Electric Ladyland
Jun 22, 2002 at 3:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Matthew-Spaltro

1000+ M-m-er:Larthenon Marthenon.
What a great album but man what horrible I mean HORRIBLE production. Back when I had bad cans I liked the sound quality but now that I have good headphones all the weaknesses in the recording come full circle to me.

Jun 22, 2002 at 5:22 AM Post #2 of 9
Yeah, which version do you have? Not the 1997 remaster, is it? I'm about to stock up on Jimi and suppose I should make sure I get the good versions. ...

kerelybonto

Jun 22, 2002 at 5:40 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
Yeah, which version do you have? Not the 1997 remaster, is it? I'm about to stock up on Jimi and suppose I should make sure I get the good versions. ...

kerelybonto

Yes it's the 97 remaster. However I have heard that all the versions suck in the sound quality department.

Jun 22, 2002 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 9
Greetings Matt!
What do you not like about the production of this cd? I'm listening to it right now and can say that there is tape hiss from the master and the vocals are mixed too high. I would much rather hear more of the brilliant rhythm guitar work. I also notice that alot, and there is ALOT, of what is going on in the background is muddled together. I'm wondering if this can be attributed to the technological recording limitations of that time. I don't think that the technology could keep up with Jimi's vision. The man was way ahead of his time...

What do you think of the other remasters?

I'm hoping for the day when they will release Jimi on SACD and/or DVD-A. I think that should be a no brainer as far as sales are concerned, as well as Pink Floyd.

Regards

Jun 22, 2002 at 10:19 PM Post #5 of 9
I remember when Electric Ladyland first came out (in '69 I think) we thought it sounded very fine. That and Axis were favorite headphone records as well. The 1997 remastering was truer to the original LP than previous CD versions, which endeavored to reduce the tape hiss but also reduced the dynamics and soundstage.

Hendrix was trying to do new things (in the world of rock) at his Electric Lady studio. But sonic breakthroughs would not happen generally in the rock world for another few years (Jazz recording was usually decades more advanced). Also I think it is useful to keep in mind that Jimi was used to hearing his music through Marshalls and Fenders.

I'm not optimistic that higher resolution digital formats will yield significant improvements in most rock recordings of the '60s. That takes nothing away from the beauty and mastery of the music of Jimi Hendrix.

Jun 22, 2002 at 10:40 PM Post #6 of 9
A good number of older recordings that have been remastered suffer from the tape hiss you mention. It is due to the limitations of the recording medium of the time. To eliminate it would result in a dull lifeless recording. I have several that exhibit this, the worse one being a Cream CD Wheels of Fire.

Jun 22, 2002 at 10:43 PM Post #7 of 9
Hmmmm...

From what I understand....

Electric Ladyland is about the epitome of what was possbile in sound circa '69 or whenever the date was....

Many people have testified to the greatness of Jimi's recordings... Including Electric Ladyland. I doubt that with appropriate equipment that it "sucks"...

My suspicion is that most modern equipment can't keep up with Jimi....

I don't own this disc, but I own Jimi's "Best of..." which includes songs from "Electric Ladyland".... and they sound incredible for the time period...

markl

Jun 29, 2002 at 12:50 PM Post #9 of 9
The Doors had some of the best recordings of the time. Hendrics has to me always sounded bad evean on LP and on great equipment. The Problem i have noticed with the CD versions is that the rollod off bass that was used to be LP frendly was also caried over to the early CD versions. the remastered versions claimed to remove this but i have yet to hear a remastered CD that could match the good old LP is far as sonics go with the exception of bass. LP's never had Deep bass and the arm/Picup resonense added to the problem. However from the midrange up CD's sound dark by comparrison to the Lp. Besides i miss those Tic's and pop's from records.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back