Elvis Costello's "North"
Jun 12, 2004 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

goldenear

100+ Head-Fier
I haven't bought it cause the samples I heard from the album put me to sleep. Almost hypnotic music. Maybe I should give it a try again. It could be one of his works that needs to grow on you. I have heard good things about the sound quality and Deutsche Grammophon did have a big role in getting this CD produced.

Any Costello fans have this? Whatya think?

Jun 12, 2004 at 4:27 AM Post #2 of 5
It's certainly not one of my favorites. I bought it when it came out, spun it a couple of times, and it has gathered dust ever since. I'll give it another listen and let you know how it grabes me now, but your description of it was more or less my reaction. I've found with Costello, however, sometimes I don't quite get it at first. I've got most of his albulms and only a couple of them fail to inspire.

Jun 12, 2004 at 5:39 AM Post #3 of 5
It seems EC wanted to put 70% of the focus on his vocals with his "North" release. The other prominent instrument is the piano. I've heard that vocals with just a piano accompany is the hardest thing for a singer to master. With EC, especially with Grammophon on board, he would have to have it dead on befor ehe started this album.

The copy of "North" I had in my hand today had a DVD extra and it was priced at only $12 and change. That raised a red flag for me so I declined it.

Thanks for your reply.

Jun 12, 2004 at 1:37 PM Post #4 of 5
I think that Elvis looked at his new wife and thought "hey I can do that too"

Well in this case, no you can't. The album is boring and lifeless which is not something you usually say about his albums. From what I hear this album has not sold well either.

Well the bright spot may be that the last time this happened he came back with one of his best albums "Spike". Maybe he will do it again.

Jun 12, 2004 at 3:50 PM Post #5 of 5
He can do this kind of music when he's more focused, the songs have better structures, and he's working with Burt Bacharach, I thought Painted From Memory was great. This one, however.... yawn!
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back