Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.)
Feb 15, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #4,411 of 6,987

Arguably the best Drum And Bass record ever.

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #4,413 of 6,987
Quote:
Quote:

Arguably the best Drum And Bass record ever.

lol. thats VERY arguable... its a good track ep, i liked it, but the best? i think thats a little too subjective wouldnt you say?

Entirely too subjective, but this is a masterpiece... I'm having a hard time thinking of another record that's as hauntingly beautiful as this..... And especially for it's time. 
Maybe I'll rephrase... Best EARLY Drum and Bass record. I can't think of any other record from pre 2005 that's so beautiful, enigmatic, and executed with such grace as Timeless. Goldie might look pretty hard around the edges, but this was a huge release for it's time.
Essential drum and bass imo.

Feb 16, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #4,414 of 6,987
I dunno mang skynet, tech itch, usual suspects, loxy and ink, bad company, ed rush and optical, roni size and crew, jmajic. D&B was just hitting it's stride right then imo. Just discovered this thred. This is friggin sweet. What are some of your guys favorite headphones?

Feb 16, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #4,415 of 6,987
Quote:

Now that you mention it, one of the biggest dnb promoters in Toronto announced TWO live dnb acts three weeks apart from one another. This is huge, and it's right on the heels of Bass Week here in Toronto too....
I missed Dirtyphonics Live when they came last year.... And to be honest, kinda thought that tracks was a little cheesy with the metal.... I dunno.... I used to be the biggest metalhead shaming anythng that wasn't played on guitars and drums, and it had to be the most notes per second played, with as little repetitive beats as possible but now I find metal influence in EDM has to be done tastefully, and imo, I don't think Dirtyphonics pulled it off with that one. 

ANYWAYS.... There's lots goin on for Drum and Bass (and a bit of dubstep) in Toronto at the end of March. It's gonna be epic. Netsky LIVE, and Dirtyphonics LIVE is a nice treat too. The end of last year Destiny was kind of getting a bad rep within the passionate dnb scene here in Toronto..... Well this looks like it's gonna make up for it. 

The Flyers:

The only differences here are that Projek: Hospitality (23rd) has S.P.Y added to the line up, and on the 28th, it's Nicky Blackmarket b2b Marcus Visionary (local legend, whom also tours the UK periodically). If it's not already obvious, Toronto's passion and love for dnb is second only the the UK imo, and I love it.

Mr. Brown is my homie. Good friend, even better person. Last time he played a Destiny party, he closed the night after Chase & Status got off stage and he actually ended up making the place stay open 40 minutes longer, and EVERYONE was saying how much better his set was than Chase & Status. He's got tunes. 

Lush is a sick DJ, nuff said.

OMG!OMG!OMG! That 1st flyer looks an awful lot like old breakbeat.co.uk flyers I used to get with my albums. I mite just have to move to toronto. It's way closer to me than the u.k.

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #4,416 of 6,987
Quote:
I dunno mang skynet, tech itch, usual suspects, loxy and ink, bad company, ed rush and optical, roni size and crew, jmajic. D&B was just hitting it's stride right then imo. Just discovered this thred. This is friggin sweet. What are some of your guys favorite headphones?

Indeed, that's why I said arguably, but no doubt Bad Company, Ed Rush & Optical, Roni Size, the True Playaz camp etc all made way for what dnb is today, but Goldie's release is still one of those releases that really is timeless. Especially being such an early release, it was so different compared to the rest of hardcore, house, techno and breakbeat that was popular in the scene then. I really wish I was around more for the early dnb scene, but I've brushed up on my history, and this release really sticks out, and for good reason. 

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #4,417 of 6,987
Quote:
OMG!OMG!OMG! That 1st flyer looks an awful lot like old breakbeat.co.uk flyers I used to get with my albums. I mite just have to move to toronto. It's way closer to me than the u.k.

We've got some world class local DJs here, including NC-17, Mr. Brown and the Soul In Motion crew, Marcus Visionary (who's actually on the Outlook Festival line up in Croatia), Gremlinz (Metalheadz), Rene Lavice (RAM), and one local act that got very big very quick to the point that they don't even play in Toronto more than once a year anymore (used to be every week) is Zed's Dead. We've got weeklies for every kind of music you can imagine and the dnb scene is very strong. 

