electrostat noob here..get me into buisness!
Dec 18, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by plaidplatypus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like bass heavy headphones JVC's DX1000 are great, they are much better than Sennheiser's headphones, and sound like what you want. I would put off buying an electrostatic system until you have been to a CanJam because between amps and earspeakers the sound can very quite a bit.

yeah..I hope i can attend to canjam sometime. ofcourse,I will not buy anything until i hear electrostat rig for myself.
about the bass issue, I just wondered if electrostat are like dynamic headphone regarding the sound signature selection you have in the dynamic world. from grado sound to JVC and DENON bass driven sound...or maybe they all sound pretty much the same? If they supposed to be accurate than they can't have a denon sound signature...right?

by the way, lately I really enjoy my HD650 which are pretty balanced sounding for me( with just a tiny bass "heaviness") with my headroom rig. (I finally grew on them blackmore...)
I wonder hoe much better are electrostats comparing?

Dec 18, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #17 of 29
Yes, you are right, you have to start with source and amp, like in any other system, stats demanding their own. And no, I am afraid you will not be able to get much "fun" from USD 1500 stats system.
I would suggest to look at SR404, of course used, BUT you have to invest in something like GES Woo amp, with the right tubes only, at least, and you will be pleased, sure thing, but for how long its a huge question. To me, if I ever would concider stats, OII would be the only one to take a look at. Another one, which I never tried, are OI, which seems to be a very good one, for some even better than OII.
You may be more happier/safer with HD800 and Lehnmann Black Cube amp, used you can get them within USD 2000
SoundStage! Equipment Review - Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear Headphone Amplifier (2/2005)

Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks. so I assume that I can get a bass heavy sound out of electrostats with the right equipment? but are the headphones as they are, assuming I have a flat sounding amp and dac, will sound like that?
what stax headphone and amp would you advise me to start with, if i am looking for a warm and fun sound? also, can you think I can set up a nice beginner system with about 1500$ or so? (preference for less if possible
wink.gif
)

Dec 19, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

thanks. I hope i will be able to have a listen to stax. do electrostats (stax for that matter) have bass like dynamic headphones? I mean..do you feel the punch (the diaphragm moving) like you feel with dynamic?
from all the reviews it sound like electrostats are kind of accurate and flat sounding (HD800 like) and I wonder if electrostats can be bass heavy and "fun" sounding (D5000 like) ?

I find that the STAX O2 and 404LE have excellent bass and never leave me wanting more. One reason I like the 404LE is that they have a little more impact in the bass and a tiny bit more overall extension than the O2 models. The O2 is the better can but I pull out the 404LE when I have well recorded music or something that requires a bit more growl on the bottom.

The HE60 is very weak in the bass but when modded to run off a STAX amp, this changes and the bass gets to a level that I can live with. It is still nothing like a STAX unit but it is there. I like the HE60 for Jazz and Classical. The HE90 is more of the everything that the HE60 does so well...more detail, more air, more spaciousness, and more bass but still not like a STAX O2 or 404LE. Unlike the HE60's companion amp (HEV70), the HEV70 that comes with the HE90 in the Orpheus package is a wonderful amp.

Dec 19, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find that the STAX O2 and 404LE have excellent bass and never leave me wanting more. One reason I like the 404LE is that they have a little more impact in the bass and a tiny bit more overall extension than the O2 models. The O2 is the better can but I pull out the 404LE when I have well recorded music or something that requires a bit more growl on the bottom.

The HE60 is very weak in the bass but when modded to run off a STAX amp, this changes and the bass gets to a level that I can live with. It is still nothing like a STAX unit but it is there. I like the HE60 for Jazz and Classical. The HE90 is more of the everything that the HE60 does so well...more detail, more air, more spaciousness, and more bass but still not like a STAX O2 or 404LE. Unlike the HE60's companion amp (HEV70), the HEV70 that comes with the HE90 in the Orpheus package is a wonderful amp.

sounds like I need to try O2 or 404LE first.

Dec 19, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think the real question is are elctrostatics that much better than dynamic headphones that they justify a whole different rig just for them

that is definitely the big question. i hope i will find out someday.

Dec 20, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

thanks a lot for the info. so..they are all from the same company? are there other companies who make electrostatic headphones and amps?
how are the sennheiser's models (HE90/HE60)?

I own both. HE60 is a superb headphone with intrinsic electrostat qualities. I owned 007 (mk I) for a while, didn't like it's coloration and music presentation, too dark for me.

Wish Sennheiser produce electrostat headphones again, what are waste to let this technology go.

Dec 20, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think the real question is are elctrostatics that much better than dynamic headphones that they justify a whole different rig just for them

i think the real question is are dynamics that much worse than elctrostatic headphones that they justify a whole different rig just for them

Dec 20, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #25 of 29
Tomāto Tomäto
happy_face1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think the real question is are dynamics that much worse than elctrostatic headphones that they justify a whole different rig just for them

Dec 21, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

I completely agree !

Dec 21, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Hi all. i am totally a noob in other headphone types other than dynamic.
I can't ignore all the good things that are said about electrostats in these forums, so I want you to help me to gether some information.

I am definitely didn't finish my search for the "Best" sound,and lately was interested on the HD800 or the PS1000 as an serious upgrades from what i have. but the stats is just so praised around here and I want to know what all the fuss is about. and with the price of the PS1000 i can maybe get a nice electrostat rig, at least for a start.
so let's start with my first question:
please give me some stat's brands that are considered of mid to high level:
like the HD650,D5000 , D7000,HD800 in dynamic.
i also want to know what betwwen those, has warm and bassy sound like the HD650 or the D5000...I like bass very much.
what amp will you recommend to start with?
thank you!

The planar sound is pretty addicting.. I'm sure electro's are even more so.. I just have too much invested in dynamic headphones & amps to splurge on Electro's.. I would like the Studio monitor 4070 though..

Dec 21, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

When does personal preference come into play?

Dec 21, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #29 of 29
I like the 4070 very interesting concept, but I still prefer my K702. Some times the speed of the 4070 make them to sounds unnatural and thin to my ears.
lol, Some of the frequencies sounds like Ninja shuriken....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back