Emm Labs CDSD/DCC2 combo with info on the differences between Dac6 and Dac6 "e"
Mar 18, 2007 at 5:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

tjkurita

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of getting a used CDSD/Dac6 combo on Audiogon. Do any Emm Labs experts know the difference between the Dac6 and the Dac6e? I'm not referring to the Signature Edition. But rather the standard incarnations of both.

Are there any sonic difference that can't be chalked up to burn-in time or cables or things like that? Does one have different in/outs or anything like that? Is there any difference at all?

Thanks in advance. I could call them, but that means waiting until Monday!

Mar 19, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #2 of 36
Answered!

For those who search this topic in the future: The Dac6 is the same as the Dac6e with the following differences: Dac6 is balanced-only. No single ended connectors. xlr-rca adaptors can be used without apparent sound degradation. Dac6 has cooling fans as it was originally designed for rack mounting. Dac6e is a shelf-mount unit, so the fans were removed.

Mar 20, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #4 of 36
Thanks Welly,

I've got a CDSD/DCC2 coming! So I will be selling my G08, Linn Genki and HP-1000 to recover about 70% of the cost. But once the Emm stuff is in my rack I will have completed my entire rig. It will all be over... Finally.

Oh wait... I will need some kind of computer as source set-up in the future. But the DCC2 will supply the DAC for whatever that is.

Mar 20, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #5 of 36
Please, stop lying to yourself. We will always upgrade to something else. It's in our nature as audiophiles.

Me, I plan on getting the STAX 007/SRM-727II from TTVJ next year. See?

Mar 20, 2007 at 6:59 AM Post #6 of 36
Uh, when it's all over, don't forget to invite us over for the mini meet
biggrin.gif

Best,

-Jason

Mar 20, 2007 at 7:01 AM Post #7 of 36
What he said!

Mar 20, 2007 at 7:14 AM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh, when it's all over, don't forget to invite us over for the mini meet
biggrin.gif

Best,

-Jason

Yes. I am thinking middle April or around the time of the National meet. The Rudi requirement does not apply anymore because I can't afford gear for a long time. In fact, I need to sell off all extraneous audio gear (including, possibly, a guitar! It's sad.). Ideally, I'd like to have some people over to advise me on speaker placement and cables. But we can still include some kind of HD6XX shootout.

And pizza. And SOTA digital!!!! Maybe some computer as source (if someone can bring a Transporter or Squeezebox).

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #9 of 36
I thought there would never be anything better than the EMM Labs CDSD/DCC2 SE with Aural Symphonics Glass Optical EMM cabling. Maybe there isn't. But maybe there is!

http://www.aplhifi.com/esoteric-product-page.htm

http://www.aplhifi.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=135

http://www.aplhifi.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=593

http://www.aplhifi.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=618

NWO 2.5 is an Esoteric UX-1 which is severely modified. In fact all that is used is the chassis and the VRDS transport. There were some pics of the insides somewhere that I can no longer find. Apparently the EMM Labs is considered to be the second best, with this unit 'besting' it by a large margin.

Anyway, it is a beast and one is being made for me right now
blink.gif
Takes 6 weeks for the mod to be completed.

I'll post pics one day!

Neil

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #10 of 36
Congrats on the meitner gear John, I'm sure you'll love it.

Ooh that is exciting Neil. APL stuff does look interesting and I look forward to hearing an opinion from a credible source. From what I can tell Alex Peychev's skill is surpassed only by his arrogance
rolleyes.gif
. I'm also very curious about the version of the NWO 2.5 w/ the squeezebox. Did you go for that?

That being said meitner is a realistic goal at 6k used, where as the apl stuff is stratospheric.

Mar 22, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #11 of 36
I am getting the 2.5T (new and even better design including new ball bearings on the VRDS transport as well for quieter operation). I am also getting the squeezbox/WIFI addon whe it becomes available, but as of now if it is not ready it will be inactive until the software is fully tested.

I have been talking to Alex and Brent today. They are indeed kind but a little arrogant for sure. I'm going over to Alex's this Sunday so I will get to see for myself, what the fuss is all about.

Neil

Mar 22, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #12 of 36
Thanks Akathriel!

Neilvg: That APL stuff seems pretty amazing. I think that one unit might be more expensive than my entire system, though! I've never seen one used.

The idea of integrating WiFi and computer as source with a SACD transport and DAC is brilliant. I wouldn't be surprised if all companies started doing this.

I'm certainly excited about integrating computer as source in my system at some point. I very much hope that the Emm labs DAC remains satisfying for a long time. As long as I don't listen to anything else, I think it will be. It was Tom's Emm Labs gear that made me start to think I wanted more from digital... Digital seems to be constantly improving.

Mar 22, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Akathriel!

Neilvg: That APL stuff seems pretty amazing. I think that one unit might be more expensive than my entire system, though! I've never seen one used.

The idea of integrating WiFi and computer as source with a SACD transport and DAC is brilliant. I wouldn't be surprised if all companies started doing this.

I'm certainly excited about integrating computer as source in my system at some point. I very much hope that the Emm labs DAC remains satisfying for a long time. As long as I don't listen to anything else, I think it will be. It was Tom's Emm Labs gear that made me start to think I wanted more from digital... Digital seems to be constantly improving.

Tj: I agree. The MBL 1611/1621 and the EMM Labs have redefined the way I listen to music, since the reproduction as compared to lesser sources, is not subtle in its differences. I have connected my computer to the DCC2 and it sounds good. In my opinion, most of what makes the EMM Labs gear special is in that DAC. The transport is nice since it will operate as a Slave to the DAC's Master Clock. But, I think with a good computer as source, which, I believe can do this as well, you'd be achieving something similar.

Once I get some more info on the APL stuff I will post it in an appropriate thread (sorry for the semi-thread jack). =)

Neil

Mar 27, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The source has arrived.

This is just absurd...

Congrats John,

Looking forward to hearing your impressions with the Blackie amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back