EHHA Rev A - Interest Thread
Sep 27, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #616 of 1,752
So, on a slightly different topic, I have been using the HD650's for the past couple of days.
I could wax poetic, but, all I can think to say right now is best summarized as "Holy Crap this amp sounds good!".  
L3000.gif

Sep 27, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #617 of 1,752
Yup, that amp really makes the Sennheisers shine!! Heck fell in love with the amp for the first time after listening to it nearly 3 years ago with a pair of HD580s.  You should "graduate" to orthos, or atleast give them a whirl, you might just become an orthohead
" class="bbcode_smiley" files.head-fi.org="" height="" http:="" images="" p="" smilies="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />

Glad to say that an EHHA was recently brought to life back home in India (BJT version with toshiba 2232/968s) and from what I hear (take a bow Gurubhai :p ), there are atleast a couple more on the way. So happy to see this amp getting the attention it so richly deserves.

Sep 27, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #619 of 1,752
It is hard to put down right now, that is for sure.

I will provide more useful observations, but, I want to spend a bit more time with it and the HD650's before I comment too much further.

Sep 28, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #620 of 1,752
Sachu - what's his eBay seller ID?  

Quote:
With the tubes in, depending on how tall your spacers are, it will be near impossible to fit them in a 3 inch high case.
Ordered it from John Ango from ebay. Got it in just over a week. I've bought all my par-metal chassis from him. I think he manages the ebay front for Antek and Par metal. I have two more chassis just like the one in the picture sitting here
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />

It is nearly 300x 300mm (probably smaller by a mm or two).

Sep 28, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #622 of 1,752
You can also order directly from their web site. It is the same guy. I know as he confirmed shipment of my case. Should have it by Friday at the latest. 

Now I just need the custom transformer to make an appearance.

In the meantime, HD650's are getting a workout.

www.par-metal.com

Sep 29, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #623 of 1,752
Powered up the boards tonite.
As expected the 7v antek gave 7.5V at TP3, but i still got 6.3V with tubes installed.
Without the amp connected i got +/- 30.1V at the power supply.
Will get more done tomorrow

Sep 29, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #624 of 1,752

Powered up the boards tonite.

As expected the 7v antek gave 7.5V at TP3, but i still got 6.3V with tubes installed.

Without the amp connected i got +/- 30.1V at the power supply.

Will get more done tomorrow

Good to see things are moving right along. Which transformer did you end up going with for the +/-30 supplies?

Sep 29, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #626 of 1,752
Got word from Richard at Sumr, my transformer shipped yesterday via Canada Post. Yeah!

Now I am on the other side of the transit wait cycle (Canada to USA).

Any bets on the date it shows up?  
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 29, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #627 of 1,752
BTW, this amp resolves like a MoFo.

I can clearly hear a difference between the filter settings on the gamma2. The settings have a subtle effect on the sound, but, it is definitely discern-able.

Nice.

Sep 29, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #628 of 1,752
!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you serious?! I could not tell the difference between the various settings on gamma2 with my millett hybrid, no difference at all. Must finish all my assignments and continue building.

Sep 29, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #629 of 1,752
I know, I know, sounds crazy, but, I swear it is true.

You can't switch back and forth, per se, you have to listen a bit with each of them and get a flavor for what they really do. A high quality, rather open recording helps as well. I threw on Steely Dan's "Two Against Nature" which is always good for critical listening, be it speakers or headphones. Good tunes as well (if you are a Dan head).

Anything with well-recorded vocals really shows the difference. Any recording with a sense of space or air. Flat out rock does not really do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back