Elbow - Where Do I Start?
Oct 25, 2008 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

DLeeWebb

Headphoneus Supremus
I was listening to Left-Of-Center on Sirius and I heard a song, (I didn't catch the title...) but I know it was from their newest album "Seldom Seen Kid." I REALLY liked it. I previously had never heard of this band except for the random mention of them around Head-Fi. I know this album just won the "Mercury Prize," and I have ordered it. What's the word on this band? Which of their albums should I consider buying next? TIA
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #2 of 15
I really like "Asleep In The Back", I think it's still my fav.

Oct 25, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #3 of 15
Personally I love all their albums, although my absolute favourite is "cast of thousands". It's gorgeous and I love "grace under pressure" on it. That said I love "seldom seen kid" and had "one day like this" played at my wedding a couple of months ago!

Oct 25, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #4 of 15
I like Asleep in the Back (soo melancholy!) but A Cast of Thousands seem to get universal praise, you might want to start there.

As for The Seldom Seen Kid... great album! Best i've heard all year. so glad they finally won the Mercury Music Prize after they were snubbed from their last nomination, Asleep in the Back.

I'm guessing you probably heard "Grounds for Divorce" on Sirius.
YouTube - Elbow - Grounds For Divorce

Oct 27, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #5 of 15
Thanks everybody, I took the chance and ordered a couple of their albums. I'm hoping that I like their other songs as much as the original song that I heard. I guess we'll see...any other comments regarding Elbow are certainly welcome...
cool.gif

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:00 PM Post #10 of 15
I only have The Seldom Seen kid. I like starlings. The first lines make me laugh: 'How dare the premier ignore my invitations? He'll have to go'. That's so easy, so black-white.
wink.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #13 of 15
I started with Asleep in the back, definitely a stellar opening..
then Leaders and Seldom Seen Kid..

Cast of Thousands didn't catch me and I never listened to it much until I saw them live
they ended with an amazing song that I hadn't heard before and I found out it was Grace Under Pressure. I revisited Cast and watched the special edition dvd, it's become my favorite.

they've got that special something... totally unabashed music that is straight from heart to heart.

Nov 6, 2008 at 11:28 AM Post #14 of 15
The four albums are superb, it is true, but if you really want to understand what they are all about, you HAVE to see them live. I was open mouthed in awe and wonder when I saw them on TV at Glastonbury and jumped at the chance of a ticket to see them at my local venue. This was before the Mercury Prize which sold the place out shortly afterwards. I have to say it was one of the best “feel good” gigs I’ve been to in ages. The band just seemed so happy, smiling all the way through the set. The general feeling of bonhomie even extended to the joyful backing singers/string section who were introduced individually.

Guy Garvey really engages with the audience in a way most front men simply can’t or won’t. There was none of the usual rock and roll histrionics shouting and screaming “Come on Leicesteeeer, we can’t hear you!”. Instead, there was two way conversation. He was chatting with the audience like we were his best mates. There was also his wicked sense of humour. At one point he read out a note from a chap in the balcony, saying he wanted to ask his girlfriend something during the next song. When the band finished, he asked if she’d said yes. She had. "Thank screw for that", say’s Guy, then with a wry smile, launched into Grounds for Divorce.

All in all, the best £20 I’ve spent in ages. If you get the chance, see them now before they graduate to arenas and stadiums and the magic starts to fade.

Nov 8, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by andyalfa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The four albums are superb, it is true, but if you really want to understand what they are all about, you HAVE to see them live. I was open mouthed in awe and wonder when I saw them on TV at Glastonbury and jumped at the chance of a ticket to see them at my local venue. This was before the Mercury Prize which sold the place out shortly afterwards. I have to say it was one of the best “feel good” gigs I’ve been to in ages. The band just seemed so happy, smiling all the way through the set. The general feeling of bonhomie even extended to the joyful backing singers/string section who were introduced individually.

Guy Garvey really engages with the audience in a way most front men simply can’t or won’t. There was none of the usual rock and roll histrionics shouting and screaming “Come on Leicesteeeer, we can’t hear you!”. Instead, there was two way conversation. He was chatting with the audience like we were his best mates. There was also his wicked sense of humour. At one point he read out a note from a chap in the balcony, saying he wanted to ask his girlfriend something during the next song. When the band finished, he asked if she’d said yes. She had. "Thank screw for that", say’s Guy, then with a wry smile, launched into Grounds for Divorce.

All in all, the best £20 I’ve spent in ages. If you get the chance, see them now before they graduate to arenas and stadiums and the magic starts to fade.

I hope that I get a chance to see them live sometime. I have been listening to their various albums for over a week now to the exclusion of almost everything else. I am impressed. There are times that I think that I'm listening to Radiohead. There are other times that a certain song sounds like Sting, or Genesis. Great band, I can't believe that it took me four albums to discover them!
confused_face(1).gif
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back