Electric-Avenues PA2V2 - Anyone have this?

Discussion in 'Portable Headphone Amps' started by TERMiNAL_, Apr 10, 2018.
  1. TERMiNAL_
    Anyone else have one of these little amps?

I am wondering what amp it could compare to?, I am getting the Topping D30 for a DAC really soon and Topping also sells the Topping A30.

Going from the PA2V2 to a Topping A30...not sure how much of an upgrade that is.

And I'm not interested in Schiit products, after reading so many negative things and reading that the pot is scratchy on basically all of them, while this PA2V2 has a high-quality Bourns pot...

2. oneula
    the PA2V2 is a good amp one of the few that run on regular and recharging batteries in small form factor
    I just picked up a Topping NX1c because its thinner but it requires a recharge by USB the topping has more punch but the PA2V2 sound smoother to me
    to me its better for long trips with no available AC to recharge
    I have a battery powered player as well for the cause

3. ClieOS Contributor
    Surprised there are still PA2V2 users out there. While it does its job, it is still a very outdated design and even cmoy is better performance wise.

4. oneula
    yup 2 AA batteries very portable
    Having tried those mint can cmoy yet
    I like the idea supporting a small business guy like gary

I have the topping NX1s, SMSL sAp7, and soon Headamp Pico which are also very portable amps but they have to be charged meaning cord and socket
    My source also run on a single AA so I don't really need cords and chargers

If I want to go naked ie without gear I'll just tale my LG V30 and some buds

5. luckybaer
    my 1st amp. now look what happened.

6. Princeps Fidelis
    I have run a PA2V2 for a few years now. I've used it to run an AKG K240, Bose QC15, Etymotic ER-6, Shure SE215, and a plethora of AliExpress IEMs. My primary use for it was as an IEM amplifier to both improve sound quality and add some volume/bass to my motorcyle helmet communication unit (a Sena 10s) as a source going to IEMs. But I did use it at the desk with headphones as well.

Sound:
    Has a warmish, kind of tubey sound. Not the most technical/accurate, a little on the "slow" side. Overall smooth and pleasant sound to my ears. In my opinion, a good amp for rock, blues rock, alt rock, etc., music with guitar, bass, drums. As opposed to EDM/hip hop with synthesized instruments/sound. Can have a bit of harshness/distortion in the frequency range that vocals are often found. This phenomena occurs for me when my Sena unit beeps tones at me for example. The tones come out amplified (probably perceived as a result of the distortion) and distorted compared to some of my other portable amplifiers. It honestly reminds me of Fender guitar/bass amplifiers as opposed to Marshalls if there are any electric guitar people reading this review. I have heard rumors that this could be caused by the use of alkaline AA batteries as opposed to rechargeable. I noticed the same issue in either case.

Important things to note:
    • No DAC if that matters to you.
    • Uses AA batteries
      • For me it meant never worrying about battery power. I would just throw a fresh set of batteries in. If an NX1s or Fiio A3 for example run out of charge, you either need to lug around a power supply or wait for it to charge.
      • Due to use of AA batteries, form factor is larger than required, boxy shape means it doesn't sit in my motorcycle jacket as well. It leaves an imprint due to its thickness. I prefer flatter portable amps as I typically use them in a pocket.
    • I personally like the large and solid toggle power switch. Makes it easy to use by touch alone.
    • Has internal balance adjustment, good because you'll need it. Like many other portable amps, they tend to unabalance the signal level between left and right, typically with left noticeably louder at particularly low volume settings on the amp. So you'll probably balance the output at the typical volume/gain range you will use it or deal with some unbalanced signal. I see this as a big pro as most portable amps that have this characteristic lack the balance adjustment.
    • Seems to be more sensitive to EM noise than most Chi-Fi amps, particularly those with metal bodies.
    • In my opinion, kinda pricey if you put it head to head with a lot of other Chi-Fi portable amps that often outperform the PA2V2 for less, but if you like that kinda tubey sound and/or like the kinda retro/vintage/DIY charm of the PA2V2, I can understand. So can the thousands of people where the PA2V2 was the gateway drug to the world of portable amps.
    • Maybe due to my usage in pocket, to help prevent the volume knob from being turned inadvertently in my pocket, I pulled and slipped an o-ring over the volume knob so it sits between the face of the amp and the underside of the knob to add some resistance. I mention this because many people do pocket their portable amps, and for example with an NX1s, the volume knob is guarded by those aluminum knobs. A handy feature for pocket use in my opinion.
    • I prefer my portable amps to have the input, output and knob all on the same side/surface. If the amp is in my pocket, I want to be able to access the power/volume, and have my cables coming out the top. For example, I like the Fiio A3. It's somewhat comparable to the NX1s. But I dislike how the volume/power knob is on the opposite side to the ports/cables. Maybe this makes sense if you run your amp banded to your phone or media player, but for pocket use, it means having to pull the unit out of your pocket to turn it on and off.
    Size comparison with an NX1s.
    https://imgur.com/a/apDyXQS
    https://imgur.com/a/UMbdzEp