Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.)
Apr 13, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #137 of 6,987

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #139 of 6,987
MorbidToaster, I have feeling you and I will have much to discuss and share at this upcoming Austin meet, unless I'm mistaken. :)   You happened to name some of my very favorite electronic musicians in your OP (Netsky. Noisia, to name a couple).   Drumnbass has been my electronic music of choice for a long, long time but I have a deep and thorough fondness for many flavors of dubstep too (not a big fan of the current mega-wobble dub styles though - I'm more of a Burial man myself)

As a brief contribution to the thread, here's a few youtubes of an artist I think everyone should be aware of if they aren't already.  Since I didn't see him mentioned yet, I thought I'd share some of my favorites.  This man utterly rocks my little world.  

Shock One - "True Believer" featuring Phetsta & Metrik http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xND-o2pgUN0&feature=fvwrel
Shock One - "Polygon" featuring Reija http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAmC-bdkSSE

And one of my very favorite dubstep tracks ever..,

Shock One - "Adachigahara's Theme" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx-R7JI9NwM

None of these youtubes are of decent quality sadly, but that's what comes with youtube.  Better to hear a rough, compressed version than not at all I suppose.  

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #140 of 6,987
MorbidToaster, I have feeling you and I will have much to discuss and share at this upcoming Austin meet, unless I'm mistaken. :)   You happened to name some of my very favorite electronic musicians in your OP (Netsky. Noisia, to name a couple).   Drumnbass has been my electronic music of choice for a long, long time but I have a deep and thorough fondness for many flavors of dubstep too (not a big fan of the current mega-wobble dub styles though - I'm more of a Burial man myself)

As a brief contribution to the thread, here's a few youtubes of an artist I think everyone should be aware of if they aren't already.  Since I didn't see him mentioned yet, I thought I'd share some of my favorites.  This man utterly rocks my little world.  

Shock One - "True Believer" featuring Phetsta & Metrik http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xND-o2pgUN0&feature=fvwrel
Shock One - "Polygon" featuring Reija http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAmC-bdkSSE

None of these youtubes are of decent quality sadly, but that's what comes with youtube.  Better to hear a rough, compressed version than not at all I suppose.  

I'm now much more excited about this meet than I previously was. Bring your CDs for the love of god (if you do in fact own the physical media)

Secondly, Shock One is absolutely amazing, Only recently discovered (by me), I've been eating up all I could.

EDIT: I pretty much think that NOISIA's Split the Atom EP is one of if not the greatest release of all time. Just by the way. lol

Also, are you planning on hitting up Nocturnal this year?

Apr 13, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #141 of 6,987

Quote:
Quote:

I'm now much more excited about this meet than I previously was. Bring your CDs for the love of god (if you do in fact own the physical media)

Secondly, Shock One is absolutely amazing, Only recently discovered (by me), I've been eating up all I could.

EDIT: I pretty much think that NOISIA's Split the Atom EP is one of if not the greatest release of all time. Just by the way. lol

Also, are you planning on hitting up Nocturnal this year?

I'm delighted to hear it.  And yes I agree that the Split the Atom EP was divinely inspired, if I may be so bold.   Right now I'm partial to 'Sunhammer' with Amon Tobin myself.  I adore Amon Tobin and find what he brings to Noisia makes for something profound to say the least.   I don't have the CD but I do have the EP in FLAC format; in fact most of my music is in FLAC or high-bitrate MP3 if I'm forced to endure it.  I somewhat abandoned the CD format awhile back, with the exception of an occasional SACD just to make some use of the Super Audio CD player I bought from a Head-Fi'er awhile back, but in truth that mostly collects dust in my closet.    Anyway, I'll bring my entire collection if I can on the laptop.   I'm actually in the progress of moving everything from my various external HDDs and my desktop PC to my laptop right now so I have everything at hand at the meet.  Really looking forward to it.  This will be my first Head-fi meet.  

As to Nocturnal, I'd love to go of course, but I'm not sure yet if I can.  We'll see.  

Apr 13, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #142 of 6,987

Quote:
I'm delighted to hear it.  And yes I agree that the Split the Atom EP was divinely inspired, if I may be so bold.   Right now I'm partial to 'Sunhammer' with Amon Tobin myself.  I adore Amon Tobin and find what he brings to Noisia makes for something profound to say the least.   I don't have the CD but I do have the EP in FLAC format; in fact most of my music is in FLAC or high-bitrate MP3 if I'm forced to endure it.  I somewhat abandoned the CD format awhile back, with the exception of an occasional SACD just to make some use of the Super Audio CD player I bought from a Head-Fi'er awhile back, but in truth that mostly collects dust in my closet.    Anyway, I'll bring my entire collection if I can on the laptop.   I'm actually in the progress of moving everything from my various external HDDs and my desktop PC to my laptop right now so I have everything at hand at the meet.  Really looking forward to it.  This will be my first Head-fi meet.  

As to Nocturnal, I'd love to go of course, but I'm not sure yet if I can.  We'll see.  

As a side note, I feel fairly confident in saying you're going to lose your crap when I show you my favorite little toy I picked up at a DJ shop in Tokyo last year, the digizoid ZO portable subwoofer.  I'm particularly interested in hearing what it does for your D7000s (if you have them; your sig says in the mail).  I sold my D5000s before I acquired the device, and I've been itching to hear what it can do for headphones with better bass than my Phiaton MS400s.  Don't get me wrong;  it turns them into absolute bass monsters in a way no EQ can even come close, but still I know they can do more for cans that can handle it.  It's truly a remarkable piece of hardware for bass-enthusiasts such as ourselves.  

