Elvis Presley or James Brown: Cast Your Vote!!!
Aug 27, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxbaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i prefer james brown though elvis is more influential i think

I feel as though Elvis's influence dies out around the time The Beatles played Sullivan. He had a huge impact on people who lived from like 55-63. James Brown.......was influential (though in a smaller way) on that same generation....though a different audience, but James Brown's importance on an artistic level never died out...and is still relevant to music today.

I would say that Elvis Presley is the single most worshipped celebrity in the history of popular music (in America anyway)....but in terms of artistic influence, only The Beatles, Bob Dylan and Bob Marley really rival James Brown in everlasting impact.....that's what I think...I certainly could be wrong.

Aug 27, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #21 of 26
I love James Brown, he was hip, he was cool, he was innovative, so don't get wrong, but I'd be surprised if he would get more than about 20% of the vote if this same poll was run over at the Steve Hoffman forums. I could be wrong, but here's my thinking: We have a much younger crowd here at Head-Fi, and I think as the years pass, the appreciation for what Elvis managed to do in his career (and The Beatles as well) has diminished terribly, just in terms of the historical context of his/their contributions, whether you "liked" his/their music or not.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Again, taking nothing away from James Brown. I still listen to his stuff a lot, and he always gets the groove on, but he was no Elvis, IMO. To me, it would be like comparing The Beatles to The Rolling Stones. Again, taking nothing away from the Stones (and I truly do love their music, and listen to it even to this day, just like James Brown), but they weren't in the same league as The Beatles in terms of their cultural impact and the like.

Aug 27, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #22 of 26
Gotta go with the Godfather.

he was an innovator; Elvis was a popularizer.

Aug 28, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #23 of 26
had to go with james brown. didn't even have to think twice on this one. your other polls you did had me thinking for hours though. love some elvis songs but he is overrated. i see him more of an entertainer than a musician. i would never say the same of james brown.

Sep 16, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #25 of 26
Both are equal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back