Elemental Watson Class-A Valve/Mosfet Hybrid Headphone Amplifier (Review added)
Feb 19, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #61 of 333
Yeah passing 2 o'clock doesn't make any sense to me either. I was really impressed how much power this little amp has. So 2 o'clock would have blown my ears off... and I didn't hear any distortion. Wondering if something is up with your unit

Feb 19, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #62 of 333
Passing 2'oclock? That's really way too much volume... Have you used dac's line out output? Personally when pushing both hd600 and he400i, my volume is below 9 o'clock (around 7-8 o'clock).

Thank you for reply. 

Yes I have, both line out and RCA with the same result. Even with the easily driven X2s at 10 o'clock I get the distortion. With the HE500/Fostex anything below 11-12 o'clock theres barely any volume...

Feb 19, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #63 of 333
Yeah passing 2 o'clock doesn't make any sense to me either. I was really impressed how much power this little amp has. So 2 o'clock would have blown my ears off... and I didn't hear any distortion. Wondering if something is up with your unit

Thank you for commenting, maybe something is up with my unit yes. 

Ill give it more time to burn in and see if that makes a difference. It's still under the 1 year warranty so no issue sending it back for repair or a new one.

Feb 19, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #64 of 333
Thank you for commenting, maybe something is up with my unit yes. 

Ill give it more time to burn in and see if that makes a difference. It's still under the 1 year warranty so no issue sending it back for repair or a new one.

Yeah keep us posted. Learning this type of situational stuff helps me better help our customers

Feb 19, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #66 of 333

Thank you for reply. 

Yes I have, both line out and RCA with the same result. Even with the easily driven X2s at 10 o'clock I get the distortion. With the HE500/Fostex anything below 11-12 o'clock theres barely any volume...

I think you misunderstood,

What device are you using to plug in to the Watson, a DAC, iPod, Music player?

As with a true line level output device, you will never need to use volume past 2 o'clock, even with HE-500 9 o'clock is loud enough.

If you are using the headphone output of a phone, or standard iPod then yes you may need more volume.

I hope this provides a little more clarity, the RCA and line-in are the same, they are linked internally on this amp.

Feb 19, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #67 of 333

I think you misunderstood,

What device are you using to plug in to the Watson, a DAC, iPod, Music player?

As with a true line level output device, you will never need to use volume past 2 o'clock, even with HE-500 9 o'clock is loud enough.

If you are using the headphone output of a phone, or standard iPod then yes you may need more volume.

I hope this provides a little more clarity, the RCA and line-in are the same, they are linked internally on this amp.

Thank you for the clarification.

I'm using the iFi iDSD nano via RCA  (into the Watson) and that is plugged into my laptop (MacBook pro 13) via USB cable.

Feb 19, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #68 of 333
Thank you for the clarification.

I'm using the iFi iDSD nano via RCA  (into the Watson) and that is plugged into my laptop (MacBook pro 13) via USB cable.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/683406/ifi-audio-nano-idsd-discussion-impression/165
From this official idsd nano thread, I see very oddly idsd nano's volume knob does affect its rca port's volume (imho, this is a very serious design flaw, which stops idsd nano from working as a DAC). And it also creates the issue you just experienced.

Imo, idsd nano should not be used as a DAC. Because it does not have a line out port. Its RCA port is merely another jack port --- it's something serious design flawed, to provide the same amped voltage output as the jack port.

However, if you still want to use idsd nano as a dac, please try this method: Set Watson's volume to 9 oclock. Then gradually turn up idsd nano's volume, till you hear a normal volume sound. Then continue using nano's volume knob to further adjust the volume.

With all the above said, I would not recommend you to do so. Because this is not a very good use case. Even though it will not damage your devices, it will not sound good, leaving alone very good.

What I would truly recommend you to do, is to invest in some dac that has the line out function. Watson, just like any amp, needs a DAC that has at least one line-out port to shine.

