1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Eloquence Label, What are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Music' started by omedon, Mar 28, 2006.
  1. omedon
    All right classical lovers. What are your opinions on the budget eloquence label? How do they compare to your favourite recordings? Are there any eloquence recordings you particularly like? Are there any that you found to be dogs? I am curious about recording quality as well as performance.

Thanks

2. PSmith08
    Isn't Eloquence the Deutsche Grammophon budget label? If so, then the label repackages recordings from the DGG catalogue. There are probably quite a few classics that have been amortized, so DGG can sell them cheaply. However, this is only my recollection.

3. Bunnyears Contributor
    Eloquence is a great label. It's actually an Australian division of Universal. It reissues great recordings from the Universal music group (includes London, Decca, DG, L'Oiseau Lyre, Philips, Polygram and others)that have gone out of print at great prices. It's a great way for many of us to acquire desired titles at budget prices.

Unfortunately, they are not widely distributed in the USA except for the occasional Arkivmusic special. For other titles you have to mail order from Buywell or other Australian vendors. You don't find them at Amazon either, which is a darn shame.

I only wish they sold them everywhere or that there was a simlar label for the USA.

4. omedon
    They are here in Canada. HMV has them, so did Virgin in Vancouver 'till HMV bought them out. They are also found in classical specialty stores like the Magic Flute.

That is why I ask. Anyways I am mostly curious if there are any standouts; recordings that can go toe to toe with most anything in your collection.

5. jagorev
    Eloquence has a couple of great recordings of the Bartok Concerto for Orchestra; the conductors are Mehta and Dorati.

6. FalconP
    Eloquence is the budget line from Universal Music Group. You can be sure that Universal, being a market-savvy major player, do something to prevent Eloquence's draining the revenue from their mid- and full- price lines:

1) Eloqueces releases come with NO sleeve notes.
    2) More importantly, Universal have mucked up the sound -- they called it "Ambience" something or another, and it sounds mushy. Eventually you'll be tempted to "upgrade" your favorite Eloquence recordings to their mid- and full-price equiv.

7. Bunnyears Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP
    Eloquence is the budget line from Universal Music Group. You can be sure that Universal, being a market-savvy major player, do something to prevent Eloquence's draining the revenue from their mid- and full- price lines:

1) Eloqueces releases come with NO sleeve notes.
    2) More importantly, Universal have mucked up the sound -- they called it "Ambience" something or another, and it sounds mushy. Eventually you'll be tempted to "upgrade" your favorite Eloquence recordings to their mid- and full-price equiv.

Although the liners are minimal, I haven't noticed a problem with the sound. They don't change the sound from the original releases but they aren't remastered for the Eloquence release. I have the cd of Les Talens Lyriques doing Couperin's Leçons de Tenebre on Eloquence and having heard the original (in a friend's collection) I can assure you that the sound is exactly the same. Similarly, the Beethoven Piano concerto cycle of Zubin Mehta and Radu Lupu is exactly the same as well. Some of the older releases don't have the best sound quality and would benefit from remastering, but they don't change the recording for Eloquence to a lesser quality for the re-release of the title. As I don't find that there is vital information in those liner notes, I don't miss them (with a few exceptions). When my friend compared his $22 + s&h purchase price (cd was an import he had to order from a German vendor because of its limited US distribution) with my $12 purchase price we both agreed that no booklet was worth the difference. Do not hesitate to get a title from the series unless it's not the greatest performance around. Just do your homework by checking out the recording at Gramophon and classicstoday, amazon and other online reviewers to make sure that it's a first rate interpretation. Btw, Classicstoday frequently reviews the Eloquence releases and they usually get extremely high ratings, both for sq and interpretation.

Here are links to the reviews of the original Decca release of Leçons and the Eloquence release. The reviewers at C/T couldn't discern any difference either.