As for my favourite headphones, I'm SUPER biased cuz it's my only pair, but the V-Moda M-100 is my go-to headphone, and they're no slouch on bass, nor detail, and are easily the best ~$300 headphone for EDM

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #4,418 of 6,987

This always makes me giggle in wonder. So catchy! The rest of the album is not really up with this but I'm glad this really exists. I would like to not feel weird walking with my arms straight back in the centrum so I could do it more.

Feb 16, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #4,419 of 6,987
I seem to be having a bit of a trance weekend this weekend. I don't remember posting this tune in this thread, so here's Oceanus.

Edit
Also, here's Submarine to balance the progressive with some uplifting. The middle section is just… breathtaking.

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #4,423 of 6,987
Quote:

We've got some world class local DJs here, including NC-17, Mr. Brown and the Soul In Motion crew, Marcus Visionary (who's actually on the Outlook Festival line up in Croatia), Gremlinz (Metalheadz), Rene Lavice (RAM), and one local act that got very big very quick to the point that they don't even play in Toronto more than once a year anymore (used to be every week) is Zed's Dead. We've got weeklies for every kind of music you can imagine and the dnb scene is very strong. 

As for my favourite headphones, I'm SUPER biased cuz it's my only pair, but the V-Moda M-100 is my go-to headphone, and they're no slouch on bass, nor detail, and are easily the best ~$300 headphone for EDM

We used to have a killer d&b scene but its kinda been replaced with allot of dubstep. Tech Itch used to date a girl from the lou so I used to see him and dylan spin twicee a month. There was also a place called club lo that brought in SS, total science, ray keith, aphrodite, and goldie, individually over the course of a couple of months one summer. It held 50 people tops and there was stil plenty of room to move around. I guess they didn't promote it? Best $10 I ever spent. I have never seen a pure d&b flyer like that first flyer outside of the u.k. You guys even put a largemouth on the flyer. Chicago used to have an even better scene than we did and I think allot of their dj's are very underated. I would take Danny the wild child, 3D, and Phantom 45 over planet of the drums any day. Ever heard d&b out of a ultrasone pro 900?

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #4,424 of 6,987
Quote:
We used to have a killer d&b scene but its kinda been replaced with allot of dubstep. Tech Itch used to date a girl from the lou so I used to see him and dylan spin twicee a month. There was also a place called club lo that brought in SS, total science, ray keith, aphrodite, and goldie, individually over the course of a couple of months one summer. It held 50 people tops and there was stil plenty of room to move around. I guess they didn't promote it? Best $10 I ever spent. I have never seen a pure d&b flyer like that first flyer outside of the u.k. You guys even put a largemouth on the flyer. Chicago used to have an even better scene than we did and I think allot of their dj's are very underated. I would take Danny the wild child, 3D, and Phantom 45 over planet of the drums any day. Ever heard d&b out of a ultrasone pro 900?

For a little while from 2010-mid 2012, dubstep was all that was going on around Toronto, and the junglist scene got pretty pissed off at Destiny last year for not holding it down for the junglists, and Bass Week is their answer, I wonder how WEMF is going to look this year, I think dnb is going to be showcased a bit more. If you look at past WEMF line ups compared to the last two years, it got very commercial and dubstep is bigger than most people like. Me personally, I think that any junglist who missed out on WEMF12 because they thought there was too much dubstep is an idiot. So many good sets, and DJs that SHOWED UP (WEMF11 for example, everyone bitched out the dubstep, meanwhile Doctor P and Flux Pavillion didn't even make it due to flights AND  both Loadstar, and Noisia played extended sets because of it). Below is the flyers for each of those. WEMF is a a giant dirty 3 day rave, but it's fun, and I promote for Destiny so i guess being a benefactor of the festival helps lol. You should see the flip side of the Bass Week flyer, it's fully just the largemouth with BASSWEEK on it. 

As for a club here that's had lots of acts, It's all about the Annex Wreckroom. Since November, they've had (and I know I'll forget someone) Calyx & Teebee, Klute, S.P.Y, The Upbeats, Fabio (next week), The Brookes Brothers (just happened on Saturday), Kenny Ken & Crissy Criss, Icicle & Audio, and there's two parties on that Bass Week flyer that are happening at the Wreckroom, Nicky Blackmarket and Grooverider & SS w/ Skibba. But last year, Drum and bass wasn't like this in the city. Sure there were lots of great parties, but they were like, once a month. Now it's every week. On top of all the headliners, there's constantly local jams going on. 

And no, I haven't heard dnb on the Pro900. Any good? 

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #4,425 of 6,987

Users who are viewing this thread

Back