Apr 13, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #143 of 6,987

Quote:
As a side note, I feel fairly confident in saying you're going to lose your crap when I show you my favorite little toy I picked up at a DJ shop in Tokyo last year, the digizoid ZO portable subwoofer.  I'm particularly interested in hearing what it does for your D7000s (if you have them; your sig says in the mail).  I sold my D5000s before I acquired the device, and I've been itching to hear what it can do for headphones with better bass than my Phiaton MS400s.  Don't get me wrong;  it turns them into absolute bass monsters in a way no EQ can even come close, but still I know they can do more for cans that can handle it.  It's truly a remarkable piece of hardware for bass-enthusiasts such as ourselves.  

So, dmcs414, were you convinced by the ZO portable subwoofer? I've been curious about it for quite some time, but the battery run time kinda pushed me away. Though I've always thought about slipping that baby between a DAC and an amp, just for kicks. And the same way you're curious about how the ZO would change D7000s, I'm curious about how they would change the Pro 900s.

Apr 13, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #144 of 6,987
I'm very interested in it. I recently learned about it actually. Been eating up all the impressions and such I could find, but with an Arrow on the way I wasn't sure I'd ever need one.

Also. I am out of town, and my D7000s should come in the mail on Thursday...The problem with this is...I think I'm getting into town from SA directly to the meet. So...the headphones will be at my home...for 3 days...and I won't have them for the meet. So close, yet so far away.

Also, as far as your collection goes...Time to clear off my external Hard Drive...and devour what I can of yours.

So, dmcs414, were you convinced by the ZO portable subwoofer? I've been curious about it for quite some time, but the battery run time kinda pushed me away. Though I've always thought about slipping that baby between a DAC and an amp, just for kicks. And the same way you're curious about how the ZO would change D7000s, I'm curious about how they would change the Pro 900s.

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #145 of 6,987

Quote:

Absolutely. I'll repost my thoughts I shared on the device in the ZO mini-review I found here shortly after I acquired it.  If anything my fondness for it has grown since then, as I've been able to use it with my somewhat more decent DAC/AMP, the E-mu 0404 USB and FLAC tracks on my laptop.  I still haven't had a chance to use it connected to a proper desktop amp but I'm eager to do so at the upcoming Austin meet this weekend.  At the moment I'm still trying to decide if I want to purchase a tube or ss desktop amp to repace my previous amps I sold, but once I do I'll be sure to post more thoughts on how it sounds when used with whatever I end up purchasing.

Let me also stress that I've tried many portable amps with a bass boost function and found all these to be lacking compared to what the ZO does for bass, in that as far as I can tell, the ZO doesn't nearly as much muddle or obscure the mids and highs and if I want to listen to any sort of bass-heavy music through headphones, I use it without hesitation.  

Re-posted from http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/504037/mini-review-digizoid-zo-portable-subwoofer

Quote:
While vacationing in Tokyo (Shibuya specifically) 2 days ago I came across this little device at a DJ record store/supply shop and thought I'd give it a try.  Let me preface by saying my music tastes vary quite a bit from classical, jazz, world, rock and more, but for my entire adult life I've always had a fondness for various types of electronic music which I discovered in my teens in the underground "rave" scene where I lived at the time. 

Lately my tastes in this area have leaned more towards drum-n-bass, dubstep, electro and other similar subgenres with a heavy emphasis on bass.  Over the last few years I've tried many different headphones and portable amps often recommended for "bassheads", which I hoped might be able to reproduce these styles of music generally best experienced in a club or party with a proper sound system to reproduce the intense levels of bass required to achieve the desired effect.  (Definitely an acquired taste) 

I had for a time been hopeful that I could somewhat approximate this with my former Denon D2000s and various portable amps and sources but always felt the bass was just too shy or when EQ'd to bring up the low-end, the obscuring effect over the mids and highs was too much and thus I pretty much gave up trying to enjoy this music via headphones and limited my headphone listening to other types of music.  A little sad I was to come to this conclusion, but no biggie.

Enter the digiZoid ZO "portable subwoofer" and the cans I happen to have with me on my trip, some Phiaton MS400s I picked up at the airport since my wife had my usual go-to portable headphones, audio-technica ESW9s.  The Phiatons are nothing special and prior to buying the ZO I felt certain I'd sell them here when I returned home.  To my vast delight I found this little unassuming, inexpensive device was able to turn my Phiaton MS400s into the best portable listening experience I've ever encountered for specifically these types of music.  BTW my source at the moment is either my iPad or Samsung Captivate with only the ZO between it and my Phiatons.  I should stress that my utter joy in using this device really is limited to bass-heavy electronic music and that alone.  For almost anything else,  I'd stick with a decent portable amp and headphones with overall better fidelity like my ATH-ESW9s, or use the ZO with the lowest settings, or "green" on the contour bar.

However, if you're like me and have always lusted over the idea of taking Burial, Shock One, Chase & Status, Justice and the like with you while you're out and about, I cannot recommend this little guy enough.  Just play with the presets until you find the one that best compliments your personal taste.  For me this thing is practically an answered prayer, amazingly, and I couldn't be happier with it.

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #146 of 6,987

Quote:

BTW, yes the battery life is somewhat limited, but since it charges off a USB cable, it's not too much of a bother.  I usually just leave it plugged into my laptop when I'm not using it and never have to worry about it.  

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #147 of 6,987

BTW, yes the battery life is somewhat limited, but since it charges off a USB cable, it's not too much of a bother.  I usually just leave it plugged into my laptop when I'm not using it and never have to worry about it.  

I'm looking forward to trying this at the meet. It just looks cool, if it delivers, I may have to pick one up. Although with an Arrow on the way, and my habit of buying bass focused cans anyway, I may not need one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back