eminem getting air time on "rock stations"
Jul 3, 2002 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

blink180tone

Head-Fier
i am just curious if anyone has noticed eminem getting played on rock stations.

in both new york and connecticut i have found that eminem gets way too much air time on the "rock stations." is it becuse hes white?? i mean even a child couldnt confuse his style of music with rock. and if it is because hes white, why then i ask doesnt sevendust get air time on rap stations??

Jul 3, 2002 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by blink180tone
i am just curious if anyone has noticed eminem getting played on rock stations.

in both new york and connecticut i have found that eminem gets way too much air time on the "rock stations." is it becuse hes white?? i mean even a child couldnt confuse his style of music with rock. and if it is because hes white, why then i ask doesnt sevendust get air time on rap stations??

Because he is white?? I really think he is the only person making race an issue in his career.

It's like this... He get's airtime on those stations because the demographic that the station is targeting happens to listen to him. It's possible that they are listening to him because he is white or it's more likly that the dumb-**** record label's marketing pushins him in white suburbia because he is white. Regardless, it boils down to him drawing in listeners that the station's advertisers want.

The only color the advertisers, radio station and record label give two ****s about is green.

Jul 3, 2002 at 9:35 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Nezer
The only color the advertisers, radio station and record label give two ****s about is green.

good point. then i guess im stuck switching the station everytime he comes on.

Jul 4, 2002 at 3:28 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Or give-in and learn to like it. His new album isn't *that* bad. It starts off pretty well actually and shows some maturity on his part.

Jul 4, 2002 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 17
Ive heard him on rock stations too... crazy world :p

Biggie.

Jul 4, 2002 at 3:37 AM Post #6 of 17
One of the DJ's on KROQ (Los Angeles) was actively making fun of callers complaining about them playing Eminem on the station. KROQ is a 'new rock' station.

So long as the music mix is good and it fits with the flow of the other songs before and after it, I could care less about what genre a song is from.

Jul 4, 2002 at 4:04 AM Post #7 of 17
Personally I don't listen to corporate ******** radio. This great college station I listen to in Coloardo Springs one is as likely to hear Emenim as they are The Who, Bjork, Moby, Albert King, and a whole slew of stuff I guarantee you've never heard before in your life.

Some of the music is great, others aren't so great. What is nice is you jsut wait around for a few minutes and you'll really love what you hear.

Besides that station down in the Springs, I listen to either KUVO (www.kuvo.org) which is a GREAT jazz station that is also an NPR station, or an NPR news station on AM. All three stations I listen to are NPR affaliates. The down side is about every 3 weeks they have a fund-raising drive that lasts 2 weeks. I'm probably exagarating here, but not by that much.h

Jul 4, 2002 at 1:10 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

I've given up on rock radio stations. They are at an all-time low. The fact that they would add Eminem only proves this. I never listen to the radio at home and now I bring a CD if I want to listen to music in the car. Either that or seek out a jazz station or talk radio station.

Jul 4, 2002 at 5:02 PM Post #9 of 17
I've given up on the radio too. I only listen to an NPR station that also plays classical, one college station, and that is about it. Everything else plays garbage, sounds like its the same tape played over and over again (and is), has all mainstream copy-cat me-too artists, and finally the biggest offense: many shorten the songs by the only respectable and good artists they play, like Tool and NIN. Though it sells and makes money so I suppose, if I was an artist, record exec, or advertiser making cash off it, I wouldn't be complaining. Then again, I would feel morally corrupt and be a waste to society, but I'd have money and thats all that counts right?

Jul 4, 2002 at 5:15 PM Post #10 of 17
If I listen to the radio it is either the oldies or the classic rock stations. I usually don't listen to the radio because I hate comercials. I also don't watch much tv for the same reason. So I can honestly say that I have never heard eminem. I've read about him a bit, and none of it was good. Then again I read the conservative right wing stuff.

Jul 5, 2002 at 2:02 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Nezer

Heehee! That's pretty phuckin' funny... and true. Isn't eminem's 15 minutes up yet?

Jul 5, 2002 at 5:28 AM Post #12 of 17
a station in vancouver (CFOX) had a rather large thing with playing eminem...initially they wouldn't play it, but the demand from listeners was so great that they eventually gave in (although there still were many people oppsing the move).

just another example that radio stations are all about appealing to the masses, which leads to, inevitably, $$$.

Jul 6, 2002 at 6:53 AM Post #14 of 17
The thing that cracks me up about Eminem is that he makes fun of people like Britney Spears yet he is exactly the same as she is: they both make crappy music aimed at teens. The guy is such a hypocrite it makes me laugh. He is Top-40, just like N'Sync, Backdoor Boys, Pink...he tries to appear like he is some sort of badass when really he is just another crappy teen idol.

Jul 6, 2002 at 6:00 PM Post #15 of 17
The term "Rock station" has now become so loosly defined its a joke. In the south of england there are NO count them NO stations that play "rock" of any description...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back