Effect of Airhead.
Jan 21, 2010 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

iHelp

500+ Head-Fier
With the headphones in my signature (mainly the MS-1), would the Total Airhead make a difference? Or should I wait and buy better equipment and then a better home amp?

Thanks
smile.gif

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #2 of 6
Versus straight from an iPod? Not much, just increased volume, mostly. I'm comparing Grado SR80s, which are very similar to the MS-1s. Versus macbook audio out, you'd be better off with the USB of the Bithead.

Jan 23, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #3 of 6
Of course the better gear you get the better results you can get, but I have the AirHead and prefer it by a large margin to just the iPod. Sure you can get the same level of volume with the iPod, but remember, amping is not about volume, so much as control of the headphones drivers. So even with all my Grados, SR80, SR325is, and RS1i I still prefer a amp at all times. If you get an AirHead, listen to it with your iPod as a source, (Lossless of course) for a month or two, then go back to listening straight from an iPod, I'll bet you'll hear a definitive step up and down between the two.

Jan 26, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by kboe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course the better gear you get the better results you can get, but I have the AirHead and prefer it by a large margin to just the iPod. Sure you can get the same level of volume with the iPod, but remember, amping is not about volume, so much as control of the headphones drivers. So even with all my Grados, SR80, SR325is, and RS1i I still prefer a amp at all times. If you get an AirHead, listen to it with your iPod as a source, (Lossless of course) for a month or two, then go back to listening straight from an iPod, I'll bet you'll hear a definitive step up and down between the two.

Which is where I have to disagree, but then again I use my iPod and SR80s in a portable (walking around town.
tongue.gif
) setup so the extra weight, size and complexity of carrying my iPod AND bithead around is not worth the marginal quality improvement on those phones.

If I plan on hooking up higher impedence phones to my iPod or using indoors the bithead is absolutely needed.

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #5 of 6
Hi,

I think the iPod benefits from a decent amp. All of the portable amps I've used with various Grados had a significant improvement in sound quality. You can read my review of the Airhead in my sig for more information.

Peace,

Ross

Users who are viewing this thread

Back