Price
Shipping Destinations
United States
post-14800707
Post #1 of 1

greg788

Head-Fier
Reaction score
I recently built this after buying a pair of open baffle crossover-less high efficiency speakers as an experiment. This is probably the best sounding TU-8200 on the planet. Call it a DX-cubed. With the exception of the one original 180uF snap in Nichicon VY, EVERY electrolytic is either an Audio Note standard grade or Kaisei grade, or an Elna Silmic 2. The linestage is a 50-50 mix of NOS Rikens and Amrans REX carbon films. The remainder of the resistors is almost all REX, with a few PRP and Kiwame mixed in. The coupling caps are Amtrans AMCO, which sounded best of the 3-4 caps I tried in this circuit. The feedback caps are Amtrans AMCH copper film/foil, which sound amazing in this circuit (much preferable to Relcap RTE tinfoil/polystyrene). The goal of my parts selection was to create the smoothest, most natural and "human" sound possible. I think I achieved it. It's very "fast" yet more transparent and resolving than my Naim NAC72/Hicap/NAP150x, honestly. Of course it sounded fabulous with my HD650 as well. I'd say this amp is easily in the top 10%, maybe top 5% of all headphone amps out there.

I'm an experienced builder and this kit is near bullet-proof regardless. I will include a matched pair of NOS late 50s RCA gray plate 12AU7, New Sensor Mullard EL34 and Tung Sol 6L6GC (all of which have <10 hours on them). Original EH and Shuguang tubes also included, un-used. Between the passive parts and extra tubes, I'd say there is easily an extra $300 in this amp, and I put 12 hours of build time into it.
IMG_1573.JPG

Reason for sale: I want to build something even more exotic now and I'm not a collector. Everything is included (stickers I didn't use, etc.). It's currently hardwired in ultralinear, which sounded best to me. I can desolder the jumper wire and put in the original jumpers if you want to experiment between triode, UL and pentode.

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)