still the best source I've ever heard. By a good margin. More sadness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back