elvis vs. the beatles
Jun 1, 2004 at 7:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

usc goose

Headphoneus Supremus
i'm voting for elvis. and 10 bonus points for naming from where this particular debate originated.

Jun 1, 2004 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 28
I prefer the Beatles' music, but Elvis defeated a mummy. Close call here...

Jun 1, 2004 at 10:13 PM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by usc goose
and 10 bonus points for naming from where this particular debate originated.

Aww crap...search is out, I can't cheat.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 1, 2004 at 10:24 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
Aww crap...search is out, I can't cheat.
smily_headphones1.gif

it's in a deleted scene from a movie actually.

Jun 1, 2004 at 10:40 PM Post #7 of 28
both of these bands are really good however, I don't really think about them all that much, but now I really want to know what movie that was from. I know I've seen it. I think I might even own it. For some reason I think jack black said it. (High Fidelity?)

I am probably way off though.

EDITED

Jun 1, 2004 at 11:12 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

I couldn't give a crap for either of these bands

Elvis is not a band, he's a singer who you should at least care enough to know that he has major responsibility for bringing rock to the white kids, without him, our whole culture musically might look very different today. The Beatles are also in every rock and roll song you will ever hear. These are facts whether or not you care for their music, artists you like dig 'em.
orphsmile.gif

Jun 1, 2004 at 11:32 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Elvis is not a band, he's a singer who you should at least care enough to know that he has major responsibility for bringing rock to the white kids, without him, our whole culture musically might look very different today. The Beatles are also in every rock and roll song you will ever hear. These are facts whether or not you care for their music, artists you like dig 'em.
orphsmile.gif

On a related note last Sunday I had to laugh (knowingly) as Homer Simpson in England said, "There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."

Jun 2, 2004 at 4:05 AM Post #10 of 28
Who did I vote for? Guess...
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2004 at 6:09 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
orphsmile.gif

I know who elvis is, please pardon my semantics.

I have no problem with either of these guys, they had fun music. I own many cds from both. What I don't like, is how revered they are for basically creating the whole "accessible music + sex appeal" formula that has ruined music today. They were lucky enough to be the first (not even really the first, as it was "black" music they were just white-a-sizing for the masses) and because of that they have been elevated from great musicians and performers to the "creators of all things music", for most modern critics.

I could write a dissertation about my theories on why so much of the white music world gets a woody everytime someone brings up the beatles but I don't feel like arguing with people about personal preferences.

I know they were first, I know because of that they influenced people, I know they had really good music. My point was that I don't really care at all about the millionth conversation about these two that already assumes they are the greatest thing music has and will ever see.

I do want to know what movie that quote was from, though.
/rant

Jun 2, 2004 at 6:43 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

What I don't like, is how revered they are for basically creating the whole "accessible music + sex appeal" formula that has ruined music today.

The Beatles with sex appeal? Not really. That's all Elvis. The Beatles at the start were all squeaky clean virginal boy band, Elvis with his pelvis and shaking hips was all "danger" and sex appeal triumphing over talent (sorry, just my opinion).

Look at how the Beatles advanced in such a short time; it's inspired a whole phrase: "Beatle years". As in, "this group progresses in Beatle years" which is quite a compliment. They went from "Do Ya Wanna Hold My Hand" to "Strawberry Fields Forever" in 4 years. 4 YEARS! That's an insane progression, and they were *vangaurds*, dragging the rest of the music industry kicking and screaming out of the "moon june spoon" era. They may have been "formulaic" at the start, but they expanded the possiblilities of pop music by leap years in the end. Quote:

I could write a dissertation about my theories on why so much of the white music world gets a woody everytime someone brings up the beatles but I don't feel like arguing with people about personal preferences.

Well, I certainly don't know of anyone who has argued that the Beatles or Elvis "invented" rock, but in the Beatles case, they certainly *expanded* what rock could be about, and influenced the sound of rock music forever. There is before the Beatles and after. This has nothing to do with skin color. Quote:

My point was that I don't really care at all about the millionth conversation about these two that already assumes they are the greatest thing music has and will ever see.

I agree that being "first" has had major advantages for the longevity of both the Beatles and Elvis. They were indeed lucky to get there first. But get there first they did, and influence everything that followed they definitely did. I don't think this thread is assuming they are the greatest thing rock music will ever be, God knows they aren't. I agree it's a sort of false dichotomy, not really a very useful question, but I guess it's all just in fun...
orphsmile.gif

Jun 2, 2004 at 6:53 PM Post #14 of 28
Elvis. As hard as it is to choose, he was first and influenced the Beatles, but they did a few good things too...
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #15 of 28
I agree with everything you said in your post, except for the beatles not starting with sex appeal. That clean cut look drove all the girls crazy, and if there is anything I have learned in my time, its that young teenage girls run the music industry.(ever wonder why boy bands, britney, and vanilla rock reign supreme?)

For on topic discussion, didn't the beatles say their biggest influence was elvis? So, if the biggest strength of the beatles is that they influenced everybody....

I do have a soft spot for the King.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back