Elvis Presley or James Brown: Cast Your Vote!!!
Jul 29, 2008 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
Haha, guess I'm gonna continue with my "cast your vote" series even though I've gotten some pretty funky responses regarding my choice of comparisons.

I feel with regards to Elvis versus James Brown its a very wonderful comparison, because both were so vastly influential. It's easy to see Elvis as the most dominant figure in the history of popular music (at least 20th century popular music), but lest not forget that James Brown played a pivotal role in both soul and funk music. Easily, James Brown is the Godfather of both genres. And both were spectacular showmen.

Have fun with this one.

Jul 29, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #2 of 26
I love the Godfather of Soul, but you have to go with the King. Elvis may have left the building, but before he did, he left his mark on 20th century music.
Have another Twinkie, baby.

Thankyouthankyouverymuch...
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by wareagle69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love the Godfather of Soul, but you have to go with the King. Elvis may have left the building, but before he did, he left his mark on 20th century music.
Have another Twinkie, baby.

Thankyouthankyouverymuch...
biggrin.gif

No real emotion involved for me with this one. Elvis and Little Richard would have been a more difficult choice. I would have chosen Elvis in both cases. Elvis Lives!

Jul 29, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #5 of 26
well i expect elvis to win here.....but I had to vote for James. First off, great electric bass playing begins on James Brown recordings. Second, come on.......funk and Rap is all james brown based. It all goes back to soulbrother no. 1. If you decipher the history of music down to its bare ingredients I actually think James Brown is more important by an exponential margin. Elvis had a more immediate impact though. I love them both.....but James means more to me.

Jul 29, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #6 of 26
Got to vote musically for the King
cool.gif

If the poll was for movies - then would never go for Elvis with all those silly screen features
eek.gif

..........now JB's appearances on the silver screen were something else
cool.gif

Jul 29, 2008 at 10:38 AM Post #7 of 26
Click track: Elvis, was a hero to most…Elvis, was a hero to most…Elvis, was a hero to most…but he ain't got nuthin' on James Brown.

Jul 29, 2008 at 12:00 PM Post #8 of 26
Elvis isn't even in the same league as James Brown as a musician and artist. Elvis was undeniably a great entertainer, but the same can easily be said of James Brown, he may not have had the popular impact of Elvis, but much of that is due to factors of race beyond his control. In terms of influence, James Brown had a profound impact, from those who followed him directly all the way to Hip-Hop, which built itself, especially in the mid-80s, on the back of James Brown's music.

Jul 29, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #10 of 26
Musically, definately James Brown. Possibly for influence as well, since he has had an effect on many genres. Now, I don't expect I would get along with him much on a personal level... but the same likely goes for the Chief.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back