Elekit TU-8200 DX Headphone/Speaker Amp Review
Apr 5, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #451 of 1,441
I have been using the grace design M920 as DAC and mainly the HD800s or HD600.

I think I have a rpoblem w/ my 8200 now-  I am getting distortion at reasonable listening levels happening w/ both the 6L6 stock tubes and EL34.

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #453 of 1,441
I'd love to comment but realize I am probably not hearing the 8200 as it should be.  I may have to write to Victor to see what may be causing the distortion I am hearing.

If the distortion was not there I feel like the sound would be really quite good.

Apr 5, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #454 of 1,441
I had a Stereomour too and loved it. Didn't have it concurrently with the TU-8200, so I can't make a comparison. I don't know if the power difference will be too noticeable, another couple decibels maybe. With the Stereoumour I had used Diy Sound Group horns, but it did run out of power with standard bookshelves. The TU-8200 does pretty well with my Carreras, but I'm in the process of building a DCPP for the extra power.

I will say that the headphone out is an awesome feature and the wide choice of tubes is really nice. It's close to an end game headphone amp for me. As soon as KT-88 in triode gets old I can just switch back to EL-34 in ultra linear for something a little different.

I love the bass from the 2a3 and would hope the tubes in the TU8200 can dig as deep. Id love a 300B amp but the price jump is more than I'd like to spend.

I'm not much of a headphone listener these days so I'm mostly considering an amp for my Blumenstein Triton speakers which are rated at 92db.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Apr 9, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #455 of 1,441
SuperDuke, any progress in determining what is causing the distortion you're hearing?  Do you happen to have tubes, other than stock, to try?  Sometimes a single tube can cause noise/distortion for various reasons.

I hope you've been able get it back to working correctly, with Victor's help or on your own, but let us know if you need any help...

Apr 9, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #456 of 1,441
Thanks for checking in.  Victor has been very generous in offering to talk on the phone - I've just been busy w/ family and work.  In the meantime I determined the distortion is in the R channel only and is there w/ stock 6L6s or new EL34s and also is present w/ different driver tubes, headphones and also w/ all modes - UL, Triode and Pentode.  So I think it is definitely the amp. I will try to get in touch w/ Victor next week. 

Maybe it's a bad solder joint??

Apr 10, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #457 of 1,441
My Tu8200 is fixed!  Big thanks to a fellow HeadFI member (Mourip) who helped me out.  I'm a bit ashamed to say but I forgot to solder one transisitor.  Well - this is a hobby after all and I have no background in electronics.  

All is working perfectly, quiet no hum or anything and WOW this amp is very powerful!  Having the Grace Design as a DAC is nice b/c I can dial down the input depending on which headphones I am using.  The HD800S has bass that I feel in my body and the HD600 is amazing as well.

The big surprise is the 8200 does not break a sweat driving the HE6 from the headphone jack.  I've not tried the speaker taps yet.    

I have the Mullard re-issue EL34s that I got for $37 along w/ NOS Tungsram driver tubes - could not be happier.   In Triode mode the EL34 has very satisfying base for me.

Apr 11, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #458 of 1,441
Glad to hear everything is well and that you're up and running once again!

I also agree about the power of the unit... it is crazy!  My other two amps are pretty powerful as well and I really never go above 9 o'clock on them with any headphones; however, I do have a friend that likes to push speakers/headphones hard and likes his music very loud, so he has gone past 12 o'clock on all my other amps before.  For these stated reasons, I won't let him try the Elekit, just because I'm worried he'll blow or damage something by pushing the dial up too far...  he's one crazy guy!

I'm glad that they also work well with the HE6s!  Seeing how difficult it is to drive those, I'm glad the Elekit will work for you for this purpose... with the ohm range from 8 to 1,000 on the unit as well as being able to correctly power the HE6, I'm wondering if there are really any mainstream headphones out there that it won't run!  If you ever get to trying the speaker outs on the HE6s, let us all know if you notice any difference in sound/signal.

beerchug.gif

Apr 11, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #459 of 1,441
Also glad you got things straightened out. There are not a few solder joints on that board.

I like the idea of a DAC that you can dial back. I have to turn it down inside the player to even be able to get the volume to 9 o'clock. It's my one nitpick as a headphone only amp, but there is only so little power a KT88 can make.

Also good to hear the 800S pairs well, I'm saving for that now, I think an 800S and a 650 will be all the headphone I'm interested in for a long time.

Apr 12, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #460 of 1,441
Last PM I tried the 8200 as a speaker amp w/ my Spatial Audio Open baffle speakers.  They are 90 something db efficient so I expected the 8200 would have no trouble driving them.  What I did'nt expect was the level of dynamics and midrange presence and depth of stage I heard.  With the EL34s there was a sweet midrange that I've only heard in vintage gear but w/ dynamics and clarity I've never heard from these speakers.  With vocals and cello (Ben Solee -learning to Bend) it simply sounded like he was in my room.

Hopefully my NOS RCA 6L6s will arrive this week.

Apr 14, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #461 of 1,441
Update on the TU 8200 and HE6 - I was using the speaker taps to drive the HE6 via the HiFiman adaptor which is simply a box w/ resistors in it and XLR connection.

I noticed the sound was good and there was plenty of headroom (more so than when driven from the phono jack) however I felt I'd lost some detail.   When I swithced back to the phono jack I heard better detail and still w/ lots of headroom.  Perhaps the resistors used in the 8200 phono out match better than the ones in the HIFiman adaptor.

I think the HE6 is 83db (about 50Ohms) and even driven from the phono jack I don't get past 12 O'clock on the volume pot.
I can't think of a less efficient headphone though the K1000 is 120Ohm and about the same efficiency (I don't have those anymore so can't compare).  It seems the 8200 could drive most any headphone well. 

Apr 14, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #462 of 1,441
What do you guys think for pairing with the 8200: Music Direct has refurbished HD800 for $999 with a 2 year Sennheiser warranty. HD800S is at $1700. I plan on keeping the 650's for the smooth and darker sound. I don't like modding phones. I'm leaning toward original 800 for the price, but looking at my potential end game. I've heard the 800 briefly and really liked them.

Apr 14, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #463 of 1,441
It's been awhiIe since I owned the HD800. I did compare it to the HD800S at a recent meet and preferred the 800S for what I thought was a more balanced sound w/ extended bass compared to the HD800.

Might be worth your while to look at the Inner Fidelity review of the HD800 and HD800S on youtube.  Tyl preferred the HD800 with relatively simple mods but w/o mods liked the HD800S.

Apr 14, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #464 of 1,441
What do you guys think for pairing with the 8200: Music Direct has refurbished HD800 for $999 with a 2 year Sennheiser warranty. HD800S is at $1700. I plan on keeping the 650's for the smooth and darker sound. I don't like modding phones. I'm leaning toward original 800 for the price, but looking at my potential end game. I've heard the 800 briefly and really liked them.

New HD800 for $1080 on Amazon right now. My HD800 arrived yesterday, and the TU-8200DX drives them very nicely. I plan to add the "Super Dupont" mod, which is on the way from France as we speak.

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #465 of 1,441
Have my NOS RCA 6L6 tubes and they are nice.  A bit thin in triode mode though. Not dark at all w/ lots of detail and nice bass in UL mode.  I can say that for $37 on ebay and w/ the quality of sound I am getting from them the re-issue Mullard El34 is a hec of a good deal!  The HE6 just sounds excellent from the TU-8200.  They like lots of power and they are getting it from the phono jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back