Feb 20, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #71 of 333
http://www.head-fi.org/t/683406/ifi-audio-nano-idsd-discussion-impression/165
From this official idsd nano thread, I see very oddly idsd nano's volume knob does affect its rca port's volume (imho, this is a very serious design flaw, which stops idsd nano from working as a DAC). And it also creates the issue you just experienced.

Imo, idsd nano should not be used as a DAC. Because it does not have a line out port. Its RCA port is merely another jack port --- it's something serious design flawed, to provide the same amped voltage output as the jack port.

However, if you still want to use idsd nano as a dac, please try this method: Set Watson's volume to 9 oclock. Then gradually turn up idsd nano's volume, till you hear a normal volume sound. Then continue using nano's volume knob to further adjust the volume.

With all the above said, I would not recommend you to do so. Because this is not a very good use case. Even though it will not damage your devices, it will not sound good, leaving alone very good.

What I would truly recommend you to do, is to invest in some dac that has the line out function. Watson, just like any amp, needs a DAC that has at least one line-out port to shine.

Wow, great insight. Thank you for the link. 

Ill give your suggestion a try later on. 

I do have a ifi iDSD micro, but thats being repaired now. Officially its stated that it has >2V from the RCA outputs and hopefully that will sort things out. It also has a 'Direct or Pre-amp' mode for to use it just as a DAC. Hopefully ill get different results when trying it with that. 

I am in the market of another dac though, whilst the wallet is happy :p. I'm between getting the Mojo or the new Fiio X5 iii as that supports asynchronous USB.

If you don't mind me asking, what DAC are you using? 

Again, thank you for taking the time to find and post the link.

Feb 20, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #72 of 333
i apologize in advance for the off-topic but i need to buy some RCA cables for my elemental watson and considering that is the first time for me, i need an advice on ebay i found this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/391581898955?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT , what do u guys think ? Then i Found some other RCAcables brand Origin 75ohm but much more expensive, i need something decent not the best and at the lowest price possible. Any help is appreciated... 

Feb 20, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #73 of 333
  i apologize in advance for the off-topic but i need to buy some RCA cables for my elemental watson and considering that is the first time for me, i need an advice on ebay i found this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/391581898955?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT , what do u guys think ? Then i Found some other RCAcables brand Origin 75ohm but much more expensive, i need something decent not the best and at the lowest price possible. Any help is appreciated... 

Hi Grig, 

I dont have much experience with cables but in my opinion a good cable does affect the sound quality. Some say it's a myth.. I guess it's down to your ears in the end of the day. 

If you can find any Mogami cables with either Neutrik or Phalics terminations you should be a happy chap.

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #74 of 333
Wow, great insight. Thank you for the link. 

Ill give your suggestion a try later on. 

I do have a ifi iDSD micro, but thats being repaired now. Officially its stated that it has >2V from the RCA outputs and hopefully that will sort things out. It also has a 'Direct or Pre-amp' mode for to use it just as a DAC. Hopefully ill get different results when trying it with that. 

I am in the market of another dac though, whilst the wallet is happy :p. I'm between getting the Mojo or the new Fiio X5 iii as that supports asynchronous USB.

If you don't mind me asking, what DAC are you using? 

Again, thank you for taking the time to find and post the link.

That's good to know! I hope nano under direct mode will bypass the amp part, to provide a clean 2v signal.

I'm using Chord Mojo at my working place. The sound quality is superb for its price or size. The only complaint I've got is the soundstage being relatively smaller than what HD600 can truly deliver, especially after comparing it to a desktop dac (but everything else is quite good).

I'm also using COS H1 dac at my home. This DAC pushes HD600 to a even better. The sound is seducive wih very wide and large soundstage.

Nevertheless, Mojo is definitely still a very good portable + semi-desktop use dac, likely the best under $500. So I'm currently waiting for upgrading it to Chord Hugo 2, because I'm quite satisfied with it.

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #75 of 333

Wireworld iWorld RCA cable has good performance for its price. And Wireworld Pulse RCA cable is even better, but also more expensive. It might be a great choice to start your searching/comparison from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back