Elekit TU-8200 DX Headphone/Speaker Amp Review
Dec 27, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #976 of 1,441
I've stopped listening to mine since I have the crackle I don't know how to troubleshoot. It's not a tube since swapping L < > R on all tubes had no effect.

Dec 28, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #978 of 1,441
TU8200 is amazing. It is compact, it is versatile and it sounds really great! And also it is affordable. The base kit should cost more considering what's included and the quality. Yes, it stops being so affordable when all possible upgrades are applied to it. But it is one amazing amp, which is why I bought two kits for myself. It won't last forever, grab it while you can.

I spent some time with TU8340 with Lundahl transformers that Victor was kind enough to loan me to test it with my new big speakers. Then I hooked up TU8200 in parallel also known as "monoblock configuration" (notice- this is neither supported nor recommended by the manufacturer, so don't try this unless you are prepared to face the consequences on your own). And TU8200 with TT21 tubes sounded definitively better to my ears than TU8340 driving a large floor standing speaker. Yes, my TU8200 is probably the most upgraded unit out there (including larger power transformer), but still it fits in the same compact case. TU8340 is huge and heavy, a really well built amp and those Lundahls are great too. So for TU8200 to sound better while driving massive speaker it is amazing!

So yes, this is an amazing amp, that does not stop pleasuring my ears. And I built it myself, that gives me pleasure too! I listen to it every day when I get a chance, sometimes for 8+ hours per day. It is great. And so is TU8500 preamp including its phono section. Listening to this combo right now...

Oh and by the way, this thing will still be awesome long after the latest iPhone turns into obsolete garbage...

phono.jpg

Dec 28, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #979 of 1,441
there are only reasons
1. bad tube set or
2. bad soldering points

if it is not the issue from tube set, please check all your soldering points

Not being someone whom has done a lot of critical electronic soldering this check is done how? Am I to just re-flow all the connections?

Dec 29, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #981 of 1,441
@Dimu, you are a true madman! Absolutely amazing what you have been able to do with your 8200(s) over the years... really a testament to the versatility of this little amplifier and what can be accomplished.

If anyone is concerned about the 8200 not being able to get them where they want to be ultimately, all you have to do is look at all the tweaks @Dimu has done, really shows that almost anything is possible with this amp and the truly great sound that can be achieved!

:beerchug:

Jan 1, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #982 of 1,441
Spent last two hours fully disassembling the unit, and used my loupes and couldn't visibly see any bad contacts. Re-flowed all the solder and the crackle has gone!

Thanks so much! No clue which one it was...

It's probably my imagination but sounds more powerful, but could be from not listening to it.

Jan 1, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #985 of 1,441
Spent last two hours fully disassembling the unit, and used my loupes and couldn't visibly see any bad contacts. Re-flowed all the solder and the crackle has gone!

Thanks so much! No clue which one it was...

Did you use lead-free solder? That stuff is crappy- high melting point and good chance to get cold joints if you are not careful giving each connection point some extra heat time. And overheating components and traces is not healthy. I always use lead, and for Elekit assembly I used lead with silver alloy.

Jan 2, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #988 of 1,441
Did you use lead-free solder? That stuff is crappy- high melting point and good chance to get cold joints if you are not careful giving each connection point some extra heat time. And overheating components and traces is not healthy. I always use lead, and for Elekit assembly I used lead with silver alloy.

I used Kester and a Hakko FX888D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back