Electrostatic headphones
Aug 9, 2020 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MStager

New Head-Fier
I came across this website and one item I found interesting was this pair of Koss ESR 9 electrostatic headphones previously owned by drummer Mitch Mitchell.

https://bid.gwsauctions.com/auction...perience-mitch-mitchell-koss-headphones-7369/

I haven't seen any electrostats in many years. I think they could be great sounding cans but it seems the technology never caught on. Are there any I missed? Anybody making them now?

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #3 of 7
I came across this website and one item I found interesting was this pair of Koss ESR 9 electrostatic headphones previously owned by drummer Mitch Mitchell.

https://bid.gwsauctions.com/auction...perience-mitch-mitchell-koss-headphones-7369/

I haven't seen any electrostats in many years. I think they could be great sounding cans but it seems the technology never caught on. Are there any I missed? Anybody making them now?

For the most part estats haven't caught on in the US in the low (too expensive to make) end and middle end (Stax seen as flimsy) but overriding that is the need for a special amp ($1500 - $7500) and lack of basshead bass. In Japan Stax are very popular in mid/high end. In US estates have a good foothold in the high end. But ribbons and hedds may cut into that. Planers and dynamics will vie as well.

Aug 10, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #4 of 7
Yeah getting good used amps from yahoo japan auctions help save money..

Also dondt forget stuff like the Kaldas Research RR1! I got it and it has some really nice bass together with a used srm-t1 from the 80s with new NOS toshiba tubes.
Its not just plug and play like you are used to. für 500 dollarbucks its really a great estat.

honestly i prefer my akg k340...

Aug 11, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #5 of 7
Good post above with good reference. The estat world is very finicky, unlike headphones that you can get away with mid tier stuff, in estat is kinda a waste... It's what I been learning and a good friend just pointed this out to me. With that said I just bought the Hive estas headphones as entry level and so far I am very pleased, specially at the Lowe end fr. I am now looking to move up to ether 009 or DCA.

Aug 13, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #6 of 7
For the most part estats haven't caught on in the US in the low (too expensive to make) end and middle end (Stax seen as flimsy) but overriding that is the need for a special amp ($1500 - $7500) and lack of basshead bass. In Japan Stax are very popular in mid/high end. In US estates have a good foothold in the high end. But ribbons and hedds may cut into that. Planers and dynamics will vie as well.

Considering the claim that there is a "need for a special amp ($1500 - $7500)" I'd like to add, that there are at least 3 stax amplifiers from stax itself which can be bought NEW for less than 1500$ and that there are also converters like the WEE from Woo Audio or other brands that are much cheaper ... also buying used may be an option. I bought my first little stax amp for a mere 150$ ...

Considering the "filmsy"-part I'd love to put my stax headphones (some over 20 years old) next to a bunch of other same old headphones and see how they compare :)

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #7 of 7
Considering the claim that there is a "need for a special amp ($1500 - $7500)" I'd like to add, that there are at least 3 stax amplifiers from stax itself which can be bought NEW for less than 1500$ and that there are also converters like the WEE from Woo Audio or other brands that are much cheaper ... also buying used may be an option. I bought my first little stax amp for a mere 150$ ...

Considering the "filmsy"-part I'd love to put my stax headphones (some over 20 years old) next to a bunch of other same old headphones and see how they compare :)

1. I've heard the 353X, it's dreadful on the 007 or Voce. I heard a converter too. Meh.

2. Stax are certainly more solid feeling than the old 303 I had. But reputations persist and that goes right to the heart of the point. I am talking perceptions in the marketplace. I'm sure your Stax collection is a delight, but you do not on your own make up the US marketplace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back